The age old question: Best place to find out about upcoming DVD releases/dates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Things have gotten so bad that even I, a man in
    touch with every studio, can't seem to get a list
    of upcoming releases.

IMAGE used to have the best site in the world.
    Now I hear they only list their product, and even
    that site is hard to navigate through.

Is there a website that continually posts the
    latest list of upcoming titles by release date?

Would be very thankful for some direction here.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Ronbo,
    I use this site as well as different online retailers for release information.
    Crawdaddy

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I've always considered Amazon's list of future releases to be quite comprehensive.

4. Clinton C

Clinton C Stunt Coordinator

this is the site i go to. It has a fairly extensive list of upcoming releases for the year.
    www.comingsoon.net/dvd/

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Well, its about time!!!!

Some places/sites don't list everything. I have a few 'secret' titles that I go through dvdpricesearch once in a while but... I've always hoped that the studios could let us know and we could put a list up ourselves, even if it is on a member's website. It would require updating and probably require a lot of work and input, but in the long run we could use it to promote OAR, and even list the disks that we won't buy by studio. We might be able to educate a few more people this way.

Image did everyone a huge disfavor when they cut us off. I used to read through their plots & summeries and I used to purchase a lot that way, sight and even the title unknown to me before, so for me, I could be poorer than I am now. If the studios want the sales they should promote them. I also still wonder how Image got the dope from other studios even though they had no reason to do so.

Glenn

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Ron, in addition to those listed, VideoTropic works hard to produce lists that come as close to Image's thoroughness as possible. Not just the big titles, but the tiny ones as well.
    Example: ComingSoon only lists 29 titles for Feb. 4th. By comparison, TVShowsOnDVD lists 31 items on the same date, and those are, of course, all TV-only! [​IMG] Amazon, by comparison, lists 234 releases for that date!
    The biggest problem with Amazon's list (here's Feb 4 as an example) is that they often include titles that aren't new, but rather just getting a markdown on that date. Also, titles might not be included for their correct street date if Amazon either got the shipment early and simply started selling it, or know they will get the shipment late. This doesn't happen on "major" titles, but something by a smaller studio, or a music video or anime' title, is all too often not found on the correct street date listing that everyone else will use. Finally, Amazon for some nutty reason breaks out certain titles from the alphabetical list, and adds them back on to the end of the list. So Amazon's list for 2/4 shows Citizen Ruth on the last page, which might make you think you missed it back in the C's! [​IMG] Bonkers!
    eFilmCritic has a pretty comprehensive list, but they break it out into "here's a loooong list of all the feature film titles broken out by each week for a while into the future, then after that is the week-by-week listings of all the TV Show titles, then other categories like Straight-to-Video, Music, Anime, etc. So to find a complete list of what's coming out on any one given week, you have to skip around to 6 or so different lists. Inconvenient.
    By comparison, VideoTropic has a pull-down at the top of their Upcoming Titles section that lets you choose the week. When you are there, it shows approx. 2 dozen "featured" titles with their box art. Below that is their "All Titles" listing, which can be 3-4 pages long depending on the week. So far it seems comprehensive. It's in alphabetical order, so you can see it all with one straightforward browse. Titles that are merely price drops are clearly marked (though there is occassionally some confusion with a title like The Money Pit, which received an official markdown before it's street date...but that's few and far between). Items newly added to the list are marked in a pink font, so you know it wasn't there last time you looked. The SRP is shown, as is the price of many online retailers (including Amazon and BestBuy.com). And those prices are often even correct! [​IMG] Take it with a grain of salt, though...they don't always keep up with adjustments to the prices. A click on the link will show you a difference, though.
    Overall, they are rather convenient. I find myself using them more and more since Image's changeover.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Oh, Glenn: Image "got the dope" for a rather good reason: they were wholesaling every studio's stuff to the retailers, esp. smaller regional chains (like Turtle's Music, I believe). They've been a wholesaler since the LD days, maybe even prior to that.

As of the start of this year, Image got out of the distribution business and is concentrating on manufacturing their own DVDs, something they've done all along but want to center on now. So now their distrubution efforts are for themselves and some other "smaller" studios that they have partnered with.

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I use DVDEmpire's preorder manager. You can keep an eye on what's coming out each week for about two months out. I normally add things to my wishlist, and then decide where to buy them from (normally I just buy 'em from dvdempire anyway).

Create an account, login, and then go to New & Future Releases. Choose "By Release Date", and pick a week.

9. Matt Yawer

Matt Yawer Auditioning

You should have a look at the play release schedule which offers a list of up and comming titles using either their release date or their pre-order sales, thus getting a chart rundown of what's comming. The site also allows you to do the same for Region 2 DVD's.

10. Dan Ealey

Dan Ealey Extra

Dan
    You might try dvdpricesearch.net's New Release area...I've always found it to be pretty comprehensive.

Dan

11. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
  12. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Ron, I think DVD Empire a good way to go, even if you do not order from them. Even if you want to check a future date that they do not have listed you can alway click on a link and then alter the month and day within that link.

13. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Ron and everyone,
    I'm going to "second" Crawdaddy's nomination of efilmcritic.com. I like it for several reasons:
    1. All items listed on one page, no further clicking or downloading required
    2. Releases broken down into categories. I check FILM and TV comprehensively, scan DOCUMENTARY and MUSIC briefly, and skip ANIME and STRAIGHT TO VIDEO completely
    3. List of "rumored" releases at the end of the list, possibly taken from HTF chats?[/list=1]

14. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Are eFilmCritic.com and HollywoodBitchSlap the same people? The sites are vitually identical.

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Yep!

EFC = Aussie

HBS = U.S.