The abyss Re-release??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kristoffer, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Okay now that Van Ling is going to be on the chat, could somebody ask him if a Abyss re-release is being planed?
    With anamorphic transfer and maybe dts?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

If I remember correctly, questions for chats aren't supposed to be posted on the forum to keep studios/guests from preparing answers.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Fox has plans to re-release their 2-disc sets (which are out out print) in the near future.

The Abyss is a good title to do anamorphic on the next edition, but don't expect DTS. With over 3 hours of video on the first disc, DTS wouldn't happen. Of course, Fox COULD do a 3-disc edition which has the two editions separated...but the extended edition would still require two discs. The best solution would likely to break the film into two parts anyways. That way, both cuts of the film get DTS and optimal image quality.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I would only hope for an anamorphic transfer and a Cameron commentary.

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Add another couple commentaries to Fight Club maybe? Or package it with a bar of soap?

7. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Just curious, did the first 2 disc set sell well enough to make another release?

8. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Okay sorry, didn't know that...
    Thanx for the replies anyways_

9. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Bill, as far as I know they're just "re-releasing" the previous 2-disc editions. I know there is some Daredevil promotion where they've re-released them to Costco to help promote it.

10. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

13. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

14. Steven_M Grimes

Steven_M Grimes Stunt Coordinator

15. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

16. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

This movie makes me cry like no other. What a great film. I personally prefer the special edition BY FAR. This set definitely deserves an anamorphic transfer. But on the original release, don't the 16x9 enhanced menus look great???!![​IMG]

17. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Just to add a little but I don't think it is a directors cut, rather just an extended edition. I do not believe he has ever released a directors cut of any of his films unless there theaterical release was his final cut.

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i was under the impression that cameron used his own money several years after the theatrical release of abyss, to film the new footage.

so i'm guessing he wanted the extended version.
    it may be in the doc thats on the 2 disc version but i havent watched it in awhile and i cant remember.

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Frankly, I liked the different Aliens. In movies, they either want to be our friends or vaporize us. In this case it was "hey guys, we're living here too, knock it off or we'll make you knock it off"

I think Contact said it best, when they said we're so afraid because we feel so alone.

20. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

The extended version of The Abyss makes more sense than the theatrical release but does make the aliens seem more evil. For example lets imagine we were to land on another planet with plans to live there and we start getting pissed off at the natives for their war's with one another. So we naturally decide that threatening the natives with extinction will quiet the primitives down so things will be more peaceful on "our" new world. In that context it makes the aliens in The Abyss seem more human but also far less good. James Cameron want's peace in the world and so do I, but I think in The Abyss he went way to much towards the idea "be nice or die".

I believe that the best movie made yet about peaceful alien(s) landing on our world was The Day the Earth Stood Still. The reason is that the aliens in that movie wouldn't care what we do in our own solar system as long as we don't have our wars outside it. Their message was defensive in nature since it's only if they were put in danger by our behavior that they would react. Though both movie's were against war I think the message in The Day the Earth Stood Still was far more fair than the Abyss.

Also I much prefer the extended version of Aliens since it fills in the emotional side of the story with Ripley while also putting in those cool sentry guns. I believe in the case of Aliens the theatrical cut was only done to make the movie shorter and not any better. In cases such as those I have no problem with the extended version only being released. I know James Cameron prefers the T2 theatrical cut in which I agree with him, but I believe the studio made the cuts for Aliens which he objected to.