What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Mark Twain’s classic of American literature had been filmed twice before, but David O. Selznick’s take on The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was the first shot in Technicolor and represents, probably, the best adaptation of the famed work. Filled with the moments familiar to readers and a sense of nostalgia of the carefree days of youth, the movie represents fine storytelling and pure entertainment at its finest during the Golden Age of Hollywood. Kino has picked up the film for release in its Studio Classics line.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938)

Released: 11 Feb 1938
Rated: APPROVED
Runtime: 91 min

Director: Norman Taurog
Genre: Adventure, Family

Cast: Tommy Kelly, May Robson, Walter Brennan, Victor Jory
Writer(s): Mark Twain (the beloved classic by), John V.A. Weaver (screenplay)

Plot: Tom Sawyer and his pal...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
my favorite version of Tom Sawyer. I know it must be better than echo bridge, which is among the worst dvds I've never bought.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It seems to me that the reissue version looks "better" than the uncut original which, I have to admit, is slightly disappointing. Great movie though!

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
Well, I have to say I am very disappointed in what they did to THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER. Specifically, the original release version. They completely de-noised the soundtrack, robbing it of all room tone and ambience. You can compare it to the reissue (which they did not severely alter, thank goodness) and the difference is startling. I'm assuming these are the restorations undertaken by Disney some time ago and I know how much work went into them. It's a shame to have the aural presence compromised so drastically on the long version. Why do audio engineers feel it is their obligation to remove INHERENT noise that stems from the original soundtrack? Its not like this was a dupe track that had picked up layers of "top soil". A 1938 film is not going to sound like a 2018 film no matter how much you alter the audio. So please let the original design of the sound technicians be heard.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
I saw a restored version of this film at the MOMA in the late 80s. It was one of the most beautiful Technicolor films I've see. Subdued but rich colors. If this gets a 3/5 they did a lousy job or the original elements have deteriorated beyond repair and the MOMA print is hidden away somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks