What's new

The Adventures of Antoine Doinel...worth buying? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I see that Criterion is putting out a 5-disc boxed set of these films for 99.99 that is to be released this Tuesday. I believe all of the films except 400 Blows are being released by Criterion for the first time, with 400 Blows being a reissue of an out of print dvd. However, 400 Blows is anamorphic while I am 95% sure the original Criterion 400 Blows dvd was not.

So, my question is...is this boxed set a good blind buy? I have never seen 400 Blows but have heard nothing but praise for it. I was not aware that there were sequels as well until learning of this boxed set. I'm assuming that 400 Blows will be available seperately at some point in the future if it is not available this Tuesday separately? Are these films are worth having or should I just get 400 Blows?

Thanks!

Also, does anyone know when Ran: Masterpiece Edition is due out? Thedigitalbits.com said last Tuesday but when I checked my local Best Buy they said some time in May...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes. See the review by debi lee mandel and me at www.digitallyobsessed.com for an in-depth look at the films and the discs. Even if you own the old Criterion disc, the new version is a HUGE step up in video and sound quality, plus there are many more extras. The other films are all quite different in their own ways, with Stolen Kisses being almost a farce and Bed & Board a tragedy of sorts.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This is a very hard question to answer, at least for those who have not seen The 400 Blows. For me, the other films concerning Antoine Doinel are not nearly so powerful.

Those who love The 400 Blows will probably also want to get the other three films. But those who are only lukewarm about the first one, will surely be disappointed with the rest.

You might think about renting The 400 Blows to see how you like it. Then decide.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Thanks! Wonderful review! I'll be picking this set up.

Thanks for the comments Lew, from the review I'm thinking that I'll love 400 Blows.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I'm definitely buying this set; I love the Doinel series although I only consider the first two films in the series to be true masterpieces. In fact, I'd say everybody who likes Rushmore should see Stolen Kisses, an obvious influence on Wes Anderson's quirky new wave-ish romantic comedy.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
First off I only paid $64.00 for Doinel box set - so to justify five films for that price is a no brainer. Granted the other films are not as good as The 400 Blows, but they are directed by Francois Truffaut, one of the greatest French directors, plus they all star Jean-Pierre Leaud, whom I didn't like at first as an adult actor, but after watching him in Day for Night changed my opinion.

Secondly, Ran Masterworks Edition is out, but forget about getting it at Best Buy, especially if it's anything like mine here in Michigan. I ended up ordering mine online because I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices at Suncoast.

debi_lee

Stunt Coordinator
as far as the later films: it's such a rare and unique opportunity to watch a filmmaker, his alter ego star and their character's life unfold over 20 years... if Doinel had remained a delinquent and we followed him through a dark life of crime ending with the guillotine, it wouldn't have been as realistic or as interesting. if Truffaut had kept making The 400 Blows, we'd have criticized him for that. i enjoy seeing how the scars of Doinel's upbringing effected his adulthood in true and universal ways (trouble with intimacy, drifting from job to job)--that's more realistic in my view. i think watching the 5 films together in chronological order might change some minds about the later ones :)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Where is the best place (lowest price) to buy this set at? The list price is 99.95, Best Buy's got it for 99.99 (their prices have been going up and up and up as of late on new release dvd's, I've constantly found them several dollars cheaper at Wal-Mart and Circuit City) and Jim mentions he paid 64 for it. Where did you get it?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
IMO, your best bet it to use the search engine at DVD Price Search. In general, DVDPlanet has the best prices on Criterion releases (35% off), but they also charge for shipping. In the case of the Doinel box set, their price is $64.97 + $4.50 S&H (continental US) = $69.47. You may find a better deal elsewhere, depending where you live.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I think DVDPlanet is in California, so for those that are Ca residents (8+% sales tax), DeepDiscountDVD is the next best bet (that I know of), $71.96, shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks