1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Abyss on Amazon Prime Cinemax channel?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Bartman, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bartman

Bartman Extra

Trevor Bartram
    Has anyone viewed the Abyss via the Amazon Prime Cinemax channel and can comment on picture quality?

Are there any other theatrical movies unique to the Cinemax channel?

Thanks in advance, Trevor.

2. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    I haven't seen it recently but I would assume it's the same old Cinemax HD transfer that played several years ago. If I remember correctly, it was the theatrical cut and it looked pretty nice.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    It’s the theatrical cut, it looks good. It isn’t the Long cut so I don’t have use for it but I do get that some might.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I can not wait for The Abyss to be out on 4K UHD Blu-ray since they did a new restoration and transfer and it will be coming out on Blu-ray and most likely 4K Blu-ray! It is my understanding that James Cameron was involved in the restoration of The Abyss!

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Where’d you get that understanding from?

The most recent info we’ve seen is posted in the actual thread about the Abyss and that was only a somewhat cryptic photo from Instagram.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have heard conversations at the studio regarding Cameron being involved in the restoration of a 4K master of The Abyss! This film as we know and True Lies has only been available on DVD as far as physical media goes. I have not heard if True Lies restoration has been completed but I intend to when I have a chance to ask head of restoration at Fox if the restoration of True Lies has been completed.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  7. Bartman

Bartman Extra

Trevor Bartram
    Thanks, everyone, I prefer the extended cut, for the time being I'll wait for Blu-ray or UHD, that would be a good excuse to buy a 4K player!

I have the fullscreen DVD, that I believe at the time Cameron said, was a better viewing experience than the letterboxed DVD.

I have the extended laserdisc I believe that boxed set cost $100 at the time, some things change for the better, it's had a lot of use, the extras are amazing, I hope they port them to Blu-ray.

By the way True Lies in HD was available on the Roku channel, with adverts of course, I left after 30 minutes, couldn't take the interruptions!!

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Fox is pretty good with porting over the extras from their DVDs (which, in the case of The Abyss, were ported over from the laserdisc) so I'd expect to see them on the Blu-ray too.