1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Blu-ray review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by t1g3r5fan, Jul 31, 2018.

1. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
  2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    my favorite version of Tom Sawyer. I know it must be better than echo bridge, which is among the worst dvds I've never bought.

3. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    It seems to me that the reissue version looks "better" than the uncut original which, I have to admit, is slightly disappointing. Great movie though!

4. Ray Faiola

Ray Faiola Stunt Coordinator

Ray Faiola
    Well, I have to say I am very disappointed in what they did to THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER. Specifically, the original release version. They completely de-noised the soundtrack, robbing it of all room tone and ambience. You can compare it to the reissue (which they did not severely alter, thank goodness) and the difference is startling. I'm assuming these are the restorations undertaken by Disney some time ago and I know how much work went into them. It's a shame to have the aural presence compromised so drastically on the long version. Why do audio engineers feel it is their obligation to remove INHERENT noise that stems from the original soundtrack? Its not like this was a dupe track that had picked up layers of "top soil". A 1938 film is not going to sound like a 2018 film no matter how much you alter the audio. So please let the original design of the sound technicians be heard.

Brent Reid, ABaglivi and John Hermes like this.
  5. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    Looks great. But I agree with Ray Failoa, the sound engineers on many of these films scrub too hard on the soundtracks and remove some of the existing sound, just like some of the opticals are scrubbed so hard they look like a blurry smear -- Disney.

Brent Reid likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I thought it sounded and looked great to me.

7. roxy1927

roxy1927 Stunt Coordinator

vincent parisi
    I saw a restored version of this film at the MOMA in the late 80s. It was one of the most beautiful Technicolor films I've see. Subdued but rich colors. If this gets a 3/5 they did a lousy job or the original elements have deteriorated beyond repair and the MOMA print is hidden away somewhere.