What's new

The Adire TUMULT is here! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I can just see something stupid happening and my not being able to get to a computer for a few days to get my order in! I'm definite for 1 and possibly 3, or maybe 4! Gotta go pester my good friend in Philly! And she knows who she is in case she's reading this! ;)
Brian

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
It also appears many have overlooked the Adire Hypex amplifiers. The A750/HS500 will deliver >700W and the A1500 is a freakin monster delivering more than 1200W. These are MUCH quieter than a QSC RMX.
As for the comment about needing more than 34mm of excursion for loudness... It's not about loud, it's about clean and DEEP. No one said you have to stop at 16Hz. :cool:

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Thats the thing that I am the most dissappointed with this new driver. So far, I havent seen a huge leap in extra extension with the Tumult.

Although it will most likely be more efficient than the Tempest at the lowest octave. I was hoping to see EBS alignments with a

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I guess I'd better ask my questions now before the presale is done and over with...
The Tumult looks to be good for my car but my 1500watt amp is at 2 ohm loads and not 1 ohm. Any Ideas? Would it be ok to use one VC and short the other one with no detrimental effects?
The biggest question I have is does the Tumult increase sound quality?, or just SPL and response over a tempest... I am beginning to think that the Tumult only betters at response and deep SPL. Thus, making the only noticeable difference from other 15" subs during HUGE bass movie scenes at reference level. Does the Tumult have better SQ than a Brahma? Does a Brahma have better SQ than a tempest?
Another answer I'm dying to know is WILL the tumult bottom out when only pumped 250w playing a movie 6db over reference during the mushroom scene in LOTR. :)
Is there a formula that can use TS parameters to judge when a driver bottoms out when turned up to a certain volume and pumped a certain number of watts? I'd like to know how many watts RMS would be needed for a Tumult to produce reference level with all the current movies with no bottoming out. (That in my mind would be the Perfect driver, especially if the watts needed was only 250) :D
I think the Tumult would bottom out during heavy bass scenes if I under powered it with 250w and set it to reference. This means I'd have to get a new amp if I am to upgrade a tempest -- :frowning:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thats the thing that I am the most dissappointed with this new driver. So far, I havent seen a huge leap in extra extension with the Tumult.
Although it will most likely be more efficient than the Tempest at the lowest octave. I was hoping to see EBS alignments with a

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Jack - how much power do you think would be required for such a enclosure? ANd could I do it with just ports? How big of ports?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
ANd could I do it with just ports?
This is another topic covered extensively in the original thread. Given that the new specs have a much lower Vas, my answer (just my opinion, of course) is that it's not worth it. One 6" port in 150L would need to be over 4' long to tune to 16Hz and, even then, would be adequate for about half the excursion of the driver. As I've stated before, it can certainly be done, and will "work", it just won't get all out of the driver you paid for.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Well in that case. Hehe. If it was a REAL reason to use a PR and not just because I wanted it (like I have stated in the past), then I totally would not mind purchasing a PR.

Output? Uh. Not sure really. Im just comparing it against my vented 214L Tempest. I just cant afford the over 1kw amps needed.

Im really just looking for the extra bootom end that I sacriiced for the ADire ALignment instead of going EBS. I wish I did. With a Tumult!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Maybe doing an EBS with your Tempest will be enough then?
I'd try that first, certainly cheaper than what's needed for the Tumult ($400 at least for a good amp). I do like the EBS alignments, I'm running a Shiva in one now and it's very cool.

Dennis XYZ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the numbers, Kyle. Calculating backwards from the ones you gave, here's a more complete list for those whose sim programs require them. Do these look about right?
Re =2.6ohm
Le =4.2mH
Fs = 19Hz
Bl =19.5N/A
Qms =5.5
Qes =0.4
Qts =0.37
Rms =10.6Ns/m
Mms =491g
Cms =0.143mm/N
VAS =113ltr
Sd =749cm2
Xmax =34mm
With over a pound of Mms and almost 3 inches of stroke, better build some beefy enclosures or they're going to be walking all over the floor. :D
Edit: changed Le to 4.2 for the series config.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Final T/S parameters:
Fs: 19 Hz
Qms: 5.5
Qes: 0.40
Vas: 113 liters
Xmax: 34mm one way
Sd: 749 cm^2
Vd: 5.1 liters of LINEAR displacement!
SPL: 84.8 dB @ 1W, 1m
Re: 2.6 Ohms
Le: 1.05 mH
This is directly from AV.
I am not sure what to make of the Re and Le. Id think there is a typo and the Re is for series and the Le is each coil.....I highly doubt each coil is only 0.75mH.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
See Dan's answer to me regarding the apparent series VC wiring for the Re spec and parallel wiring for the Le spec in the last paragraph of this post .

Dan Pawlowski

Stunt Coordinator
Re is for series and the Le is each coil
I thought each coil was Re = 2.4 ohm and Le = 1.05 mH.
which means
For Parallel: Re = 1.2 ohm and Le = .55 mH.
For Series: Re = 4.8 ohm and Le = 2.1 mH.
Hooking the coils on this pig up in parallel would be quite excellent if one can find an amp that could source the required current.
Dan:)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Oy. Here's a quote from DanW from that link:

The listed Le is in parallel; in series, it should be four times that value (around 4.2 mH). My mistake! Still pretty low for a driver with lots of excursion...
Parallel connection of the 2-ohm coils would lead to a nominal 1-ohm impedance, an Re below 1 ohm, and the Le listed. Series connection would lead to a nominal 4-ohm load, an Re of 2.6 ohms as listed, and an Le of 4.2mH. The specs are mixed up and combine series and parallel.

Now, one could run a channel of a good stereo amp to each coil. It'd still need to be really beefy, though, as the Re of a single coil would, I assume, dip appreciably below 2 ohms. I can only think of a Crown K2 being up to that task.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Kyle,

Your site says that shipping is free on Adire Audio drivers in the contiguous US, but not on pre-orders. Any idea how much this is going to cost to ship from wherever you are to Michigan?

Seth

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Okay, I changed the T/S on the site to show both the Re and Le in series.

Seth, it would be approximately $35 with insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks