What's new

The Abyss (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
But the film IS set during the Cold War. The themes, plot devices, and references make that pretty clear. Cameron is directly addressing the issues of the time.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Well ok. But I still think a few thong bikinis would improve the ending. Seriously, because the reaction shots are just poorly done. Most of the people are looking -- for the most part -- in the right direction, and they sort of look concerned. But it is only extras level acting on the part of the extras. And the crowds look a bit too thin for such an epic event. I think that the ending we saw was never completed to satisfaction. They took the footage they had, and they invested time in making the waves -- but maybe shooting better crowds was beyond what they could do at the time.

I'd be satisfied even if they reshot the crowds with extras dressed in 1980s bathing suits, if that would change anyone's opinions. Because it isn't just that the clothes date the film, it is that everything about those reaction shots screams "second unit".

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
All I can say to that is: /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsdown.gif We'll just have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion the best thing to do with The Abyss is to leave it alone. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the film as it exists, except for the fact that we STILL don't have a proper home video release. BRING ON THE BLU-RAY!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, I thought the extended ending was just hokey and abrupt as if it needed *much* fuller/better resolution, especially considering the seriousness of the subject matter and how heavyhanded it is. Feels almost like a tacked-on Scooby Doo ending, IMHO, despite the paranormal happenings in certain parts of the movie. /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

I liked the director's cut up until that very ending, which I thought completely ruined it. Not saying I liked the theatrical version, but the director's cut extended ending was just bunk, IMHO.

_Man_

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Every filmmaker learns from his mistakes. Abyss mistake is to have the emotional climax two thirds into the film. Once Lindsay is bought back, nothing else can top that scene. What happens next is still a great trip, tought. It's a flawed film, but a flawed Cameron film is better than many well crafted films from other directors.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Well I've thought about it for a few months, and I still feel the same.

Indeed, I want more: New, "smaller" water surrounding the Naval vessels so they look less like models, and new water effects around the rise of the alien bathtub toy, and, new beachgoer reaction shots. (Good opportunity for friends and colleagues of Cameron to appear as beachgoers, too.)

The firmness of my desire is based on going over the Blade Runner Final Cut again last night, where the revised shot of the pigeon flying up into the sky was such a significant improvement over what had looked cheap before. (And countless other small fixes.) I think as long as a revised version of The Abyss is subtitled appropriately (The Abyss: Final Cut?), it is fine to do.

I'm also bearing in mind that the ending of The Abyss was itself completed later as a special edition anyhow, so it is really just continuing with that effort to make a perfect ending to The Abyss.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I agree with mike. I dont want any changes either. its fine as is.. except that it would be cool if it was enhanced for widescreen and on blu ray.

Jacob

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I want an anamorphic transfer released on both DVD and Blu-Ray. It's an excellent film that deserves a more deluxe treatment.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Quote:

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
Actually, I thought the extended ending was just hokey and abrupt as if it needed *much* fuller/better resolution, especially considering the seriousness of the subject matter and how heavyhanded it is. Feels almost like a tacked-on Scooby Doo ending, IMHO, despite the paranormal happenings in certain parts of the movie. /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

I liked the director's cut up until that very ending, which I thought completely ruined it. Not saying I liked the theatrical version, but the director's cut extended ending was just bunk, IMHO.

_Man_

Totally agree. It's like you've cracked open my head and smeared the contents over the internets. The wave ending completely undoes the spell of the dank, dark claustrophobic movie that preceded it.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I like the wave scene. What ends the movie a bit off is the final scene, when the characters all go "waouh !" and hit their caps on their tights when Brigmann get back. I think Mr Cameron also feels he didn't get the feeling right on those scenes. But hey, the Abyss was one thought shoot. He pulled it off on other parts, especially the resurrection scene which remains, to this day, the best, most intense, emotional scene he ever put to film.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have a couple of questions for van regarding the abyss:

1) with cameron new view on the 1.78 on avatar? is it possible that he would change the screen format for the abyss on bluray (hopefully not)

2) has there been any talk about a expanded soundtrack for the abyss from companies that specialize in remastered/expanded editon soundtracks? this could also go with other soundtrack from camerons film.

thanks

Jacob

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I would be happy with a 1.78 release, remember, the original widescreen laserdisc was 1.95 or something, essentially it played on a widescreen TV filling up the whole screen. I prefer to watch the 4/3 DVD to the widescreen one, it's much easier on the eyes.

The available 2.35 DVD is framed too tight, and feels to cramped. I would settle for a 2.20 version thought.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I guess 1989 was replete with underwater thrillers. I just watched Sean Cunningham's DeepStar Six on Netflix Instant Play and I'll probably watch Leviathan later. DS6 was just a harmless little B-movie from Carolco but it's amazing the difference some like James Cameron can make. Interestingly enough, the story for DS6 was conceived by Lewis Abernathy, one Cameron's Titanic buddies.

And, yes... the entire time I was watching, I was reminded of The Abyss and how much we're all looking forward to a Blu-Ray release.

Any updates from the front? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I would love to see a remastered, anamorphic standard DVD of THE ABYSS as well as a Blu-Ray. The current transfer, as far as I know, dates back to the director's cut laserdisc. I'ts really time for a remastering!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Look for a remastered version of the Abyss sometime after Cameron completes his Avatar trilogy AND he's done converting Titanic to 3-D, so maybe around 2046 or so. Whether or not you'll care by then is another thing.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Interesting post on the Bits' rumor mill today:

Okay... the following should be considered VERY tentative. However, we've now heard it from multiple independent sources, including reliable industry insiders, so.... Sources are telling us that director James Cameron has been (or it about to begin) working on a new high-def transfer and master of The Abyss, presumably for eventual Blu-ray Disc release. As many of you know, The Abyss is a title that doesn't even have an anamorphic widescreen DVD release (neither does True Lies for that matter) so it's LONG overdue. We've been hearing this might soon happen from industry insiders for a couple of months now, but the most recent report on this comes from a longtime Bits reader (thank you, Jon H!) who actually had the chance to meet Cameron a few weeks ago. He asked specifically about the possibility of The Abyss coming to Blu-ray, and Cameron said that he was about to start work on a new transfer using the same process he did with the Aliens Blu-ray. Cameron then proceeded to say that he was really excited about how good Aliens looks on the format. So... fingers crossed... maybe we'll finally see those remaining Cameron titles on Blu-ray in the next 12 months or so...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I hope True Lies won't come too long after Aliens and Abyss as that one sorely needs a new release (even more so than the Abyss -- and that's besides the fact I can't stand the extended ending of the Abyss ).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks