What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The various running times of this film are somewhat bemusing. The "basic" version runs 162 minutes. Supposedly this is 26 minutes shorter than the LA premiere version, which makes that version 188 minutes. However the version passed by the BBFC in the UK (and presumably shown at the Astoria, Charing Cross Road on its UK premiere roadshow run) is 193 minutes, which is also the running time quoted in the Monthly Film Bulletin review. Presumably the UK running time includes overture, entre'acte and exit music (which the 162 minute version lacks). so accounting for the difference between this and the putative 188 minute version. The 1993 UK VHS release runs 202 minutes at 25 fps (PAL 4% speed up), which works out at 210 minutes at the correct speed and appears to be a version never shown theatrically. Presumably the new German Blu-ray of the 202 minute version is 25 fps, while the BD of the 162 minute version is 24 fps (the DVD in the set runs 155 minutes at 25fps).
The LD is also 202 minutes so that seems in line with the length of the Blu-ray. I would expect that UK VHS to not really be 202 minutes at 50 Hz after all. Most likely is some kind of typo regarding the length or the tape was really NTSC and not PAL. The German version is indeed 720p 23,976 Hz and most of the other versions probably mainly differ because the overture, intermission and exit music can make quite a difference through their absence or inclusion either separately or as a whole.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The LD is also 202 minutes so that seems in line with the length of the Blu-ray. I would expect that UK VHS to not really be 202 minutes at 50 Hz after all. Most likely is some kind of typo regarding the length or the tape was really NTSC and not PAL. The German version is indeed 720p 23,976 Hz and most of the other versions probably mainly differ because the overture, intermission and exit music can make quite a difference through their absence or inclusion either separately or as a whole.
I copied my UK VHS video to DVD years ago and it does run to 202 minutes, including Overture, Entr'Acte and Exit Music. The VHS box actually says 203 minutes. So presumably the VHS was NTSC.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I copied my UK VHS video to DVD years ago and it does run to 202 minutes, including Overture, Entr'Acte and Exit Music. The VHS box actually says 203 minutes. So presumably the VHS was NTSC.

That would be a good decision to keep it in NTSC as PAL speedup would really have been an issue with such a beautiful soundtrack.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not a good investment because there is a general lack of interest in older films among most of the general public.
That's my take on it too but Amazon is obviously run by people who know how to make money so maybe they plan on remaking a ton of MGM's movies. However, considering the relative lack of impact that MGM has had with the remakes of Ben Hur, The Magnificent Seven, Tomb Raider, Death Wish, Overboard, or Valley Girl in recent years, I don't know that I'd gamble $9 billion on making back that much from remaking even more of their library.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I think the streaming companies are buying up any content they can. Just as the film companies were acquiring the assets of failed film companies during the great home video era. It’s not the cost so much as how large is the library.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the streaming companies are buying up any content they can. Just as the film companies were acquiring the assets of failed film companies during the great home video era. It’s not the cost so much as how large is the library.
That's probably it and I'm sure they did a complete cost analysis to support this possible purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks