What's new
Real Name
cremers andre
The Koch German Region B release has the 202 minute version including Overture, Intermission and Exit Music in anamorphic widescreen as a supplement on a separate disc. I obtained my copy from an eBay source with no problem, and in fact bought the Oppo Blu-ray player modification module for changing regions specifically so we could watch it. I still have the laserdisc box set, and it’s watchable, but I’m glad to have the Koch release. I had read somewhere that the elements used for the laserdisc had been carelessly allowed to go to ruin, but am very glad to hear that it could still be restored if only the will (and funds) were to emerge.
Hello here are some pictures that I took myself on my tv, it's in 720p 16/9 blu-ray

Attachments

• alamo 001.jpg
    alamo 001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • alamo 002.jpg
    alamo 002.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • alamo 003.jpg
    alamo 003.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • alamo 004.jpg
    alamo 004.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 52
  • alamo 005.jpg
    alamo 005.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
  • alamo 006.jpg
    alamo 006.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • alamo 007.jpg
    alamo 007.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58
  • alamo 008.jpg
    alamo 008.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
  • alamo 010.jpg
    alamo 010.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 49
  • alamo 011.jpg
    alamo 011.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 52
  • alamo 012.jpg
    alamo 012.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • alamo 014.jpg
    alamo 014.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • alamo 029.jpg
    alamo 029.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • alamo 022.jpg
    alamo 022.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Since I believe you’ve previously indicated it costs about 4x as much to restore a large format film as it does 35mm, and if it’s not a question of money but indifference, that’s truly a shame.

Well, he said that "funds" were never an issue. The thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between having the money to spend and having the desire to spend it. I don't have the foggiest notion why MGM has never wanted to spend the money to restore The Alamo, but the most likely explanation (to me) is that the company has never felt there would be reasonable return on investment.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Well, he said that "funds" were never an issue. The thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between having the money to spend and having the desire to spend it. I don't have the foggiest notion why MGM has never wanted to spend the money to restore The Alamo, but the most likely explanation (to me) is that the company has never felt there would be reasonable return on investment.
And yet, you'll read tons of articles about the importance of film restoration and why we should donate, while some studios only consider things with a slide rule while farting away their library.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If I remember it right (which is not a given these days), a complete restoration wouldn't have cost MGM a penny, money was raised elsewhere, but for some reason MGM weren't interested, god knows why.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
A wild guess . Politics.
Would it recoup costs and would anyone care except the dwindling number of hardcore John Wayne fans ? It's hardly in the pantheon of great epics. Ambitious as it was, it was also critically derided (being kind.) I don't think it is joining other epics in the National Film Registry anytime soon.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
Would it recoup costs and would anyone care except the dwindling number of hardcore John Wayne fans ? It's hardly in the pantheon of great epics. Ambitious as it was, it was also critically derided (being kind.) I don't think it is joining other epics in the National Film Registry anytime soon.
The restoration was not going to cost MGM a dime. And they would have reaped the proceeds. I don’t know what else would have held up the restoration. Granted it is not a ‘great’ or even a ‘good film. That said it does have much to commend. I can think of no other reason why The Alamo has been treated in this manner. Politics comes to mind.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The restoration was not going to cost MGM a dime. And they would have reaped the proceeds. I don’t know what else would have held up the restoration. Granted it is not a ‘great’ or even a ‘good film. That said it does have much to commend. I can think of no other reason why The Alamo has been treated in this manner. Politics comes to mind.
We're not going there with such speculation!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s true that Robert Harris indicated in the past that outside entities had expressed interest in contributing financing for restorative work on the roadshow version. What wasn’t discussed was what the terms of said financing would be. People and corporate entities rarely give away money for nothing. If the terms were considered unacceptable by the rights holder, that’s the ballgame.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It’s true that Robert Harris indicated in the past that outside entities had expressed interest in contributing financing for restorative work on the roadshow version. What wasn’t discussed was what the terms of said financing would be. People and corporate entities rarely give away money for nothing. If the terms were considered unacceptable by the rights holder, that’s the ballgame.
There were no terms. Some basic guidelines: major corporate sponsors would receive credit and be able to access the restoration for screenings to promote other charities.

I have no problem helping raise funds for the likes of The American Cancer Society, St. Jude’s, or for that matter, the AFI, or the MPTF.

Approval was given, and then killed shortly thereafter - the first time - based upon an article written by Scott Eyman.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
There were no terms. Some basic guidelines: major corporate sponsors would receive credit and be able to access the restoration for screenings to promote other charities.

I have no problem helping raise funds for the likes of The American Cancer Society, St. Jude’s, or for that matter, the AFI, or the MPTF.

Approval was given, and then killed shortly thereafter - the first time - based upon an article written by Scott Eyman.
😢

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
At the time when we had a big thread on the forum there was also the speculation that it would have made MGM look weak to accept outside help.

It is possible that in order to not look even worse MGM decided to come up with the story of The Alamo not needing any attention at all as its elements were in great shape with nothing to worry about.

The overall impression to people who knew a little bit more about the whole project was that MGM stalled the project for reasons that were less than honorable and that at best their decision makers were utterly clueless about the state of the original elements.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
The overall impression to people who knew a little bit more about the whole project was that MGM stalled the project for reasons that were less than honorable and that at best their decision makers were utterly clueless about the state of the original elements.
Original Elements for the General Release Version? or Original Elements for the Roadshow Trims...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Original Elements for the General Release Version? or Original Elements for the Roadshow Trims...
I would assume that goes for both versions. And it would not come as a surprise if by now they consider the 70mm roadshow print as a lost cause that may just as well be swept under the carpet.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I would assume that goes for both versions. And it would not come as a surprise if by now they consider the 70mm roadshow print as a lost cause that may just as well be swept under the carpet.
a.k.a. the 1979 Toronto Print, correct?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not the long version, but the French Blu-ray release of The Alamo is only 12 euros on Amazon.fr (if you can play region B) - the German re-release looks like it's sold-out.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Oliver, somehow I knew that info would be brought up, :).

Brought that up to bring some other members up to speed who may not be willing to spend hours catching up on the roadshow print :)

The discovery of the print is a fantastic bit of film history that deserves a happy end but it looks like not much has been done with the roadshow print in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks