What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (2 Viewers)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Does anyone know if the Full-Coats to Fred Hynes sound design still exist?
Or, is this a case of nothing being known, until that day were access to the vaults is finally permitted?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Does anyone know if the Full-Coats to Fred Hynes sound design still exist?
Or, is this a case of nothing being known, until that day were access to the vaults is finally permitted?

As I recall, there are m&e, along with a mix of other surviving tracks, bits and pieces.

The original 6-track is fine, and sounds magnificent

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As I recall, there are m&e, along with a mix of other surviving tracks, bits and pieces.

The original 6-track is fine, and sounds magnificent
Is it a luck of the draw when tracks remain in stable conditions, while the elements of the film, itself, are in a state of vinegar?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, as far as The Alamo is concerned, his replacement will probably be just as bad.
That looks like a tall order if I recall correctly what has happened with The Alamo.

I think there is a good chance that other execs would not be averse to external funding for big and prestigious projects if it makes them look good.

If I recall what has happened correctly the plan was for MGM to contribute mainly good will and not much else which at the time sounded like a potential win-win-win situation for the film, the studio and customers.

Since then several years have passed so I am not sure if MGM could be approched again with a similar offer but I would hope that something could still be done. On the plus side more is possible these days with faded prints as the technology for recovering color has improved so we might actually get a better representation of the roadshow print than we would have gotten some years ago. The OCN on the other hand has probably deteriorated some more but this should be more incentive to finally get going with the restoration.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Gary Barber was a deal maker and did not have any interest in any film after the deal was made. That was his downfall by not really caring if the movie worked or not, just so the deal was made. Unfortunately, the MGM board will more than likely search for someone of the same beliefs, but has a better track record of success after the deal. The library does not produce a lot of income, so it will more than likely be business as usual.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I wish Mr. Barber good luck with his career, hopefully not in a position where he can affect preservation/restoration issues.

It is a crap shoot. We have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it will be someone who cares about film and will entertain better efforts than Mr. Barber did.

It would be hard to find anyone with fewer of the right instincts about the value of the library.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
With MGM still hurting in the money department, I wouldn't count on any funds being put toward restorations right now.

FatherDude

Agent
Real Name
Jason
What I understood was that the main obstacle was attitude rather than money. MGM would not even permit outside funds to be raised to restore the movie --- I guess out of embarrassment?

Something I've always been curious about is how many roadshow prints were struck in the first place. Before the Toronto print was run across, it was believed that none survived, so I guess the assumption is they were all simply junked? Do we have it on any kind of authority how many of those prints originally existed?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
From Hollywood Elsewhere today....

Ding-Dong, Gary Barber Is Gone
Gary Barber, the narrow-faced, George Washington-resembling chairman/CEO of MGM and MGM Holdings Inc., has been whacked or, put more politely, “asked to leave.” Deadline‘s Anita Busch has reported that MGM Holdings deep-sixed Barber, who had run the company since 2010 and had four years to go on his current contract, “over disagreements on strategy about the future direction of the company,” whatever that means.

Hollywood Elsewhere says that Barber’s dismissal is an emotionally satisfying thing. Barber may have rejuvenated MGM to some extent and he may have been loved by his now-former employees, but he was an arrogant asshole when it came to the faith and creed of film restoration. For at least the last four years Barber stood in the way of the way of Robert Harris‘s attempt to independently fund a restoration of John Wayne‘s The Alamoa thoughtless and callous act from any responsible perspective.
Hopefully this is good news for The Alamo.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With over 2,200 posts concerning "The Alamo", it could be very easy to miss some of the finer details and entries concerning Gary Barber. So let us clarify and review where possible. Was Gary Barber the sole obstacle to archivists gaining access to the MGM library? Or was he just one of a collective group within the walls of MGM whose many names remain unknown? As we prepare for Barber's replacement, this would be a very good time to re-review and learn of other specific culprit(s) who might be involved. Certainly, Gary Barber was of zero help where restoration was concerned. Without a doubt, he will not be missed. And I, for one, can only hope that there will be further dismissals throughout the coming weeks of those who were cut from the same cloth. After all, the last thing a movie studio needs is a person in power who has neither love nor regard for the larger scope of motion pictures; past, present and future.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It is hard to hear the story of the miraculous discovery of the lone road show print in Toronto and to see that it was left to rot and not feel utmost contempt for all those involved.

I hate John Wayne movies and westerns in general, and I feel the loss!

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
It is hard to hear the story of the miraculous discovery of the lone road show print in Toronto and to see that it was left to rot and not feel utmost contempt for all those involved.

I hate John Wane movies and westerns in general, and I feel the loss!
Good thing you don't hate John Wayne movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks