What's new

The Abyss Special Edition. (1 Viewer)

Kalan

Auditioning
Why in the hell are there two versions of this edition? The single disc and the double disc, with only a $5 difference in the price. Man, I hastily picked up this DVD the other day at Best Buy, and didn't even think about looking to see if it was the "Single Disc Edition" or the "Double Disc Edition", and of course got the single. And the packaging is exactly the same too. Evil! Evil!!!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I recall somethign about Fox removing their 2 disk SE sets, or something like that. If you see the the 2 disk version, snap it up.

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
This whole thing from Fox makes absolutely no sense to me.

The two-discs that were discontinued (Cast Away, Abyss, ID4) are already reasonably priced (the two-discs are all $19.99 at Best Buy), and the money for producing the supplements is already spent.

Are replication costs so high that Fox feels they can't make money by leaving the two-discs on the shelf?

Extremely disappointing, and I feel sorry for any late-comers to DVD who now can't enjoy these fabulous special editions.

Nick_Da

Agent
Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up The Abyss on DVD, although I haven't seen it before. I remember hearing about how great the 2-disc Special Edition was, but I was in Best Buy the other day, and like Michael said, there was a single disc edition that was 14.99. What's the deal? What's the difference between the single disc and the 2-disc SE? Why did Fox decide to do this? Is the single disc edition that much different than the 2-disc one?

Nick

SimonKing

Auditioning
Get the 2 disk version if you can. The making of documentary alone is worth it, and that doesn't appear to be on the 1 disk version.

Why on earth would they switch to a one disk version???

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
:) ;) I ordered the 2 disc SE a couple of days ago, after reading the thread about Fox stopping it....
I only paid £10 (with FREE delivery) from CD Wow - I'm not sure where outside the UK they are based, but they are super cheap compared to normal UK prices. You have to have a multi region player because they don't guarantee what region the disc will be though!

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I'm glad I read this thread.

The Abyss is one of my all-time favorites, but had not picked up the DVD yet.

Yesterday, the wife and I were browsing the DVD section at Target and I found the 2-disc Special Edition for 19.99.

Didn't even have to think about it. I snatched it right up.

Thanks to this forum, I won't have to scour the net/E-bay for the SE of this Classic!

Bob Weissman

Auditioning
Wait until you see the ending of the special edition. It is very different from the original theatrical version. Much expanded with extra scenes and a very different message from the ending you've seen before. 'Nuff said! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I would agree with all the post above that say to get the 2-disc set if you can.

Glad I bought this DVD when CompUSA was clearing out their older DVD's for $12.99. That was about a year and a half ago, man how time flys.

YANG

Screenwriter
The front cover artwork does indeed resambles the two disc release.The only way to differentiate the two release is by the packaging and back cover artwork.

The packaging is quite easy to differentiate.Two disc release uses silver/grey colored DUAL ALPHAs which is far more thicker than the single disc keepcase-which is wrapped with cellowrap.Two disc release wrapped using vacuum seal.

So far in SINGAPORE,I have only seen the single disc re-release of ID4 and ABYSS,have not seen CAST AWAY yet.CA will be more confusing to consumers,if the same artwork for the slim dual amaray used for the re-release.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
CA will be more confusing to consumers,if the same artwork for the slim dual amaray used for the re-release.
It is more confusing. They look exactly alike, except the very small letter of Two-Disc Set is now gone. If you didn't look closely you would miss it.

-Chad

John CW

Supporting Actor
A member with over a thousand posts to his name asks something, which... well, amazes me! Ryan: How on Earth have you managed to post over a THOUSAND messages in nearly two months???

Someone with that much free time should be able to do a search on the net and find an answer.

~ John

Todd Durham

Agent
just picked the 2 disc version up today at costco for $17.99..not a bad price....in case anyone is looking to expand their collection they also had braveheart and mission impossible 2 for $13.99 each and field of dreams for $12.99...just couldn't pass on those prices

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Had the 2 disc sets of The Abyss & ID4 almost 2 years ago.
Very glad to have bought them, absolutely no regrets.
Spare me all this confusion:)

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Peter Staddon said that the single-disk versions were P&S versions with no extras for the J6P crowd and that the 5 star two-disk editions would be the OAR presentation for the film enthusiasts. Has Fox, since then, decided to simply stop producing the 2-disc sets? If so, it appears that contrary to Mr. Staddon, J6P is winning. Damn!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks