What's new

The Abbott & Costello Complete Universal Pictures Sets: Could A Blu-Ray Version Be Next? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That same VHS, with the same cover was available in the late 90's from Movies Unlimited. From what I understand it was not an authorizered release and mediocre quality probably recorded from TV.
Bob may have more info on that.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was thinking about replacing the original A&C set with the newer slimmer look so it aligns better with my other movie box sets...:)

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
So I looked again and I guess when I saw that Universal had reissued the Best of dvd set, they had redone all 4 sets, but I guess not.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
rmw650 said:
I actually have a VHS version of It Ain't Hay and Rio Rita when they were virtually impossible to get on any format.
And now you can upgrade Rita with the Warner Archive MOD version.
(Along with A&C Meet Captain Kidd, and, for absolute completists, The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock.)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
albert_m2 said:
So I looked again and I guess when I saw that Universal had reissued the Best of dvd set, they had redone all 4 sets, but I guess not.
Hi Albert!

Depending how one looks at this, this single "Best Of Abbott & Costello" reissue volume represents either a bit of overkill or a massively coming up short on Universal's part! I mean, why reissue only one volume of a set that for at least two reasons, badly needed an upgrading in of itself? Couple this with the now twice issued "Abbott & Costello Complete Universal Pictures Collection," which in my opinion, renders an only partially revised Multi Volume Set useless! Also, I believe that this currently costs at least twice that of the double sided "Franchise Collection" Volume 1 set on the Barnes & Noble website!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
From what I found searching online, it was a company called Nostalgia Family Video (Established 1999) that issued IT AIN'T HAY on VHS. In Film Preservationist David Shepard's own words, they are "Major Pirates." Just the fact that this Cassette wasn't issued by Universal should be a Red Flag, in any case! Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that Nostalgia Family Video wasn't sued into the Stone Age over this!

I gave this one a fresh viewing yesterday afternoon, my first proper viewing of it in three decades! While still a lot of fun (And is certainly no turkey!), I find myself agreeing with others that IT AIN'T HAY is a bit weak in comparison with the other Universal Features from Abbott & Costello's 1941-1943 period. I attribute this primarily to the fact that the Damon Runyan story wasn't made for Bud & Lou to begin with! The print transfer on the A&C Complete Universal Pictures Collection is, in my opinion, pretty top notch!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding the ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION; In addition to the inclusion of IT AIN'T HAY and Commentary Tracks for six of the Abbott & Costello Features, I've so far spotted one instance in which a different print was used for digital transfer, specifically the closing scene for BUCK PRIVATES.

From THE BEST OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO, Volume 1 (2004)
dvd_snapshot_01.23.40_2014.12.06_10.24.10.jpg

That Superimposed "Re-Released By Realart Pictures" Watermark does really detract from the final gag! Also note the Letter-boxing! Previous Home Video releases also included this offending Watermark!

From ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION (2008; 2014)
dvd_snapshot_01.23.43_2014.12.06_12.25.54.jpg

Just how this amusing gag was meant to appear!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Posters on other threads (including me) have asked for more A & C on blu-ray. I assume that the ones issued so far have sold poorly. An A & C Monsters blu-ray sub-set might have been a better proposition with more realistic pricing than the individual titles.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Keith Cobby said:
Posters on other threads (including me) have asked for more A & C on blu-ray. I assume that the ones issued so far have sold poorly. An A & C Monsters blu-ray sub-set might have been a better proposition with more realistic pricing than the individual titles.
Hi Keith!

I'd say that Amazon's Sales Rankings for the two Abbott & Costello Universal Blu-Ray titles (#9,647 for "Meet Frankenstein;" vs. #38,828 for "Buck Privates.") rather support your argument for an Abbott & Costello Monsters sub-set!

My opinion regarding the entire Abbott & Costello Universal Film Library seeing Blu-Ray issue is that it is very unlikely, due to the following:
- Having already reissued all of their Films, Universal seems reluctant to spend anymore on further upgrades. Assuming that they didn't already do HD scans for the 2008 DVD Set (It is my assumption that they didn't.), I would imagine the cost of doing this for 26 Films wouldn't be cheap! Also, like the Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, released in 2012 (Which includes all 190 Columbia Shorts on the eight Volumes issued by Sony from 2007 to 2010, plus many other goodies!), I think that the Abbott & Costello Universals are blessed/cursed with already looking rather good in their existing DVD Format, which may also be feeding into any reluctance toward bettering these, if that makes any sense!

