What's new

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Btw., it is astonishing to hardly see any difference between the 1080p feature and the downrezzed 720p material of the "extended cut".

That's great news. I was expecting the Roadshow version to be almost unwatchable & just there for completeness. My Blu-ray is arriving from Amazon.de today.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sounds promising. It's a shame that we are getting excited that a Todd-AO® film "looks pretty OK", but it is what it is.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sounds promising. It's a shame that we are getting excited that a Todd-AO® film "looks pretty OK", but it is what it is.

Got the disc now and it is quite impressive what Koch has done with the extended cut.

I have to wait for my kids to be back home to watch this but I could not help to take a peek - ot two or three for that matter.

I would still have kept the longer version at 1080p as the added scenes look quite horrible in any case so why lose any resolution for the better parts that make up more than 80% of the runtime and especially the film grain looks more natural in 1080p. But that is nitpicking as otherwise they did a really good job making that LD era content blend in within reason.

As for this being "only" OK yes it is not Lawrence of Arabia.

But it also isn't Mutiny on the Bounty, Battle of the Bulge or Hamlet that I consider all to look weaker and it is far from the ugliness of The Greatest Story Ever Told or El Cid.

In general the look and textures of the general release version of The Alamo seem to be superior to other relatively well received large format titles from MGM like Karthoum and Solomon and Sheba. This will not come as a surprise to people who have seen the digital version - same master after all. If it wasn't for the fact that it could look better still and its troubled history surrounding a possible restoration there probably wouldn't be too many complaints. To people who consider life to be too short to wait it is A LOT better than the LD and I happen to be one of these people who always wanted to watch the long version so I am happy I got it.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
To those who have the new blu ray set... is the Overture et al on either disc or both and how is the sound. In a year, 1960, of big epic films The Alamo revived the Best Sound Academy Award.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Got the disc now and it is quite impressive what Koch has done with the extended cut.

I have to wait for my kids to be back home to watch this but I could not help to take a peek - ot two or three for that matter.

I would still have kept the longer version at 1080p as the added scenes look quite horrible in any case so why lose any resolution for the better parts that make up more than 80% of the runtime and especially the film grain looks more natural in 1080p. But that is nitpicking as otherwise they did a really good job making that LD era content blend in within reason.

As for this being "only" OK yes it is not Lawrence of Arabia.

But it also isn't Mutiny on the Bounty, Battle of the Bulge or Hamlet that I consider all to look weaker and it is far from the ugliness of The Greatest Story Ever Told or El Cid.

In general the look and textures of the general release version of The Alamo seem to be superior to other relatively well received large format titles from MGM like Karthoum and Solomon and Sheba. This will not come as a surprise to people who have seen the digital version - same master after all. If it wasn't for the fact that it could look better still and its troubled history surrounding a possible restoration there probably wouldn't be too many complaints. To people who consider life to be too short to wait it is A LOT better than the LD and I happen to be one of these people who always wanted to watch the long version so I am happy I got it.
A pity not every movie coming to Blu Ray from 70mm original could look as good as what is in my view the best looking of the epics to land on Blu King of Kings which is stunning quality.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
A pity not every movie coming to Blu Ray from 70mm original could look as good as what is in my view the best looking of the epics to land on Blu King of Kings which is stunning quality.

King of Kings indeed looks very good. It helps that it also is a very handsome production and the score is at least the equal of the magnificent score for Ben-Hur.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
To those who have the new blu ray set... is the Overture et al on either disc or both and how is the sound. In a year, 1960, of big epic films The Alamo revived the Best Sound Academy Award.

Total length of the longer version is 202:49 minutes and it features an DTS HD MA soundtrack that is "only" 2.0 - hopefully in proper stereo and not dual mono. It contains the Overture, intermission and exit music.

The shorter version has no overture and exit music and I assume also no intermission. It is only 161:56 minutes, so almost 41 minutes shorter, and the sound is 5.1 DTS HD MA.

Looking forward to watching the longer version this summer!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Total length of the longer version is 202:49 minutes and it features an DTS HD MA soundtrack that is "only" 2.0 - hopefully in proper stereo and not dual mono. It contains the Overture, intermission and exit music.

The shorter version has no overture and exit music and I assume also no intermission. It is only 161:56 minutes, so almost 41 minutes shorter, and the sound is 5.1 DTS HD MA.

Guess I better hang on to my Laserdisc. It has the "extended" version with AC3 5.1 audio mix.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
King of Kings indeed looks very good. It helps that it also is a very handsome production and the score is at least the equal of the magnificent score for Ben-Hur.
Imagine how King of Kings and Ben-Hur would look in 4K UHD !!! :D Two of all time Epic Favorites. Both Deserve 4K Upgrades. King of Kings 60th Anniversary this year ! Nothing was done for Ben-Hur in 2019 ! ? :confused::unsure::huh:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yes, no Intermission or Entr’acte on the shorter version.

Les Mangram

Agent
Real Name
Alan
The various running times of this film are somewhat bemusing. The "basic" version runs 162 minutes. Supposedly this is 26 minutes shorter than the LA premiere version, which makes that version 188 minutes. However the version passed by the BBFC in the UK (and presumably shown at the Astoria, Charing Cross Road on its UK premiere roadshow run) is 193 minutes, which is also the running time quoted in the Monthly Film Bulletin review. Presumably the UK running time includes overture, entre'acte and exit music (which the 162 minute version lacks). so accounting for the difference between this and the putative 188 minute version. The 1993 UK VHS release runs 202 minutes at 25 fps (PAL 4% speed up), which works out at 210 minutes at the correct speed and appears to be a version never shown theatrically. Presumably the new German Blu-ray of the 202 minute version is 25 fps, while the BD of the 162 minute version is 24 fps (the DVD in the set runs 155 minutes at 25fps).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just looked at Amazon.de and currently shows it as "unavailable". I hope that is temporary.

There were less than 10 left when I ordered mine yesterday.

Put my order in at Amazon/de a couple days ago. I really prefer the Koch Exclusive cover, but just can't justify $36-40 vs 65+ for it.

Due to the shipping cost of a single item I finally added a few 3D titles I'd been sitting on for a couple years to help with the average cost/item. Elected AmazonPremiumGlobal shipping since it was $1 more than Std or AGS with an estimated 6-9 days and $10 less than Priority. Ordered Th night, got shipping notice Friday with an estimated delivery from DHL of Tuesday 18th so either Amazon is bumping me to the Priority or PremiumGlobal is the same as Priority. Unfortunately the 10 days would have worked better since I'm not going to be home much of the week to enjoy them. The 4 items were even split into 2 shipments for the same cost.

If the German item is really sold out, at the French item is upcoming and hopefully with be similar content without the DVD

Real Name
Paul Tilburgs
The various running times of this film are somewhat bemusing. The "basic" version runs 162 minutes. Supposedly this is 26 minutes shorter than the LA premiere version, which makes that version 188 minutes. However the version passed by the BBFC in the UK (and presumably shown at the Astoria, Charing Cross Road on its UK premiere roadshow run) is 193 minutes, which is also the running time quoted in the Monthly Film Bulletin review. Presumably the UK running time includes overture, entre'acte and exit music (which the 162 minute version lacks). so accounting for the difference between this and the putative 188 minute version. The 1993 UK VHS release runs 202 minutes at 25 fps (PAL 4% speed up), which works out at 210 minutes at the correct speed and appears to be a version never shown theatrically. Presumably the new German Blu-ray of the 202 minute version is 25 fps, while the BD of the 162 minute version is 24 fps (the DVD in the set runs 155 minutes at 25fps).
No, the 202 minute version is in 24p. I mentioned this before. details:

1621120036155.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks