What's new

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Now for a Restored Captain Blood ! :) Hope it's coming this year. It would make a Great Christmas present. :D
aaaa CAPT BLOOD.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
one time I agree with THE Bosely Crowther
This has been on my hit list forever!! I have a decent dvd copy from WB, a bit long in the tooth and colors a bit faded, I look forword to view it restored and fresh again!!! As mentioned preivously here the Steiner -Korngold paring is top knotch, with a well apointed cast, giving Flynn all the gass he needed to rock this theme to the hilt!! And charecter pal Alan Hale makes it just that much better!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm Sure Don Juan will look Amazing on Bluray. WBArchive's The Three Musketeers (1948) looks Gorgeous ! :D Don Juan will look just as good. Maybe even Better ? :oops: If that's even possible. ;) That photo of Errol looks Great. Is that a photo from the New Bluray ?
Wish I could confirm - that photo is stunning! We know Mr F reads our comments PLEASE MR F how about a preview clip! This film will be stunning in a restoration!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This has been on my hit list forever!! I have a decent dvd copy from WB, a bit long in the tooth and colors a bit faded, I look forword to view it restored and fresh again!!! As mentioned preivously here the Steiner -Korngold paring is top knotch, with a well apointed cast, giving Flynn all the gass he needed to rock this theme to the hilt!! And charecter pal Alan Hale makes it just that much better!!
Lets NOT forget Raymond Burr as a sadistic prsion guard

Last edited:

Beckford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
I'm forever grateful that this wonderful movie got made. Errol Flynn hadn't appeared in a swashbuckler since "The Sea Hawk" eight years earlier. And Warners was already starting to seriously cut production budgets on most of its films. But somehow this lavish color spectacle got the green light. The results are exciting, entertaining and certainly eye-filling. The script combines playfulness and swirling action with a sense of the elegiac and Flynn displays a gracefully aged version of his legendary magnetism, laced with just the right amount of wistfulness. The star's onscreen chemistry with Viveca Lindfors is palpable and Robert Douglas makes a great villain ( I seem to recall him showing his contempt for the populace with a sneering remark along the lines of "Leaders may change but sheep remain sheep"). And among Flynn's many wonderful teamings with Alan Hale, this remains my very favorite. Every exchange between the two is marvelous.
In short, terrific news that "Adventures of Don Juan" is coming to Blu-ray. A lot of people who haven't seen it yet are going to fall in love with this picture.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
First time I saw this GREAT film was when NY's old Channel 5 had the UA catalog showing all the Warners films this one was seen on a Sunday afternoon and gotta say loved it almost as much as Adv of Robin Hood -- this has a top cast too! A lot of them making their last film with Flynn. You know he gets a bad rap for his health but he had I think malaria and the effects lasted with him his entire life. Sad that his son passed so young maybe he could of had a film career too.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm forever grateful that this wonderful movie got made. Errol Flynn hadn't appeared in a swashbuckler since "The Sea Hawk" eight years earlier. And Warners was already starting to seriously cut production budgets on most of its films. But somehow this lavish color spectacle got the green light. The results are exciting, entertaining and certainly eye-filling. The script combines playfulness and swirling action with a sense of the elegiac and Flynn displays a gracefully aged version of his legendary magnetism, laced with just the right amount of wistfulness. The star's onscreen chemistry with Viveca Lindfors is palpable and Robert Douglas makes a great villain ( I seem to recall him showing his contempt for the populace with a sneering remark along the lines of "Leaders may change but sheep remain sheep"). And among Flynn's many wonderful teamings with Alan Hale, this remains my very favorite. Every exchange between the two is marvelous.
In short, terrific news that "Adventures of Don Juan" is coming to Blu-ray. A lot of people who haven't seen it yet are going to fall in love with this picture.
Big reason it was made the success of the reissue of Flynn's Robin Hood - Beckford love your well written thoughts!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
That would have been last month, too. Mr. F. is working hard to get the machinery properly running again after an unfortunate breakdown.
Oh I know he is. I sent him a letter (thanks, Ron!) thanking him for his (and all the archive staff and MPI) hard work.

I was just curious if it was two releases or if there were more.

