The Addams Family

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gregory V, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Gregory V

Gregory V Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any information about them putting The Addams Family on DVD. What with the release of The Munsters, there must be some interest from someone besides myself. I hear they are releasing the second and final season of the Munsters, so there must have been decent sales for the first season. I bought it and would certainly buy the Addams Family. Some people waste their money on liquor, I waste mine on entertainment...lol
    Greg

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

This is another one that I've been waiting for some news on it's release. I haven't heard a peep about this one yet. I have to believe since it's another series that had a movie release based on it, that it's inevitable that it's on its way to the stores.

3. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    MGM apparently owns the 1960s THE ADDAMS FAMILY series now; for the longest time, I thought it was under Paramount/Viacom's control. One would think that they'd see the wisdom of releasing a Season 1 DVD set, and would stand to make at least as much money as Gomez did investing in Consolidated Lint stock. With second sets of GREEN ACRES and MR. ED about to be released by MGM, and Universal's success with THE MUNSTERS, can an ADDAMS FAMILY set be in our short-term future? I sure hope so. It's one of my most-wanted TV series not yet on DVD.

4. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

"Tish! That's FRENCH!!" [​IMG]

5. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I was sure after we heard the announcement of s.1 Munsters that the Addams Family wouldn't be too far behind...I would buy it in a second!

6. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

The show was based on a comic strip so we could be dealing with rights issues again, ala Batman.

7. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

Count me in on this series. It's a classic just like the Munsters and it needs to be a part of my TV Shows on DVD Library.

It's a given that it will do well sales wise and a no-brainer buy in my book.

[​IMG]

8. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

The mind boggles at why this isn't already on DVD. I'd buy this series in a heartbeat.

9. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    In a world where The Munsters are on DVD, there has to be The Addams Family on DVD. These two shows -- both of which ran two seasons, 1964-65 and 1965-66 -- are forever linked. Their DVD releases should have been simultaneous.

But I won't lose heart. The last time I did that, the doctor had to sew it back in and recharge me.

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Mark To has a good point about rights issues. The Charles Addams Estate may have ownership in this series.

If I remember correctly, the animated Addams Family made an appearance on the New Scooby Doo Movies show. That episode is being left off the upcoming compilation of the Scooby Doo Movies series. I would assume that rights issues are at play here as well.

My guess is that MGM (assuming they own this) would love to get this out, but that they're having to deal with legal hurdles.

Steve

11. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    One thing MGM needs to remember for DVD releases is to restore Jackie Coogan's name to the credits of the second-season episodes. The last two times the show has turned up on TV Land, the package has used the first-season opening for all shows. In the first season, Coogan's name appeared only in the end credits. In the second season, when the shot of him was shown in the opening credits, his name appeared. It was then removed from the end credits. Thus, when the first-season opening airs with second-season end titles: no Coogan.

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I've said this everytime a thread has come up for this show...I want this on DVD now! Mark mentioning the comic book and how that might lead to rights issues is a good point and hadn't really been discussed in these parts that I have seen. I don't know for sure that its what's holding up the release, but I hope that if its part of the problem that something could be worked out.

13. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

That must be TVLand's doing, not MGM's. The series has been airing on a local channel and Coogan's credit appears just where it's supposed to. In the first season episodes it appears on the closing credits just before Ted Cassidy, Blossom Rock, Lisa Loring and Ken Weatherwax get listed. In the second season it appears on the opening credits just as Ted Cassidy says the word "neat."

I have noticed that one of the episodes, Cousin Itt Visits the Addams Family, has the wrong closing credits. The credits shown are the same as the previous episode, The Addams Family Splurges. I don't have cable so I don't know if the TVLand broadcasts have the same problem or not.

The local broadcasts are cut for syndication with every episode clocking in at almost exactly 22 minutes and 4 seconds. Thanks to the cuts, I have noticed a couple episodes where the closing credits list a minor guest star who never even appeared in the episode. So even though I've recorded every episode to DVD-R, I would still love to buy an official, unedited release some day.

Mark mentioned that rights issues with the Charles Addams estate could be holding this series up. Another possibility is that this series looks like it needs quite a bit of restoration work. The splices between scenes made when the show was first edited in the '60s have not aged well leading to luminance variations at the top of the screen between scene changes. This is especially problematic in the second season. There are also a couple instances where the picture distorts due to warped film. But then who knows what MGM used to dub the series to BetaSP. It's entirely possible that the original negatives are in much better shape.

14. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    That's interesting, re the TV Land/local channel differences, James. In its defense, TV Land was the first place I ever saw Andy Griffith Shows that had Elinor Donahue's name spoken in the opening credits of shows where she appeared. They also ran episodes where Don Knotts' name was not spoken in the handful of early eps where he did not appear. Every other time I had seen these first-season shows rerun, the same Griffith-Howard-Knotts opening was used no matter who was in the show, w/o Donahue ever being mentioned except in a wardrobe credit at the end.

One odd thing about The Addams Family, though, was that since (I think) every cast member had his/her own shot in the opening credits: why didn't they just put a credit for everyone there when the person's shot came up?!? On the other hand, in those halcyon days, you had the luxury of easy-to-read end credits and could afford to stick most if not all of the credits of a show at the end. Today, with CGI credits run at warp speed in the marginal area of the screen, you can't do that. At least two soap operas I know of now credit cast members in the main title, which they never needed to do before--I assume because of the end credit's illegibility.

Columbia/Tri-Star/Sony/Screen Gems (or whatever) and not TV Land may be guilty of another opening-credit blunder with I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, because this seems to appear on Columbia House tapes, commercial tapes and syndicated prints. On Bewitched, I've never seen any copyright dates other than 1964 (for all b/w eps), 1966 (all Dick York color eps) and 1969 (all Dick Sargent eps). IIRC, Jeannies all have 1965 copyrights for b/w and 1966 for color. Surely, even if the cartoon openings didn't change much, at least the copyright year was updated as these series went along in their original runs.

15. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

Oh my god, I'm so frustrated to wait for these DVDs...

I watch some episodes from the VHS, released some years ago, and if these episodes are on VHS, I still try to understand why they can't release it on DVD...

They realy need to release this series, the TV Movie, and even the New Addams Family Series, and the two animated shows...

16. MilesH

MilesH Stunt Coordinator

17. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

Great!

Region 2, but hopefully the Region 1 DVD will come at the same time!

Thanks for the news! [​IMG]