The Adventures of Sherlock Homes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Dueppen, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

Hi everybody,
    I'm interested if anybody here has Vol.I and/or Vol. II of The Advantures of Sherlock Holmes (1983).
    I seem to remember that I liked the show quite a bit. I really hope this is the show I remember bits and pieces of [​IMG]
    But I only found one review for Vol. I and two for Vol. II. Both from sites I usually never use meaning that I don't know if their reviews work for me. It seems that the image on Vol. I is pretty bad but still watchable and that Vol. II is a marked improvement.
    Do any of you own this set and would you care to let me know what you thought about it?
    Thanks and regards,
    ------------------
    - Michael
    My DVD collection

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I didnt realise that Vol 2 had been released!
    I was very pleased with the image for Vol 1 - it was clear that the producers had gone back to the original 16mm films rather than use a standards converted tape, which was very pleasing.
    There's a lot of grain in the image at times but this is a function of the film stock that was used.
    The most disappointing thing is the sound. IIRC on the end credits of the Solitary Cyclist the sound basically "wobbles" all over the place. This was put down to deterioration of the original elements. It seemed a bit odd that they didnt just dub the sound off a previous copy or redub the closing music off the master recording.
    All the same - a great series

3. Lary Larson

Lary Larson Stunt Coordinator

FYI - I believe Vol.3 is scheduled for Nov. 27. Excellent series - Jeremy Brett was born to play Holmes.
    Lary

4. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

V.1 was a bargain, 4 episdoes (3.5 hours worth!!) for MSRP of $19.95 (methinks). I thought I paid under $12 online for it. I found the image quality, etc. acceptable.
    V.2 I'm still undecided on though. I was hoping for the same format of 4 episodes. For v.2 they cut it down to 2 episodes and dropped the MSRP to $14.95 (methinks).
    V.3?? I didnt know it was coming!! Any ideas what episodes will be on it??
    UPDATE : 2 eps on this one too. Copper Breeches and Blue Carbuncle.
    I preferred the 4 episode discs, but wonder if we didnt shoot ourselves in the foot? I recall some complaints about the labeling of that dual sided disc (yours truly included). I wonder if the complaints led them to say screw it and only do a single sided disc and 2 episodes only?? [​IMG].
    Cheers.
    ------------------
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner
    [Edited last by Jeff Swindoll on October 19, 2001 at 09:50 AM]

5. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Thanks for the topic!
    I hadn't realized volume 2 was out. I too was disappointed with the grain, but to have the chance to replace my VHS copies is good enough for me. I look forward to seeing some improved picture quality on volume 2... I'll take 2/disc with better quality over 4/disc...
    God damned pneumonia [​IMG]
    I went to BestPrices.Com (CA) and ordered volume 2, preordered 3, and ordered the Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon". Amongst their other offerings were the 2 in 1 Rathbone with Lady in Green (which I have already). Also "An evening with Sherlock Holmes" 4 movies of Rathbone.
    There was also Sign of the Four, dated 1983 starring Ian Richardson. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
    ------------------

6. Lisel

Lisel Stunt Coordinator

DVD Empire has volume 4 available for pre-order; it's due Feb. 26.
    Lisel

7. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Just stumbled onto the imminent release of Vol. 3 next week. A search turned up this thread. I too had missed the release of Vol. 2. DeepDiscount has it for less than $11.
    Thanks, Lisel, for the tip on Vol. 4.
    [​IMG]

8. andrew markworthy

I've got volume 1, which has a pretty poor picture and sound. I was put off the later discs simply because they were too expensive for what you got. I never thought I'd say this, but I'll wait to see if the R2 discs are any better (if they ever appear, and why whould they, it's only a Brit programme for goodness' sake, so why should any of our alert Brit manufacturers think there's a demand for it?).

I must admit to getting a certain pleasure from watching this particular set of SH adventures. A lot of it was filmed around Manchester (where I used to live). I used to work at the university there and one day walked into the courtyard of the main admin building (Victorian architecture) to see a camera crew, and Jeremy Brett alighting from a horse-drawn carriage. It totally made me forget my hangover.

9. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

10. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

but I'll wait to see if the R2 discs are any better (if they ever appear, and why whould they, it's only a Brit programme for goodness' sake, so why should any of our alert Brit manufacturers think there's a demand for it?).
    You’ll be waiting a long time as I spoke to Granada in the UK about this very issue and they said that there were absolutely no plans to release (or license) this wonderful series on DVD in the UK because of poor sales of the VHS re-releases. Of course it never occured to them that the VHS sales were poor because people were unwilling to buy it on an outdated format.
    Also the incredibly slow release of the series in the US means it may be another 4 years before the whole thing is available even if they continue at this snail’s pace:

They probably will be releasing them one by one. They just have alot of things in the works and it all takes a little time to put each one out. Please keep an eye on the website for future releases www.mpihomevideo.com.
    Thank you.
    MPI Customer Service

Not exactly definite confirmation that they have committed to the entire 41 episode run.
    I’m afraid I feel that the only way to guarantee seeing this in it’s entirety on DVD at the moment is to buy the hideously expensive Japanese box sets.

11. Brian Lloyd

Brian Lloyd Auditioning

This is one of my all time favourite series, primarily due to the close adherence to the Conan Doyle stories and the performances from Brett, Burke & Hardwicke (2 Dr. Watson's remember ?).

I had the joy to see the London stage production starring Messers Brett & Hardwicke which was fantastic.

Let's hope that wherever he may be, the late Mr. Brett realises what joy he brought to us all with his definative portrayal of Sherlock Holmes.

Television of this calibre should be highly treasured in these days of cheap game/reality shows which currently dominate the airwaves.

Regards to all

12. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I ordered all available episodes from Amazon. I fell in love with the program when I lived in the UK and I too got to see Brett and Hardwick (the better of the two "Watsons" in my humble opinion) on stage in London. I had purchased "Hound of the Baskervilles" and "Sign of Four" a few years back on VHS and they were of terrible quality and the series, as a whole, was most expensive. The DVDs are bargain. That was the same for the Richard Sharpe series as well.