I’m not complaining, just being patient and curious.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
First time I saw this GREAT film was when NY's old Channel 5 had the UA catalog showing all the Warners films this one was seen on a Sunday afternoon and gotta say loved it almost as much as Adv of Robin Hood -- this has a top cast too! A lot of them making their last film with Flynn. You know he gets a bad rap for his health but he had I think malaria and the effects lasted with him his entire life. Sad that his son passed so young maybe he could of had a film career too.
1653840716311.png

Constructed 1926

Features:

• 42nd Street (1933)
  • Captain Blood (1935)
  • Golddiggers of 1935 (1935)
  • Anthony Adverse (1936)
  • The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)
  • The Maltese Falcon (1942)
  • Princess O'Rourke (1943)
  • Watch on the Rhine (1943)
  • Mildred Pierce (1945)
  • The Adventures of Don Juan (1949)
  • The Fountainhead (1949)
  • A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
  • A Star is Born (1954)
  • East of Eden (1955)
  • The Spirit of St.Louis (1957)
  • Auntie Mame (1958)
  • No Time for Sergeants (1958)
  • A Summer Place (1959)
  • The Great Race (1965)
  • Protocol (1984)
  • Twins (1988)

Lot of History on Stage 17

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One of the major three-strip goodies we've been waiting for... SCARAMOUCHE and PRISONER OF ZENDA are up ahead, hopefully. All hail the Warner Archive!
Scaramouche is one of the titles I want the most, & all these 3-strip Technicolor swashbucklers being released by Warner gives me high hopes :)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
GREAT film --- count me in!
View attachment 140051

Constructed 1926

Features:

• 42nd Street (1933)
  • Captain Blood (1935)
  • Golddiggers of 1935 (1935)
  • Anthony Adverse (1936)
  • The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)
  • The Maltese Falcon (1942)
  • Princess O'Rourke (1943)
  • Watch on the Rhine (1943)
  • Mildred Pierce (1945)
  • The Adventures of Don Juan (1949)
  • The Fountainhead (1949)
  • A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
  • A Star is Born (1954)
  • East of Eden (1955)
  • The Spirit of St.Louis (1957)
  • Auntie Mame (1958)
  • No Time for Sergeants (1958)
  • A Summer Place (1959)
  • The Great Race (1965)
  • Protocol (1984)
  • Twins (1988)

Lot of History on Stage 17
empty image

Lot 55: A 'Don Juan' costume from the wardrobe of Errol Flynn in the film, Adventures of Don Juan (1948)​

Sold: Log in to view

Smith & Singer

April 7, 2018
EVELEIGH, Australia
View more details

More About this Item​

Item Overview​

Description​

A 'Don Juan' costume from the wardrobe of Errol Flynn in the film, Adventures of Don Juan (1948)
modelled in the 17th century Spanish style, comprising a light olive green damask cape and doublet, designed by William Travilla, with a repeating stylised leaf and flower pattern, together with olive coloured slim fitting breeches by an unknown designer, with a yellow cord appliqué to each leg, the doublet and cape each with a Warner Bros Pictures label sewn to the interior and inscribed 'Errol Flynn', with the date '11/17/47', the film production number '691' and the additional number '2476' in black ink, the breeches with a Warner Bros Pictures label sewn to the interior waistband, inscribed 'Mr Flynn #2', and garment number '34' in black ink, together with 'Neville', above Flynn's name in faded blue ink

Accompanied by production notes and a booklet containing facsimiles of documents from the Warner Brothers Pictures archives relating to Errol Flynn's costumes in Adventures of Don Juan.
Accompanied by a letter from Russell Crowe stating his ownership.

PROVENANCE
Mr Michael Castellano, Los Angeles
Mr Russell Crowe, Sydney, gift from the above in 2010

This was one of fourteen costumes made for Errol Flynn, but not worn on screen. The film won the Academy Award for 'Best Costume Design, Color', which was shared by William Travilla, Leah Rhodes and Marjorie Best

Compare with an Errol Flynn 'Don Juan de Marana' dark green two-piece suit from Adventures of Don Juan, sold by Profiles in History, Calabasas, 16 June 2011, lot 207

WOW Russell Crowe seems to be a fan too! The film won the Oscar for Best Costume design!
Request more information

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knginvest
Recent bookmarks