What's new

International The Agatha Christie Mystery Collection (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
No bonus features at all which is why I was so glad the keep cases had an empty spindle on the left of the case which is where I snapped my DVD of the movie to retain the bonuses.

I wound up keeping all of my DVD's for the special features, too. Lol

I custom made some English language covers based on the original poster art for them, as well, because I HATED the existing cover art

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hahahah, you know me too well, sir!

Since we basically got the existing set for a song, I would happily double dip for an improved one. I'm not region free, though, so that may limit my ability.

I can't wait to hear reviews!! :)
Yeah, I'm not keen on buying them all over again. The only one that I felt could actually use some improvement is Orient Express. If it turns out to be substantially better and they correct all the typos (or better yet use the original title footage!) then I may upgrade that one only.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The new Studio Canal releases are available in a box set from Amazon Germany for pre order price of 25.99 Euros less VAT Plus Shipping if shipping to USA. Release date for box set is listed as November 2, 2017

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075T1YTVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71j-SNQTgtL._SX425_.jpg

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
26 Euros for four films is quite cheap. But I already have the Italian box with these films, so I would only buy Murder On The Orient Express again, if the PQ has proven better than on the old Blu-ray.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I received the new Studio Canal releases today. The UK versions are locked for Region B. New video supplements include interviews with producer Richard Goodwin (on all 4 discs), Angela Lansbury (for "Death on the Nile" and "The Mirror Crack'd") among others. I didn't see a significant upgrade in terms of picture quality from the earlier Blu-Ray releases but at least the embarrassing credit errors for "Murder on the Orient Express" (e.g., the omission of Albert Finney from the end titles) have been corrected. Each disc includes paper supplements such as the press kit for "Orient Express" and cards highlighting costume designs from the other films. The "Orient Express" disc includes the making-of documentary produced for the Paramount DVD in 2004. Looking forward to seeing the new version of "Orient Express" in a few weeks --- filmed with 65MM cameras and will be screened in NYC and a small number of other markets in 70MM.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
How can anyone expect Orient Express to be better when Studio Canal doesn't have the original negative - that's held by Paramount.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
One would think with the Murder On The Orient Express remake due next month, this would be a most opportune time for Paramount to release the 1974 version on blu ray. The fact that even the upcoming remake hasn't motivated Paramount suggests a domestic R1 release may never happen. :( I'll wait on reviews for the British blu before purchasing.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I received the new Studio Canal releases today. The UK versions are locked for Region B. New video supplements include interviews with producer Richard Goodwin (on all 4 discs), Angela Lansbury (for "Death on the Nile" and "The Mirror Crack'd") among others. I didn't see a major upgrade in terms of picture quality from the earlier Blu-Ray releases but at least the embarrassing credit errors for "Murder on the Orient Express" (e.g., the omission of Albert Finney from the end titles) have been corrected. Each disc includes paper supplements such as the press kit for "Orient Express" and cards highlighting costume designs from the other films. The "Orient Express" disc includes the making-of documentary produced for the Paramount DVD in 2004. Looking forward to seeing the new version of "Orient Express" in a few weeks --- filmed with 65MM cameras and will be screened in NYC and a small number of other markets in 70MM.
Does it look like they reverted to the original credit opticals (that were on the Paramount DVD) or are they still regenerated but without the typos? I'm still debating whether Orient Express is worth the upgrade. Too bad for you guys that are handcuffed to region A.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
The original credit opticals were presumably used for the new "Orient Express" Blu-Ray release. Although I no longer have the Paramount DVD to use for comparison, the end credits on the new Blu-Ray release are less sharp and distinct compared to the older Blu-Ray release---they don't look "new." Speaking of the older Blu-Ray release, in addition to the misspelling of Colin Blakely's name in the opening credits and the omission of Albert Finney from the end credits, I just noticed that Wendy Hiller is listed as "Wendy Miller" in the end credits. Ouch. BTW, I had no expectation of a significant upgrade in picture quality here. The supplements (the earlier Studio Canal release of "Orient Express" was bare bones) and the correction of the major errors in the credits made it worth the upgrade for me. Others may differ.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I received the new Studio Canal releases today. The UK versions are locked for Region B. New video supplements include interviews with producer Richard Goodwin (on all 4 discs), Angela Lansbury (for "Death on the Nile" and "The Mirror Crack'd") among others. I didn't see a significant upgrade in terms of picture quality from the earlier Blu-Ray releases

You didn't?
Strange, because from screenshots I saw of Orient Express, I saw a big difference.
Especially in the color scheme too with more muted colors and maybe a bit darker general image.

How's Death on the Nile?
That was the worst from the early blurays! Can you at least see some grain now?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

David Com

Agent
Received the new "Murder On The Orient Express," and while it's nice to see the credits corrected, what's odd is that nearly all of the color tint design that was used in the newspaper montage at the beginning of the film has been removed. The newspapers are now completely black and white, whereas in the other releases I've seen they were given various color tints. Also, I've always seen the final headline"Daisy Found Slain" turn red as it fades to black. Here it's just a black and white headline that fades to black. Very Ironic, since there is even a section of the "Making Of" documentary included on the disc which deals extensively with the filmmaker's intent to color this sequence. Not sure how it happened...but there it is.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks