What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A 4x3 letterboxed master by definition cannot be anamorphic. On widescreen TVs, it will appear as having black bars on all four sides of the image.

I do agree that it will likely look ever so slightly better than the laserdisc because modern codecs and compression will do a better job of carrying and reproducing the signal compared to an analog laserdisc, but it’s a small difference. The larger benefit for people with the LD will simply be not having the hassle of hooking up the old laserdisc player and having to get up to switch discs throughout the film.

Vern Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Correct but should be Anamorphic which should make it a small upgrade over the Laserdisc.
If you are thinking of the old DVD "enhanced for widescreen" format, which changes the pixel aspect ratio between 10:11 for 4x3 sources and 40:33 for widescreen sources, that standard doesn't exist on BD or 4K discs. Square pixels are the only option on todays media.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If you are thinking of the old DVD "enhanced for widescreen" format, which changes the pixel aspect ratio between 10:11 for 4x3 sources and 40:33 for widescreen sources, that standard doesn't exist on BD or 4K discs. Square pixels are the only option on todays media.
ok yes that is what I was thinking

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
You can now pre-order The Alamo on Amazon.de with the total cost of $48.29 or 39.14 Euro to ship to the USA. The postage & packing is almost $15 and that is the case with a few films on my Amazon UK wish list.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You can now pre-order The Alamo on Amazon.de with the total cost of $48.29 or 39.14 Euro to ship to the USA. The postage & packing is almost $15 and that is the case with a few films on my Amazon UK wish list.
Thank you. I’ve placed my order to the U.K. I feel I have to get this, even though I don’t think it’s a very good film, apart from the final battle.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I pre-ordered it, I'm telling myself that the Amazon "A" cover is classier that the film poster version. The extended version is just an interesting extra which I might look at just to see the extra scenes. I'm thinking it'll look soft, very soft.

I really like the film, esp. after they arrive at the Alamo. It's a bit of my past, I can just about remember seeing it at the Odeon, Westbourne Grove, West London. My all time favourite cinema, knocked down decades ago of course.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A 4x3 letterboxed master by definition cannot be anamorphic. On widescreen TVs, it will appear as having black bars on all four sides of the image.

I do agree that it will likely look ever so slightly better than the laserdisc because modern codecs and compression will do a better job of carrying and reproducing the signal compared to an analog laserdisc, but it’s a small difference. The larger benefit for people with the LD will simply be not having the hassle of hooking up the old laserdisc player and having to get up to switch discs throughout the film.
A year-and-a-half ago when were were doing my film The Creature Wasn't Nice for DVD, the director's cut, unseen for forty years, all I had was a three-quarter-inch transfer, hard matted (the print was hard matted) to 1.85 and of course letterboxed in a 4x3 frame. They did a test for me, blowing up the image so the 1.85 would fill the screen. It was horrifying - the already soft image became a blurry smear. So, we figured we'd just leave it as is. And then, a week before they were going to author the disc, they got wind of a new technology. People were already lining up to use it, but my guy got in there and had them do a test and they sent it to me and I don't know exactly what the technology is, but the result was no loss in quality at all. I couldn't believe it and we did the transfer that way and it was great to be able to. I think we were the first release to be fully done with that technology.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A year-and-a-half ago when were were doing my film The Creature Wasn't Nice for DVD, the director's cut, unseen for forty years, all I had was a three-quarter-inch transfer, hard matted (the print was hard matted) to 1.85 and of course letterboxed in a 4x3 frame. They did a test for me, blowing up the image so the 1.85 would fill the screen. It was horrifying - the already soft image became a blurry smear. So, we figured we'd just leave it as is. And then, a week before they were going to author the disc, they got wind of a new technology. People were already lining up to use it, but my guy got in there and had them do a test and they sent it to me and I don't know exactly what the technology is, but the result was no loss in quality at all. I couldn't believe it and we did the transfer that way and it was great to be able to. I think we were the first release to be fully done with that technology.
What’s the tech?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Looks like a few folks have the Blu-ray but no comments on the quality of the transfer. Somebody did post a pic of the back cover.

1620652872651.png

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
True, many times discs are listed as Region B locked, only to find out after it’s released that the disc is actually region free
That was the case with the recent release of the Matt Helm Lounge UK set where it has the Region B label but did play in my Panasonic Blu-ray player.

David Norman

Premium
It has the B symbol so it will only play on a player from Europe, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.

Pretty much about as worthless as what Amazon says the region is -- actually take that back, The cover is about 50-60% accurate, AmazonUK is about 35% if only b/c roughly 35% of the discs are B-locked and 99% of Amazon listing indicate B locked

Koch is a bit less than 50/50 on Region A friendly. For a couple different reasons, I'd bet this will be locked. Nobody from the EU forums seem to have this is hand yet though a couple say they have dispatch notices.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul Tilburgs
That proves nothing, until someone actually tests the disc to see if it is region-locked or not.
I've just tested it and it is indeed region B locked.

By the way, make of this what you will, but although the back cover (not really the back cover, as it is just a sheet of paper) seems to indicate the "director's cut" is in SD (actually it just states that this version is ca. 202 minutes in SD), it is on the bonus Blu-ray disc in AVC with English DTS HD MA 2.0 audio and English subtitles, encoded in AVC and 24p...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markmcca