Tony

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Keith Cobby said:
No, it's that Universal owns most of the "classic" catalog (leaving aside the indies and MGM's)--
And since Universal hates vintage catalog, they're in the mainstream's idea that the only A&C's they've ever heard of are Buck Privates, Naughty Nineties (with Who's on First), and the Monsters.
Now, if only we could get Nineties, that would be something.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ejanss said:
No, it's that Universal owns most of the "classic" catalog (leaving aside the indies and MGM's)--
And since Universal hates vintage catalog, they're in the mainstream's idea that the only A&C's they've ever heard of are Buck Privates, Naughty Nineties (with Who's on First), and the Monsters.
Now, if only we could get Nineties, that would be something.
Hi Ejanss!

While there may be some of that mentality at play, I think if that were completely true, we never would have even seen the prior Abbott & Costello DVD Collections get issued!

With that said, a case could certainly be made for a Blu-Ray issue of THE NAUGHTY NINETIES, though I don't see Universal going beyond the two existing ABBOTT & COSTELLO Blu-Ray titles. Of course, it would be nice to be wrong in this case!

In my opinion, should Universal ever decide to prepare more of their A&C Films for Blu-Ray, they might just as well do all of them!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was surprised to find that the Three Stooges Blu-Ray catalog is even bleaker than Abbott & Costello's! Their only Blu-Ray release to date actually consists of 4 shorts (The ones that are normally found on Public Domain discs!), ALL "Gloriously" Colorized AND in 3D!

91qwVW1T8cL._SL1500_.jpg

YEECH!!!!

For Stoogephiles, I recommend this instead:
71y8tKWC5gL._SL1500_ (1).jpg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t/191-0835300-7851216
This 20 DVD Set is currently priced at $29.99! Without even counting the 3 discs of Bonus material, that's less than 16 cents per short!

By the way, this massive set also features two shorts (SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE, both from 1953.) that really were filmed in 3D (2 pairs of Anaglyph 3D glasses are also included!)! For Non-3D fans, the 2D versions are also included.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
That Ultimate Stooges set at that price is a bargain and if you can still get it, do so!
Hi Richard!

Believe it or not, I picked up this same set near the start of this year for even less! It was priced at $27.49 on Canadian Amazon--A no brainer decision for me at that price!

Tony

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Tony Bensley said:
From what I found searching online, it was a company called Nostalgia Family Video (Established 1999) that issued IT AIN'T HAY on VHS. In Film Preservationist David Shepard's own words, they are "Major Pirates." Just the fact that this Cassette wasn't issued by Universal should be a Red Flag, in any case! Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that Nostalgia Family Video wasn't sued into the Stone Age over this!
They may have been sued--the company seems to have disappeared within the last couple of years.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
They sure had good reason to sue, along with It Ain’t Hay and Buck Privates Come Home; Nostalgia Family Video sold many other titles from the Universal library like W.C. Fields, Ritz Brothers, and Olsen & Johnson. They even sold boots of the European Laurel and Hardy releases.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My favorite period for A & C is 41-45 with 41-43 being the top tier. I agree with an assessment in that book Bob pointed out. "Much of the little boy in Lou Costello seemed to die after 1943 when his son died in real life."
Of the 1941-43 films I agree that It Ain't Hay is the weakest although still preferable to their 1950's films.
While I love all their films I've always found the Meet the Monsters series a bit overrated.
Tony Bensley said:

I gave this one a fresh viewing yesterday afternoon, my first proper viewing of it in three decades! While still a lot of fun (And is certainly no turkey!), I find myself agreeing with others that IT AIN'T HAY is a bit weak in comparison with the other Universal Features from Abbott & Costello's 1941-1943 period. I attribute this primarily to the fact that the Damon Runyan story wasn't made for Bud & Lou to begin with! The print transfer on the A&C Complete Universal Pictures Collection is, in my opinion, pretty top notch!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
My favorite period for A & C is 41-45 with 41-43 being the top tier. I agree with an assessment in that book Bob pointed out. "Much of the little boy in Lou Costello seemed to die after 1943 when his son died in real life."
Of the 1941-43 films I agree that It Ain't Hay is the weakest although still preferable to their 1950's films.
While I love all their films I've always found the Meet the Monsters series a bit overrated.
Hi Randy!

I basically agree with everything that you have stated above! Regarding their "Meet The Monsters" films, ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN from 1951 is in my opinion, the only other title besides their iconic ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN from 1948 that can really be considered above average A&C Fare, and was also probably their last near exceptional outing. I also believe it was no accident that Universal cancelled their contracts after the sub-par "Meet The Mummy" entry from 1955!

In my view, besides Lou Costello's loss of his only son, his repeated bouts of rheumatic fever was also a huge factor in ultimately cutting short what had been a brilliant career! If memory serves, I believe that he suffered four of these, the first one beginning near the end of 1942, which coincided with the end of their initial peak film making period; and the last before the final two A&C Universal Features, which no doubt, contributed to the (probably) inevitable weariness that accompanies these!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks