What's new

THE ABYSS anamorphic release? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
It may interest some to know that Cameron released a FULLSCREEN, 1.33 Limited Edition SE boxset version on LD, which he was quite happy with, claiming all were equal in his eyes (in fact, I think he might have preferred it over the WS set).
The Abyss was shot in Super 35, so he actually had to matte it-'cut' or mask off the top and bottom of the frame to make a WS version, unlike what is normally done. They were kinda scarce, but I did hold one in my hands.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
he said that before hi res widescreen tv and dvds were available.

he wouldnt prefer that version now.
it has been discussed before probably in this thread somewhere.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it probably was obvious.
i'm not exactly the master of the obvious tho'

:frowning:

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
How could they possibly release the Abyss *yet again* without a new anamorphic transfer?? You've got to be kidding me! :frowning:

Are we quite sure there won't be a new transfer? Who in their right mind, other than George Lucas... , releases one of the best sci-fi movies in recent years without an anamorphic transfer at a time when it's absolutely standard on new DVD releases?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's just a repackaging so it's not really being released again. If there was some type of new content on the disc, I'd say it's a re-release but it is the same disc but this time it's in a tin can shaped like a DVD case. :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Can anyone confirm if the new DVD set of The Abyss that came out on June 5th has the DD 5.1 soundtrack? There was some other DVD version released a few years ago that only had 2.0 sound, with no option for DD 5.1. I want to make sure this new DVD set has a DD 5.1 soundtrack included. Thanks for any info. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If a cursory search of DVD Empire is any indication, those Fox repackaged re-release plans The Bits mentioned (excerpted back in post #45) have changed.

It doesn't look like Alien and Aliens lenticulars happened (yet?). Curiously, they're doing lenticular and "steelbook" re-releases of Robocop.

I don't see any listing for an Abyss re-release--at least not on June 5.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Ya' know, if they did this right, they'd release a bare-bones, anamorphic Abyss, like Criterion did with Brazil. That'd be the way to go.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the scifi channel has been playing the abyss for a while now. .depends on when the scifi channel goes HD.

Jacob

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
At this point I'd rather JC and Fox prioritize this for Blu-ray release (along with that other non-anamorph in the JC discography, True Lies).

So did anyone purchase a re-packaged Abyss earlier this month? I don't think it happened . . .

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

??..AFAIK, every ABYSS DVD release has had DD5.1 sound.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

Not so... In Canada, at least, there are a number of Abyss releases which state that they are anamorphic video, and DD 5.1.

They are in fact letterboxed and DD 2.0

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
On the amazon web site I read the following review below from a The Abyss DVD owner.

"What is this digipak version?, July 7, 2004
By Marius Zydyk (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
This digipak edition DVD does NOT have a 5.1 soundtrack. The picture remains letterboxed, not anamorphic, and it still carries the THX certification, though it is not marked so on the box. If you can, obtain the original Special Edition release in plastic case with black cover, it has the 5.1 soundtrack. If, like me, you are still waiting for the proper anamorphic release of The Abyss, this is NOT IT, it is simply an inferior repackaging."

I'm not sure what this "digipak" version that amazon was selling is exactly, but apparently it has an odd bright white front cover design, unlike the normal dark front cover one would expect for The Abyss. According to this fan review, you had to get the earlier Special Edition released in 2000 to get DD 5.1 sound. Are you saying that review is definitely wrong, that every DVD set released of the Abyss (Region 1) has a DD 5.1 soundtrack? That would be good news. :)

By the way, below is a link to the new DVD set of The Abyss just released on June 5th.

http://www.amazon.com/Abyss-Director...2790421&sr=1-3

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
David_P: Could you please point out which particular versions of The Abyss have the DD 5.1 soundtrack? It would be a big help! :)

If I get one of these The Abyss DVD sets, I want to make sure I'm getting one that has the DD 5.1 soundtrack. I know that none of the sets are anamorphic, but I at least want the DD 5.1 soundtrack. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks