What's new

The Abyss: SE (Widescreen) Release 5/21/02 - Is it Anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I did a search and couldn't find anything definitive in any of the threads. Anybody know.

DVD Soon says it's 16:9. Peter Staddon has stated that all Fox widescreen titles will be 16:9 enhanced. DVD Empire says it isn't.

How is one to know whether to order it or not. I don't buy anything but 16:9. There's so much confusion going on from the studios there no longer seems to exist a source of trustworthy information.

Deane

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I would assume this is the same non-anamorphic transfer from the 2 disc se version.

Could be wrong, but I'd bet a dollar that I'm not (uless it's un "upsampled" anamorphic from the non-anamorphic version).

-V

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
If it is the same Fox 2-disc special edition version I have, which is the best one out there, it isn't. It is widescreen, but not anamorphic. However, still a stellar transfer.

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
This new SE looks to be just disc 1 from the earlier 2 disc set. Non-Anamorphic, widescreen, and both the extended version and the theatrical version done via seamless branching...etc.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Tony is correct.

They just repackaged the first disc from the two disc set by itself.

Sort of like how Anchor Bay used to do its limited edition two disc sets.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Just as an aside, I watched The Abyss today for the first time with my Panasonic Rp-91 scaling it to a Toshiba 40H80.

The resulting image is very, very good. I would rather it be anamorphic but this is pretty close.

-Gary

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
They just repackaged the first disc from the two disc set by itself.
Are we sure about this, or is it just guesswork?

Doesn't the first disc contain a message to the user to "insert disc 2" to access certain menu options?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
You're right. Oops.

It just basically the same DVD as before but with a slightly altered menu.

Everything else is the same. Letterbox widescreen, Dolby Digital & Dolby Surround English, English subtitles, Text Commentary, and Theatrical & Extended versions.

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Carl, when I said
This new SE looks to be just disc 1 from the earlier 2 disc set. Non-Anamorphic, widescreen, and both the extended version and the theatrical version done via seamless branching...etc.
, I was only talking disc content. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
When I compared the two different versions, the new release had the same content as disc one from the old release. I didn't mean it was literally the same disc. Though I suspect it's the same disc with only a slightly altered menu(so it doesn't refer to a second disc anymore), like rutger said.. ;)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
FYI, the widescreen (non-anamorphic) 1-disc is already available, it had a street date of 3/5/02.

The street date in the title of your thread is for the P&S version of the Abyss.

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks