What's new

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I've just tested it and it is indeed region B locked.

By the way, make of this what you will, but although the back cover (not really the back cover, as it is just a sheet of paper) seems to indicate the "director's cut" is in SD (actually it just states that this version is ca. 202 minutes in SD), it is on the bonus Blu-ray disc in AVC with English DTS HD MA 2.0 audio and English subtitles, encoded in AVC and 24p...
That sounds like potentially good news on the directors cut. How does it look?

Real Name
Paul Tilburgs
That sounds like potentially good news on the directors cut. How does it look?
I only had a brief glance, but I would say the scenes/shots that are also in the theatrical cut look more or less the same as the theatrical cut itself on the first Blu-ray, which looks fine. The extra scenes look a little rougher, but still ok. Mind you, I have not had a chance to look at it in greater detail.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I only had a brief glance, but I would say the scenes/shots that are also in the theatrical cut look more or less the same as the theatrical cut itself on the first Blu-ray, which looks fine. The extra scenes look a little rougher, but still ok. Mind you, I have not had a chance to look at it in greater detail.
OK, that did it - order placed.
Koch Media have some downrezzed stills on their site that look very good for something coming from 35mm elements:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I am tempted to buy it at $49 but what are the chances that both versions might get released here in the USA by Kino-Lorber or MGM?

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Received my copy from Amazon.de today. :biggrin:

At last I can get rid of the DVD-R which I copied from the 1992 MGM VHS tape of the extended version, the picture quality of which is so bad that I never bothered to play it.

Extended version anamorphic?

Johannes S

Auditioning
Real Name
Johannes
Extended version anamorphic?
Hi Roland. Yes, the extended version is anamorphic in 720p/24. What they probably did is to downrez the 1080p picture from the theatrical cut to 720p and uprez the digimaster used for the laserdisc to 720p to insert the additional sequences.

Koch did an incredibly good job. The transition to the extended scenes is smooth and seamless. I presume they digitally adjusted the grain structure of the inserted footage to match the structure of the theatrical cut. Looks really good on my 88" screen.

This definitely is the best way the "extended" "director's cut" will look until the full Roadshow version will (hopefully) be restored some day. I will keep my Laserdisc for nostalgic reasons, but it can easily be replaced now. ;-)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Hi Roland. Yes, the extended version is anamorphic in 720p/24. What they probably did is to downrez the 1080p picture from the theatrical cut to 720p and uprez the digimaster used for the laserdisc to 720p to insert the additional sequences.

Koch did an incredibly good job. The transition to the extended scenes is smooth and seamless. I presume they digitally adjusted the grain structure of the inserted footage to match the structure of the theatrical cut. Looks really good on my 88" screen.

This definitely is the best way the "extended" "director's cut" will look until the full Roadshow version will (hopefully) be restored some day. I will keep my Laserdisc for nostalgic reasons, but it can easily be replaced now. ;-)

Very well done it seems, looks like my disc cannot come soon enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks