What's new

The Adventures of Robin Hood, season 2 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As I've been so accustomed to doing - "Thanks Bob!" Another great find from my good buddy. You are always on top of these announcements and I for one really appreciate it. I'll be picking this set up.

Gary "getting closer to being able to ditch my old Alpha releases - they take up too much room anyhow" O.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I really liked the season 1 set. This is such a fun show, I'm glad season 2 is coming out so soon and in the same price range. Glad to see Richard Greene is featured on the cover art this time. The picture quality might not be great but the series is.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Gary, believe it or not, Alpha is soon coming out with volume 16 in its series, but I can't see how they can compete with the Mill Creek sets, i.e., Mill Creek gives you a full season for roughly the same price as one of Alpha's 4-episode discs. I also noticed that season 2 has numerous episodes that have not been previously released by the public domain companies, whereas most of the episodes in season 1 had been previously released.

Adventures Of Robin Hood - Volume 16 - Television on DVD (1955) Starring Richard Greene; Directed by Daniel Birt; Alpha Video : OLDIES.com

I suspect season 2 will follow the same path as season 1 and turn up in Walmart's $5.00 bin on or near release day. This will complete the Bernadette O'Farrell (Maid Marian) years on the show. Patricia Driscoll assumed the role beginning with the third season.

Also, I found this upcoming release from Timeless Media . . . .

Amazon.com: The Adventures of Robin Hood: Adventures of Robin Hood: Movies & TV

This might be simply a repackaging of Timeless' previous release of the first 30 episodes of season 1. This new artwork is similar to the upcoming artwork that Timeless is using for its "Sir Lancelot" and "William Tell" releases, which are also scheduled for an August 19th release.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was seriously afraid there would be no more. Terrific news! Now I can begin watching that first season more frequently and not worry about running out! I agree...it was a huge surprise in how entertaining it is.

That first set had me seeking out all the Hood I didn't have. Since, I've bought Adv of Robin Hood the film and the Disney animated movie.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Cool! I'm sure a Dealer will send me a "Wally Card" I can redeem for my Copy! :D

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
He's not on the front cover of the first season, but he is on the back. I'm only five episodes into the first set and can't wait for the second and, hopefully, third and fourth seasons. The only real problem that i have with the dvds are that the sound, mainly the dialogue, is a bit soft. I had to do a bit of finagling with my dvd player to get the sound listenable, but all in all, it's a great set....so far. I found a site, the vintage theater, that has a dvd-r set of all four seasons. Has anyone here heard anything about this set ? I'd really like to find out a bit about it before I plunk 79 dollars down for it. If the picture quality wasn't any worse than the Mill Creek set, and the sound was better, I'd really think about getting it.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I’d speculate that the incorrect credits that you see on some prints are probably the result of the DVD releasing companies using 16 millimeter syndication prints as the source for their releases. Syndication prints are typically used by companies like Mill Creek Entertainment and Alpha Video (among a few others) as the source for their releases, i.e., they don’t have access to the original film masters.

After “The Adventures of Robin Hood” ended its original run on CBS in the late 1950s, it went into syndication and I can recall watching the show in the early 1960s on Saturdays, possibly in the afternoon hours (my first exposure to the show). While the show was originally sponsored by Wildroot hair tonic and, perhaps, a few others, I suspect that that the syndication prints were cut to insert commercials (national and local) for each of the local markets in which “Robin Hood” was broadcast. When the commercials were later removed, the end credits may have been reassembled incorrectly by the television station. Of course, this is speculation on my part, but it’s certainly plausible that the wrong credits might have been the result of an indifferent film editor at a local television station. Incidentally, Timeless Media also released the first 30 (of 39) episodes of season 1 of “The Adventures of Robin Hood” and the end credits on that release are all correct, suggesting that they found alternate print sources.

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I like the Mill Creek set so far. It's a really hard decision on wether to get the complete set or not. On one hand, the Mill Creek set has the openin music and effects. On the other hand, the complete set sounds as if it has better quality and the correct ending credits. I'm am a big purist. If a movie has a choice of 5.1 sound or 2.0 or even mono, I'll watch the movie with whatever type of sound was available when the movie was released. I don't know, though, if I'd be willing to sacrifice picture quality for the beginning sound effects. Any thoughts ?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I've not seen the Vintage Theater set and have no plans to purchase it so I can't help you on this. I will say that the best looking episodes that I've seen on a commercial DVD in the US come from Timeless Media; very good picture quality and correct credits, but Timeless has only released the first 30 episodes from season 1 and I have no idea whether they'll release anymore episodes. If you really want the absolutely best quality and have a region free DVD player, you should consider importing the official UK releases from Network; that company had released all four seasons a few years ago.

As far as the Mill Creek release is concerned, it's really hard to go wrong if all you are concerned about is getting watchable episodes. I paid just $5 for the season 1 set at Walmart and was able to fill a few missing episode gaps from the various DVD releases out there and will certainly be picking up Mill Creek's season 2 release this Fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks