What's new

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Beware on Ebay. Lots of dealers doing that. They buy one pressed copy , then duplicate. Win-win proposition for them.
I thought I saw the word "used" somewhere along the line today. Someone, rightfully, said on Blu Ray.com that Euro255 as the winning bid was ridiculously too high. By making it LTD these guys buy up and all the genuine buyers get the Go Back to O message, that is OOP as what happened here. If my country did not introduce local VAT style 10% Tax three years ago(we did get a 12 months reprieve) on every dollar we spend outside Australia including shipping and making the likes of Amazon collect it on their behalf, Amazon would not have chopped us off. I have paid a lot more and missed all the Amazon UK & US credits for price reductions on the Pre-orders at release or the next week. For me they are the best to deal with in many ways. Easier to keep track what I order. If the item did turn out duplicated and not the original PayPal might refund the buyer and recover from the seller, I think.

Real Name
cremers andre
J'ai reçu Alamo ESC édition pour la version cinéma 10 sur 10 pour la version longue 0 sur 10 par rapport a l'Allemagne

Attachments

• 81RPfD6IssS._AC_SL1481_.jpg
    81RPfD6IssS._AC_SL1481_.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 24

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
DeepL translation:

I received Alamo ESC edition for the cinema version 10 out of 10 for the long version 0 out of 10 compared to Germany
I'll avoid that French disc if the longer cut is so inferior to that on the Koch disc. If the Koch disc is difficult to get hold of outside the EEC, I'll wait for a release in an English-speaking country.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I’d be ecstatic if any of those USA release predictions come true, but only if the longer version is included. Right now Kino-Lorber seems to be busy with Universal film titles. Someone suggested that the Alamo is too low brow for Criterion , but I hope that’s not true. Meanwhile, the Alamo is long overdue for a quality USA Blu-ray release!

jbmonster

Auditioning
Real Name
John Ballentine
The French Extended Edition looks literally unwatchable. The German Koch Extended Edition is the same Theatrical print w/ addition of 40 mins of SD insert's. However even these inserts look superior to the French print. I bet my 90's Laserdisc looks superior to the French print as well.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Wow - the long version of The Alamo from France looks shockingly bad.

The sequences from the LD master indeed look a bit better in the German Blu-ray but what is most important is that they comprise less than 25% of the runtime of the extended cut.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

The sequences from the LD master indeed look a bit better in the German Blu-ray but what is most important is that they comprise less than 25% of the runtime of the extended cut.

Looks like the VHS tape that I copied from the laser disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Oooph! This is not a good initial review

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Nope, not very impressive.

Here is a cap from the German version, not great but acceptable:
Alamo_720p.jpg

I am not going to speculate why the French release has such a bad version of the longer cut but the quality difference even for the inserted scenes is substantial.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I would bet that the french version used the 480i LD master directly, while the german version used a 480p source and digitally up-scaled and enhanced it to 720p, intercutting it with the 1080p general release version that was down-scaled to 720p.

More effort, yielding a vastly superior result. More expense as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks