The Affair Of The Necklace

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Reuben, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This won't be a lengthy review, because I found the film very disappointing. Affair of the Necklace wastes a good cast and decent production values on a poor script that relies far too much on voiceover narration instead of allowing the story to develop through the actions of the characters. Every time something interesting starts to happen, the dreaded narration kicks in and saps the life out of the picture.
    Unlike a number of critics, I liked Hilary Swank's performance, but the character she plays is nothing like what the publicity campaign suggests. This is definitely not a female version of the Count of Monte Cristo. Far from being a clever schemer, Jeanne Valois is someone who grabs onto what appears to be an opportunity to restore her family name and fortune and gradually discovers that she's being buffeted by forces much larger than she'd ever imagined. If you pay attention to the dates flashed on the screen and you know something about history, you already know how most of the players end up. The film could have provided an interesting perspective on the impending doom of the French monarchy if only the script had strived for drama instead of surrendering to mere exposition.
    Besides Swank, Joely Richardson, Christopher Walken and Adrien Brody all do excellent work, but it's not enough to save the film.
    M.

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Michael, are there any similarities of this film to The Golden Bowl? I happen to find the latter to be quite good.

~Edwin

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Can't say, Edwin. I missed The Golden Bowl in theaters, and I'm still waiting for it to get to the top of my rental queue.

M.