What's new

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
A restoration could be done , using the existing master, restoring the missing footage as best as possible from the widescreen laser disc. Most fans of the film would excuse the lower quality passages just to get the complete film on Blu-ray. Don’t forget that Mad Mad World used a combination of stills and audio to give a complete as possible presentation.
If you are saying that The Alamo is too low brow for Criterion, that’s another story!
I was 12 years old when it was released, but I recall the film being well received as a major movie event. Now it’s looked down upon?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Trailers From Hell with John Landis - "This is not a good movie, but it's kinda fun..." ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If you are saying that The Alamo is too low brow for Criterion, that’s another story!

Variety called 1972's Pink Flamingos "the most vile, stupid, and repulsive film ever." I'm sure there have been many challengers to that title since then. Even so, Criterion gave it a 25th anniversary laserdisc with a director's commentary.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Variety called 1972's Pink Flamingos "the most vile, stupid, and repulsive film ever." I'm sure there have been many challengers to that title since then. Even so, Criterion gave it a 25th anniversary laserdisc with a director's commentary.
Pink Flamingos is a notorious cult movie.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Sooooo... THE ROCK and ARMAGEDDON are important films?

Those are the obvious examples. Criterion has argued that Armageddon was a prime example of the big-screen special effects blockbuster beast. The response to that is generally, "Yeah, sure. Whatever you say. :rolleyes: "

But there are plenty of other titles from them that can be just as reasonably questioned, like (for me) Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ah, a French release is showing up on Amazon.fr for a June 16th release, a two disc set, but it looks to be the same price as the German Mediabook (French releases do tend to be a wee more expensive than German ones). I'll stick with the German release, but it's interesting that it's coming out in more than one country.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Is there a link to the Amazon.de release?
So far there's only a link to the Amazon exclusive cover version.

& here's a link to cover B, which Amazon don't seem to be carrying yet, although I'm sure they will (I can't say I'm keen on the French cover, although I'm really not that bothered about covers).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Amazon.de is always funny about pre-order BD discs and there is no way to basket them until near or exactly on the release date. I found this with the Nefertiti and Romulus and Remus and am still waiting to basket the upcoming The Long Ships. I'm excited about this Koch Alamo BD as their product usually looks great and will order as soon as it's ready to go!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Is the French release region B?
Too early to say, the releasing company is ESC Editions, & I don't know them. Now if it were Elephant Films, you could almost guarantee it would be multi-region, but I dunno with ESC. Anyway, MGM are obviously licensing out their HD master, I wonder if it'll pop up in another country?

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I'm guessing that international buyers will be able to order it from Amazon DE starting on May 13th, if not May 12th. For the past year or so, Europe-based Amazons have not accepted pre-orders for international shipping, but allowed them once the title was actually released.

I'll be curious to see if Diabolik DVD will have copies available.
I live in France and have never had any problem ordering from Germany or Spain, but that’s the EU for you I guess.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Amazon.de (Germany) is taking DOMESTIC pre-orders only for a May 12th release of The Alamo. The release will include 2 discs with the theatrical version (162 minutes) on BluRay and the extended cut of 3 hours 22 minutes on DVD. Koch Film Shop is the distributor and their advertisement shows Region B. For those interested in purchasing the Alamo please be patient hopefully by the end of summer Amazom.de will sell this particular release to international buyers.
The French version will have the extended cut only dubbed into French. Is the German in German? The theatrical cut will be available in French or English, and there is a long interview with Patrick Wayne promised. Amazon.fr says JUNE 16th release.
Oh just noticed it says long version is also Blu Ray!

Last edited:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Is the the extended cut of 3 hours 22 minutes on DVD in the German set simply a porting over of the extended version that exists on the laserdisc, or is this a different compilation from other sources? If so, then other than having the shorter version on BD (which I'm not that interested in) I'd be fine just watching the extended cut on the laserdisc that I've owned for the last 25 some odd years. The Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track on the LD is window shattering!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The extended cut is from the same 4x3 letterboxed standard definition master used on the laserdisc, according to the press release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks