What's new

The African Queen available for preorder (1 Viewer)

I disagree. Placeholders usually have "sign up to be notified." That page looks like its already been through that process, and has been planned to be released, but has then gotten delayed/shelved. Its definitely positive, if you were interested in this title, that it has a price (nicely discounted) and is up for preorder. That doesn't mean it won't be delayed massively, as Taxi Driver Blu has also been.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TravisR

I could be wrong but that just looks like the usual Amazon place holder (but with a picture of the one sheet) rather than an actual planned release.
I agree with you on the usual place holder, but I usually don't see a price attached to the place holder, this might up due to something from Paramount that is not official. Of all the rumors I have read the past five months, I am not sure that I ever saw Blu-ray attached to those rumors. This might be something here, but I will not hold my breath. Here's to hope.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Kleist of The Digital Bits recently said this would be out within the next year on Blu-ray Disc, so I doubt this is your run-of-the-mill Amazon placeholder.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It would make sense for them to do a day-and-date DVD/BD release for this title. If they don't do the Blu-ray now they may not get to it until 2020.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I freely admit that I may be wrong (as others have said, that they have a price listed is an optimistic sign) but I've read "The African Queen is coming next year!" too many times to really take anything but a press release seriously at this point.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think it's the new amazon placeholder.

I preordered the currently airing season of Curb your Enthusiasm over a month ago with exact same type of listing as this Africa queen listing.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
well here's some useless movie trivia for you film fans

The African Queen was filmed at Shepperton Studios in Surrey, England

a large number of yellowish / green parrots (birds) were used during the production, and subsequently escaped / were released into the surrounding countryside

move forward many years, I run a mountain bike shop and mountain bike park in Esher, Surrey

we have a colony of 6,000+ of these parrots native to the woodland that our bike park sits within

everytime I go into the mountain bike park to do maintenance work, these parrots drop things on me (nuts and branches) and try to sh*t all over the bike trails

thanks African Queen! (great movie BTW)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Small price to pay for a great movie!

Originally Posted by hampsteadbandit

well here's some useless movie trivia for you film fans

The African Queen was filmed at Shepperton Studios in Surrey, England

a large number of yellowish / green parrots (birds) were used during the production, and subsequently escaped / were released into the surrounding countryside

move forward many years, I run a mountain bike shop and mountain bike park in Esher, Surrey

we have a colony of 6,000+ of these parrots native to the woodland that our bike park sits within

everytime I go into the mountain bike park to do maintenance work, these parrots drop things on me (nuts and branches) and try to sh*t all over the bike trails

thanks African Queen! (great movie BTW)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Well it's about time! We've only been waiting twelve years for a digital version of this film. This is one of my top three most wanted titles. That I get to bypass an inferior DVD version for a BD makes it even better.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Put me in the "this means next to nothing" camp. That Taxi Driver BD has been available to order for well over a year with no release in sight.

I have even less faith in any rumors that originate from the bits staff ........from the imaginary Indy set, the Alien Quad, Apocalypse Now, Sunset Blvd, etc, etc, etc........

Not to say there isn't a chance this will come out but there's nothing here that gets me excited.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Well, I just received an email from Amazon this morning that THE AFRICAN QUEEN is now available to order. I don't see a release date, but they do have a price. The company is Paramount Home Entertainment (which is good sign ).

They are also offering a DVD edition.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by GeorgeJA ).

They are also offering a DVD edition.
That's exactly what was posted in the first post of this topic and explained in the
11 posts that followed.

Amazon frequently puts thngs up for order that havent even been announced yet.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by TonyD

That's exactly what was posted in the first post of this topic and explained in the
11 posts that followed.

Amazon frequently puts thngs up for order that havent even been announced yet.
Not really, another long awaited Paramount title "1492: Conquest Of Paradise" is not up for preorder on either DVD or Blu-ray on Amazon.com just release notification. I would say that there is definitely something going on here and this is a positive sign for this truly long awaited Paramount catalogue title. I am pretty sure if "The African Queen" is not released in 2010 on DVD and Blu-ray from Paramount Pictures, there will be lots of upset fans in the R1 market.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
amazon has no say in when a movie gets released and it means nothing that they have it up for order.

I bet you can find plenty of dvds up for order that have no release and haven't even been announced.

It isnt exactly going out on a limb to guess that African Queen will be released sometime in the next 13 months especialy since it has been mentioned on a few reliable sites that it might be released next year, at least one being Digital bits.

Same with that Season 7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm, it hasn't been anounced and doesn't have a date but it will surely be out next year.

I don't care what web site has it up for order it doesn't mean anything until it actually is on my shelf.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]oops.[/COLOR]

exclamation-error-red._V42752348_.gif
Important Messages
We're sorry. The item The African Queen [Blu-ray] is no longer available from the seller you selected. We've moved it to the Saved Items section of your Shopping Cart. To see if it's available from another seller, click here to return to the item's product detail page.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Just heard that this will be released on 2/23/2010 on DVD and Blu-ray...details are still early, looks to be a Special Edition. Expect for it to be available for preorder soon, I hope Paramount holds to it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ricktech12

Just heard that this will be released on 2/23/2010 on DVD and Blu-ray...details are still early, looks to be a Special Edition. Expect for it to be available for preorder soon, I hope Paramount holds to it.
Yeah. A source would be nice, Rick.

Apparently you don't seem too sure of your own information if you are "hoping" Paramount "holds to it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks