What's new

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Seems that the German version is sold out, and the French version is unacceptable. So we need a US release. At this point, who has the rights to MGM’s library?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seems that the German version is sold out, and the French version is unacceptable. So we need a US release. At this point, who has the rights to MGM’s library?
Partial correction or maybe clarification -- Amazon/de exclusive is sold out, Koch is still selling their version. Koch doesn't ship outside the EU so you'll need some help to get it and currently it will cost upwards $55-60USD shipped from Germany

cede.com still lists the Koch version though has been listed 1-2 wks backordered for 2-3 weeks now so some question whether they will be getting more -- plus nearly $80USD shipped to the US

It is still B-locked so hoping for a US release is useful on several fronts for those who don;t have/don't want that option

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I would bet that the french version used the 480i LD master directly, while the german version used a 480p source and digitally up-scaled and enhanced it to 720p, intercutting it with the 1080p general release version that was down-scaled to 720p.

More effort, yielding a vastly superior result. More expense as well.
Maybe there is also a 480i VHS master? Never heard of it but it looks a lot worse than what we see on the Koch disc.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Is that screencap from a deleted scene? This looks amazing for a upconverted 4:3 SD master.
Yes, that's it. I was a bit surprised about how good the cap looks as it does not really hold up in my projection setups but I am usually sitting really close. With a bit more distance of let's say 2 to 3 screen widths it looks surprisingly good so the overall experience of watching the longer version will be more seamless than expected.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Maybe there is also a 480i VHS master? Never heard of it but it looks a lot worse than what we see on the Koch disc.
The roadshow version was released on VHS but I assume it was from the same master used for the LD.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
LD and VHS both were 480i formats (vertical resolution) but LD had more than 400 lines of horizontal resolution per picture height (also called TVL) and VHS only had 240. So in todays terms VHS would have had a resolution of about 320 x 480i resolution and if we go with 420 lines for LD it would have had 560 x 480i resolution. And that was for luma, chroma was even worse and there the advantage of LD was much higher as it was 120 TVL for LD vs only 30 TVL for VHS.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
LD and VHS both were 480i formats (vertical resolution) but LD had more than 400 lines of horizontal resolution per picture height (also called TVL) and VHS only had 240. So in todays terms VHS would have had a resolution of about 320 x 480i resolution and if we go with 420 lines for LD it would have had 560 x 480i resolution. And that was for luma, chroma was even worse and there the advantage of LD was much higher as it was 120 TVL for LD vs only 30 TVL for VHS.
What about the difference between CLV and CAV?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Those differences ultimately come into play after the creation of a master that’s used to make the disc - so whether it was CAV or CLV, it was still being sourced from the same master.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
What about the difference between CLV and CAV?
Not much of a difference, supposedly 10 to 20 horizontal lines.
I am not sure that there is a real world example of the same LD master of sufficiently high quality being out there that could show the difference.

In any case at 30 minutes per side I do consider CAV to be less than practical for watching movies that will usually extend to 4 or even 5 sides on many movies if one was to press them to CAV.

We have come a long way with how much we can fit on a much smaller disc without sacrificing quality.

Real Name
cremers andre
Bonjour encore quelque images de la version longue de Koch. film
Alamo0017.png
Alamo0015.png
Alamo0014.png
Alamo0014.png
Alamo0013.png
Alamo0015.png

Attachments

• Alamo0001.png
    Alamo0001.png
    910.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Alamo0005.png
    Alamo0005.png
    941.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Alamo0006.png
    Alamo0006.png
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Alamo0011.png
    Alamo0011.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • Alamo0012.png
    Alamo0012.png
    1 MB · Views: 52
Real Name
cremers andre
Quelque images de la version longue ESC éditions

Attachments

• alamobr5.th.jpg
    alamobr5.th.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 58
  • alamobr6.th.jpg
    alamobr6.th.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 66
  • alamobr7.th.jpg
    alamobr7.th.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 63
  • alamobr8.th.jpg
    alamobr8.th.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 56

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ugly as sin.

The longer cut really is not much to look at. It's okay to get a sense of what a longer continuity might have been like, but that is all it is good for IMO. Koch did a good job of combining the good general release footage with the laserdisc footage. But when it cuts from the one to the other the difference is night and day and takes me out of the picture. I would never pick this hybrid version as the "go-to" version.

The general release version is the best I have seen it look on home video. I wish someone would post screenshots of the good footage alongside the up converted footage to show how bad the up converted one looks in comparison to the real HD version. If no one else does so I will try to make time to do it the next day or two. There is a lot of detail in things like the Indian designs on some of Crockett's leather accoutrements that are just lost in the LD footage. I just hope people aren't paying exorbitant prices on Ebay for the Koch disc in the hope that it is some sort of holy grail edition.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here are a couple of scenes. I didn't spend much time on this, and I wanted to choose shots that were both downrezzed and not.

Uprezzed LD shot:

Alamo up rez 1 resize.jpg

2K shot (resized to 1280 x 720):

Alamo 2k 1 resize.jpg

Uprezzed LD shot:

Alamo Uprez 2 resize.jpg

2K shot resized to 1280x720:

Alamo 2K 2 resize.jpg

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
One (Koch, German) recently sold on eBay for over 230 euros. Thankfully I was one of many underbidders. The day after the auction I received a second chance offer for $100. Considering the price of the disc and postage from Germany, that didn't seem like a terrible deal so I took it. Looking forward to see the director's cut again after 20 years.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Agreed since they cut out the resolution for Emil Sand in the theatrical cut they should have removed all his scenes in the theatrical and kept key scenes like where did they get the additional cannons, where did the additional volunteers come from that make up the proper number at the Alamo. Also the key scene where Bowie talks to his servant that sets up the scene where he frees him. The Birthday Party maybe corny and filler but adding the lyrics to the main theme song "Oh Lisa" has a great emotional payoff later in the film when Lisa says "listen Mommy they're playing my song". I like the Emil Sand subplot in the extended version when it is completed with the action scene. There are actually several action scenes missing in the theatrical.
Right on the mark on all points!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks