What's new

The African Queen on DVD in late 2005? (1 Viewer)

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
I was very excited today when I read Barrie Maxwell's latest column on Classic Coming Attractions that said The African Queen might come out later this year from Paramount. Is this true or just another rumor?

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Can you point me to the direction of that article, please?

And that is great news. I think the studio KNOWS we want it, they're just taking their oh so sweet time about it.

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator

I'd say a strong rumor. Here's the quote (italics mine) from Barrie Maxwell's column at
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ell040405.html

"Other Paramount titles that may appear in the second half of 2005 are The Adventurers (1970, with Ernest Borgnine), The Rainmaker (1956, with Burt Lancaster), My Friend Irma (1949, with Martin & Lewis), The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946, with Barbara Stanwyck - an official studio release instead of the ubiquitous PD copies would be nice), The Five Pennies (1959, with Danny Kaye), and perhaps even the elusive The African Queen (1951, with Humphrey Bogart)."

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
can't wait.

It's one of my few laserdiscs that still gets a regular work-out.

I think there might be a decent-looking non R1-DVD version out there too...seem to remember something about that (dvdbeaver.com?)...

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I thought I read somewhere that AQ had deteriorated badly and needed massive restoration. Am I misremembering?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You're not. I would be happily surprised to see a Region 1 dvd before the end of the year.

Crawdaddy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Go here: http://www.paramount.com/filmpreservation/projects.html

You will note that The African Queen is not on that list.

I have never heard any reliable information on where the original Technicolor camera negative or any seperation masters are stored. It isn't at Fox, Paramount, the BFI, Carlton, etc. When was the last time a "new print" was screened of the film? My guess is that the film does indeed an involved photo-chemical restoration. If such a restoration was underway, I would imagine that it would now be common knowledge in the film community.

If Paramount release the film on DVD this year, it will likely be from an existing older element. Or perhaps Paramount have tracked down the negative and it is in great condition and needs little work. But I doubt it.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
What's the great RAH's take/info on the situation? I'd love to see a African Queen disc in the vein of the Lawrence of Arabia one!

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
This movie I think is being restored by Paramount and will be like Sunset Blvd. and Roman Holiday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've personally been told by a Paramount representative that the film's elements are in dire need of restoration. We didn't get into specifics about which elements, but he made it clear to me that they were still determining their best course of action in accomplishing that goal.

I don't think you'll see The African Queen until 2006. The last missing AFI Top 100 film is The Jazz Singer which could make it out in late 2005 or possibly 2006.

Crawdaddy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
It has been rumored for some time that these two titles have been in development and will be restored for DVD release. Seeing that most '05 titles of this stature have been already scheduled (King Kong in Nov. for instance) does this mean that likely dates for AF and TJS won't be before '06/'07?

Joel

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I've been waiting years for African Queen on DVD. I guess a couple more years won't kill me.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

Neither of these titles are apparently in the cards for '05 or even early '06. With such high profile material there would be at least some sources that would point to a target date...:frowning: . I do have the R2 version of AQ and I guess it will have to be sufficient for yet another year...

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks