What's new

UPDATE The Abyss and True Lies --4K Now Possibly In 2019 (See Post #69) (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
A 4K scan transfered to 4K UHD Of T2 and everything elsse will be and end all remaster for me.

20160729_191318.jpg

I am excited about the possibility of being able to upgrade my dvd version of The Abyss to 4K UHD Blu-ray!

And the only way I purchase Star Wars again is on 4K UHD Blu-ray!

IMG_0470.jpg

20160729_192422.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'll believe it when I see it. Guess TRUE LIES is a lock for 2027. :)
This is my least favorite Cameron film (aside from Piranha II, which I've not seen). I despise the misogynistic sequence in which Jamie Lee Curtis' character is humiliated while Arnold and Co. observe. And what about Tom Arnold's line, "Ass like a ten-year-old boy..."? The final half hour of the film is good, but I won't be protesting in the streets if this doesn't get a Blu-ray release. Great news about THE ABYSS, if only something could be done about that cheesy-looking spaceship as it is revealed at the end....looks like (and I'm sure was) spray-painted and rather poorly at that. The director's cut would be preferable, as the tidal wave sequence is quite effective.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Maybe I'm just an ignorant boob, but I thought that there was no way to harvest HDR information out of film. I'm recalling a Lawrence of Arabia discussion here.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Maybe The Abyss is a bit long in the tooth for the HDR treatment (whatever that is, I can't get my brain around it despite reading up on it a few times). I'll of course buy both The Abyss & True Lies if they're released on Blu-ray looking good, but I'd have liked The Abyss a lot more if it had been a straight up action/adventure film without all the alien stuff

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
So, it looks like there are glimpses of sunlight, but we're not completely out of the woods yet. Here's Cameron's quote, sourced from Variety:

“We’ve done a wet-gate 4K scan of the original negative, and it’s going to look insanely good,” Cameron said. “We’re going to do an authoring pass in the DI for Blu-ray and HDR at the same time.”

The original negative only represents the theatrical version, not the special edition. Is that correct?

Reactions: PMF

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Did you know... James Cameron actually contributed to the ending of X-Men: Days of Future Past and demanded the "Rogue" cut, which restored Anna Paquin and others to the director's cut. Famke Janssen was delighted to be included as well, applauding the attention it gave to her character, however brief. Piranha II: The Spawning of Cameron-inspired special edition director's cuts has definitely given small but notable career boosts to many actors.

Whew, I need to eat some sugar after that freaking pun...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks