The Adire TUMULT is here!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Richardson, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

It has been a long wait but hopefully the wait will be worth it. The Tumult begins preorder on October 23rd and runs through November 8th with a preorder price of $350. Production will be in mid November with delivery scheduled for the last week of Novemver.
    A few items have changed from the initial specs so please note:
    It is a dual 2 ohm voice coil driver which can be wired in series for a 4 ohm load for the home theater guys or parallel for a 1 ohm load for you car guys with the robust amplifiers. VC diameter is 3" in diameter.
    Stiff epoxy treated paper/Kevlar pulp cone (like on Brahma), large roll foam surround. 8" diameter Nomex spider, solid poly dustcap (straight black - no logo!). Venezuelan 4 spoke basket, 48mm thick top plate, 13mm thick back plate. Dual stack of 1" thick magnets.
    Shipping weight of this driver is 55 pounds (48 pounds for driver alone). Because of this our Canadian friends will need to order from the Canadian dealer since UPS is too expensive for international shipments and USPS damage rates are too high for this size of package.
    Final T/S parameters:
    Fs: 19 Hz
    Qms: 5.5
    Qes: 0.40
    Vas: 113 liters
    Xmax: 34mm one way
    Sd: 749 cm^2
    Vd: 5.1 liters of LINEAR displacement!
    SPL: 84.8 dB @ 1W, 1m
    Re: 2.6 Ohms
    Le: 1.05 mH
    Well, there it is! Now I cant wait until the end of November! You know where to go for order information. [​IMG]

2. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Great news! Thanks!

3. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

34mm one way!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Kyle,
    Thanks for the email man! I ran the numbers through Unibox and get practically the same response curve as with the old numbers. The biggest difference is that Qtc is lower! This is cool man! My K2 is getting hungry! [​IMG]
    Brian

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

This subwoofer driver will clearly be the standard by which all other dynamic subwoofer drivers will be measured for years to come.

6. Kyle Richardson

Yeah, I really like the way it models and its ability to be flat in small enclosures with a low Qtc.
    Looks like a winner.

7. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

This is great news indeed.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

Finally, the gods have spoken!

9. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Any pictures? At 48 pounds, I can only imagine...

I want to see Tom Nousaine measure one of these things in a nice EBS PR alignment with a gigantic amp. I think we'll be seeing some interesting competition with new products from Stryke and more indirectly, SVS. For now the Tumult looks to be a real leader and I have no doubt Adire will continue to improve its subwoofer technology.

10. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Any box plans available or are they in the works?

(They might already be done but I haven't checked anywhere yet.)

Rob

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    What's the power handling and requirements again?

12. Kyle Richardson

Power handling is similar to the Brahmas at 1600 continuous electically but mechanically will depend on the size and type of enclosure you build.

No box plans as of yet.

13. Kyle Richardson

Pictures will be available later this week.

14. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Not to complain, but 84db sensitivity is a turn off. Looks to me like this sub is for the big amps of at least 500 watts.
    2 ohm VCs? Is this thing a car audio sub? I guess a lot of HT applications will be forced to run the VCs in series to a bridged or mono amp. I wonder how would one go about running dual tumults?
    I ran some graphs and this sub goes plenty deep and loud yet also doesn't require a big box. [​IMG] But does the difference justify a retail price of $450!? Sure makes it a snooze or lose situation with the presale price.

16. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

for duals, this is something i have been lookin at for some time now. the 2 ohm vc's is a minor twist on it. im looking at 2ohms into a bridged k1 or k2.

17. Kyle Richardson

Anthony hit it right on the head. In the design process we all mentioned a smaller box, high excursion woofer that worked well in sealed and vented boxes and I believe thats exactly what Adire delivered. The fact that the efficiency is kind of low is just part of the results of designing a driver that met our requirements. Earlier in the thread (somewhere in the first 25 pages [​IMG] ) we were talking about how the sensitivity will be low but since high powered amps are reletively inexpensive now days it would be a sacrifice we would live with.
    This driver has the Crown K2 and the bigger QSC amps written all over it [​IMG]

18. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I guess this driver is for those who need a small box sub. It just seems pricey to me after everything considered. I mean, we are talking $1500+ for a single tumult/enclosure and an amp beefy enough to power it. A little too much for me. I'll stick with my $150 Tempest.

So how would the curves look for a dual tempest/shiva vs. a single Tumult?

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack's right. Not one design feature/spec/price point of this driver should be a shock to anyone here that read Jack's now infamous thread. The only real "wrinkle", if you can call it that, is the dual 2 ohm VC's. And just about every high excursion driver I've seen has had somewhat low sensitivity.

IIRC, the Tumult should be equivalent to roughly 3 Tempests from an output standpoint.

Brian