What's new

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I notice Amazon has reviews in different languages now, but there is a button after each one which translates or at least transliterates them into English.

This is for North America where I am ashamed to say most of us,(even Canadians who get about 10 years of French instruction in public schools), speak only English.
Let's not forget that Mexico IS part of North America, and that there are millions of Spanish-speaking people in the United States...including yours truly. I speak Spanish at home. I resort to English only when I have to.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was only making a comment on how bad it is that the majority of people in North America are only able to speak one language. I had a wonderful trip to Quebec for instance where everybody seemed capable of switching languages in seconds. I was ashamed that I only can painfully puzzle out some written French.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
oui je suis Belge et je crois que ce n'est pas difficile de traduire en Anglais avec un ordinateur .Je suis un grand Fan d'Alamo
Hi André, I like your posts and I can usually understand them without a translator but I am pretty sure many others cannot. So from one fan of the Alamo to another I would like for you to consider that it should not be about other members being able to use translators but about you being able to use them, too.

The benefit of English as a forum language is that we can come here from all over the world and communicate and read in English without having to switch multiple times in each thread between all the languages that people speak in the countries they come from - would be quite a bit of chaos not only in this thread where I would at least expect 6 or 7 posters speaking another first language than English - no way I would want to translate all their posts in their native languages to follow this thread.

To sum things up one person (in this case you) not using a translator expecting all other members following this thread to use it instead for his posts seems like a rather backwards solution to the language problem. It would be solved much more elegantly by you writing your posts in a translator and then you could just post the translation just like I am doing it now courtesy of DeepL:

Pour résumer, une personne (dans ce cas, vous) qui n'utilise pas de traducteur et qui s'attend à ce que tous les autres membres qui suivent ce fil de discussion l'utilisent pour ses messages semble être une solution plutôt arriérée au problème de la langue. La solution serait bien plus élégante si vous écriviez vos messages dans un traducteur et que vous pouviez ensuite poster la traduction, comme je le fais maintenant avec l'aimable autorisation de DeepL :

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

That's it from me and I am looking forward to read more from you but please let it be English :)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Hi André, I like your posts and I can usually understand them without a translator but I am pretty sure many others cannot. So from one fan of the Alamo to another I would like for you to consider that it should not be about other members being able to use translators but about you being able to use them, too.

The benefit of English as a forum language is that we can come here from all over the world and communicate and read in English without having to switch multiple times in each thread between all the languages that people speak in the countries they come from - would be quite a bit of chaos not only in this thread where I would at least expect 6 or 7 posters speaking another first language than English - no way I would want to translate all their posts in their native languages to follow this thread.

To sum things up one person (in this case you) not using a translator expecting all other members following this thread to use it instead for his posts seems like a rather backwards solution to the language problem. It would be solved much more elegantly by you writing your posts in a translator and then you could just post the translation just like I am doing it now courtesy of DeepL:

Pour résumer, une personne (dans ce cas, vous) qui n'utilise pas de traducteur et qui s'attend à ce que tous les autres membres qui suivent ce fil de discussion l'utilisent pour ses messages semble être une solution plutôt arriérée au problème de la langue. La solution serait bien plus élégante si vous écriviez vos messages dans un traducteur et que vous pouviez ensuite poster la traduction, comme je le fais maintenant avec l'aimable autorisation de DeepL :

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

That's it from me and I am looking forward to read more from you but please let it be English :)
Beautifully expressed, Oliver. So much better than my ham-fisted attempt to say much the same thing. Thank you!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
You do know all you have to do is highlight the post and a help bar comes up and you hit the translate tab and it immediately is translated to english. Easier than you think.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was only making a comment on how bad it is that the majority of people in North America are only able to speak one language. I had a wonderful trip to Quebec for instance where everybody seemed capable of switching languages in seconds. I was ashamed that I only can painfully puzzle out some written French.
I was just making a point that, although this is an English-speaking forum (which is why I write my posts in a language that is not my own), people tend to forget that North America encompasses Canada, the United States and Mexico. And yes, it is a pity that so many people are monolingual. A truly missed opportunity.
And now, back to The Alamo, a shrine in the state where I live, and when you visit, you are asked to whisper because heroes died there. Well...OK, if they say so.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I was just making a point that, although this is an English-speaking forum (which is why I write my posts in a language that is not my own), people tend to forget that North America encompasses Canada, the United States and Mexico. And yes, it is a pity that so many people are monolingual. A truly missed opportunity.
And now, back to The Alamo, a shrine in the state where I live, and when you visit, you are asked to whisper because heroes died there. Well...OK, if they say so.
I live in France where French tv shows nearly every single English or Spanish language film or programme with a choice of original or dubbed into French. Cinemas show movies from all over the world in the original language with French subtitles.
No wonder so many Americans appear to know so little of the outside world when they insist on using one language. Mind you there are a lot of Brits in France who make no effort to learn French, cutting themselves off from a wonderful language and history and culture. So there has to some kind of arrogance about us native English speakers. And btw don't more people in the USA now speak Spanish as their first language than English?
Now back to The Alamo where a lot of the defenders spoke Spanish if I'm not mistaken!

Real Name
cremers andre
Fans line up outside the royal premier of The Alamo (1960) in London, England.

Attachments

• 1189.jpg
    1189.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 20

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
. And btw don't more people in the USA now speak Spanish as their first language than English?

Not close.
70-75% speak mainly English or only English at home.
Estimates say roughly 13-15% of the US population speak Spanish in the home. I can't even find a single state where Spanish is much more than a quarter (California, Texas, New Mexico, and Florida at 27, 26 25, and 20% respectively are the top 4).
I can't find a breakdown of how many of those were Spanish language 1st, but I'd suspect most. Chinese variants 1.5% is third, French 3rd at a bit less than 1%

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks