What's new

*the abso!ute sound* gives *Ella and Louis* and *Getz/Gilberto* SACDs poor reviews. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The current issue of the abso!ute sound (on newsstands now; March 2003?) has reviews of the Universal Ella & Louis and Getz/Gilberto SACDs. Both titles garnered rather poor reviews. I don't have the issue here, but as I recall, the Ella & Louis SACD was particularly faulted for sounding hot (Louis' horn, for example). On the Getz/Gilberto SACD, the reviewer felt that Astrud Gilberto's vocals and Getz's sax were not mixed properly.

I have read mixed reviews of these SACDs on Audio Asylum and Steve Hoffman's forum. It seems that these titles were not done with the utmost care. As memory serves, Kevin Reeves mixed both of these titles for SACD. Does he have a history of making "hot" mixes?

Given the reviews I have read for these two SACDs, I'd be curious to hear your opinions of them, especially when compared to the same titles on other formats. I have the Getz/Gilberto SACD, and it sounds good to my ears. It is easily more airy and natural-sounding than the current remastered CD. I also prefer the SACD to my old Verve CD, though that CD sounds very good and has the proper stereo orientation on "The Girl From Ipanema" (the orientation is reversed on the remastered CD and the SACD).

I don't have Ella & Louis on CD or SACD, but I have been thinking of getting the SACD since it is a great album and it is so cheap. Still, I'd like to hear some thoughts on this SACD.

KrisM

Second Unit
I'd be curious about the Ella&Louis disc as well. I think there was a post awhile back about these. I think a review site also gave them a poor review.
Did they compare this disc to any of Sony's Armstrong discs?Maybe its me but Armstrong's playing usually sounds "hot" so maybe it is on the master tape that way, and not the fault of the mix.

Regards
KrisM

NP - Sonny Rollins - Way Out west/Saxaphone Collosus

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
We discussed this rather a lot in at least two threads on this forum when those reviews were posted to the website. Many of us took issue with them (myself included).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, thanks. I don't recall a discussion of Ella & Louis and only vaguely recall reading complaints here about Getz/Gilberto. I'll have to do a search.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,

I feel that Ella & Louis is wonderful in terms of sonics and performance.

I also like the Getz/Gilberto to be very good but a bit soft sounding. Still a must for Brazilian music fans.

:)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Keith I just received Getz/Gilberto in the mail this week, and it sounds good to my ears. It bests the remastered CD which I also own a copy. I do not have any earlier recordings of this other then those two, so maybe all the SACD is doing is making a bad mix sound better. Hmm.

I also own Ella and Louis and can understand where some of the reviews are coming from when they say the trumpet is a bit hot. Unfortunatly I do not own this title on any other format, so this may be a problem with the SACD or has always been there since the original master. Overall I found this disc very enjoyable.

Other then that, both discs are winners in my book and the prices sure are right.

J

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If you guys like that bossa nova/samba sound, check out the "Ana Caram: Blue Bossa" SACD. The sonics are extraordinary, among the most natural sounding I've heard.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Both the trumpet and Louie's voice are hot to the point that sometimes he sounds like he's got a lisp.

This is also the case on the DID disc that I have.

As I stated before, I don't think that there is a significant diff between the SACD & the DID. I could have easily spent that $15 on something else.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
As I stated before, I don't think that there is a significant diff between the SACD & the DID. I could have easily spent that $15 on something else.
Thanks for your thoughts on this disc. Fortunately I did not previously own the Desert Island release, so I guess I bought the best version available but in no way the pinnacle of the SACD format.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
As I stated before, I don't think that there is a significant diff between the SACD & the DID.
I strongly disagree. The Super Audio version blows away the redbook Desert Island version.

The trumpet was recorded hot on the master. The Super Audio is just showing what is there. I think it sounds fine, just a little forward.

:)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I'm sorry Lee, "blowing it away" is an over assessment.

It may be "marginally" better, but not worth the repurchase.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Many SACD owners have commented on the dissapointing sound quality from Universal SACDs.

Looks like they're more concerned with quantity than quality.

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
not to be smug, but the original mono verve on vinyl sounds fantastic. :)

i too was planning on picking this sacd up, but may hold off. too bad, one of my favorite albums.

david

Ian Lascell

Agent
I remember reading that Armstrong's horn was too close to the mic during this session. What are you going to do?

The Getz/Gilberto SACD is about the warmest recording I've ever heard. I simply love it. The only other one I own that compares in warmth is Ben Webster's "Warm Moods" on redbook CD. I know the soundstage is reversed, what difference does it make? It plays no role in my enjoyment of the music.

Isn't Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" SACD from Universal as well? I have no problems with this one, either. By far the best it has ever sounded in my home. What are Universal's bad releases?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
What are Universal's bad releases?
I have to agree with Ian here. :)

The Coltrane is superb, the Diana Krall is superb, and the Natalie Cole is superb. The Louis and Ella may seem bright or forward in spots but a lot of recordings of this vintage do.

And Ryan Adams Gold is better than superb. Maybe my best for 2002.

I can't wait for the Blue Note releases...:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have been generally happy with the Universal SACDs I've purchased. Thus far, I have the following:

* Diana Krall When I look in your eyes
* John Coltrane A Love Supreme
* The Who My Generation
* Stan Getz Getz/Gilberto
* Ryan Adams Gold

I don't know how these SACDs have been reviewed overall, but I have been happy with them.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I actually like the Getz/Gilberto SACD. The difference between the SACD and the CD is most noteable in the guitar and sax, which sound warmer and clearer, making the listening experience more pleasant.

Any complaints levied against the Ella & Louis album apply to the CD as well.

I have no complaints againt the Coltrane or Krall SACDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks