The _Moulin Rouge_ disc: better late than never.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Talk about being late for the party, but I screened Moulin Rouge for the first time this Saturday. It took me an hour to find my jaw after it dropped. This disc rocks.

I went into it with an open mind but not expecting all that much. Well, I got "that much" and then some. This DVD set is what it's all about, an all-too-rare phenomenon where everything comes together perfectly: excellent film, stunning, reference-quality transfer, and an awesome surround-sound experience.

What a dazzling experience.

Is there a better transfer around? There must be, for Widescreen Review gives this disc a 4.5 rating for video quality. On my WEGA, however, the image just pops off the screen with vivid, well-saturated colors minus any noticeable shimmering. If edge enhancement is an issue, my WEGA cannot resolve it. This was truly like watching film. It just doesn't get any better than this, in my experience.

And, oh yeah: The film was magnificent. Nice to have a reference disc with a reference-level film that is not only eye candy but has some substance underlying the phantasmagoric froth.

It's a DVD like this that serves to remind me why I got into the home-theater thing to begin with.

And I haven't even begun to look at the extras on the second disc yet!

Now I see why this thing got voted "DVD of the Year" here at HTF. I'm a believer, baby.

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Great disc indeed, I own it to (watched the movie in the theater too BTW), but I must honestly say that I liked Romeo + Juliet better - I mean the film itself. Can't wait for that S.E. disc to arrive. Oops, going off topic...[​IMG]

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Nice review, Johny-Come-Lately [​IMG]

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

You're not alone in your enthusiasm for this film. The Producers Guild of America just picked MR as their best film of the year. A pretty respected bunch, as their picks have reflected those of the Academy 9 out of 12 times.

I entered this film anticipating a disaster. I left, wholly impressed and entertained. I also watched this flim on my WEGA - the picture was stunning, so much so that I was able to put aside my envy for a HD monitor (temporarily).

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Jack,
    Too bad you didn't listen to Patrick and me when we encouraged you to see this wonderful film in the theater back when it opened (don't search the archive here -- it was over at "the other place").
    To quote Bruce Willis in another Fox release, "Welcome to the party, pal!" [​IMG]
    Rob

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I do not share in the enthusiasm for the film itself, but I have seen the DVD and in addition to the stellar A/V quality, Fox has included just about every type of extra one could hope for whatever level of interest one may have in the film. It ranges from the EPK-type "Baz is so wonderful"/"[actor] was a joy to work with" fluff to the nitty gritty making of stuff that enthusiasts crave. It is amazing that they can pull something so comprehensive together for such a recent release, but Fox does it consistently.

Regards,

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Gets my vote for best movie and dvd of 2001.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Definately an amazing film. I've loaned it to three people now who looked at me like I was crazy when I told them how good it was. All three had to go out and buy the discs and the soundtrack by the time it was over with.

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Jack, it's sad to think that you have a rep for not getting your ass to the theater once in awhile. [​IMG] (this is the scuttlebutt that goes on behind your back [​IMG])
    I know it sucks most of the time, but for some films it's worth it. A 2001 fan should know that most of all. [​IMG] DVDs nice, film better.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm with Ron-P all the way, it's the best film I saw last year, I LOVE MOULIN ROUGE!

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Yes, the DVD presentation is top notch!
    The movie, however, is another matter! I felt like I was hit upside the head with a sledgehammer after watching this movie! I did not like the hyper-active editing. I also found the story itself to be very dull.
    This wasn't a movie that I felt was "so so", or "just ok"...I pretty much hated it!
    [​IMG]

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That didn't take long.

M.

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Jack,
    Yeah-Baby!
    If I had to do it all over again, I'd
    still vote Moulin Rouge the best
    disc of the year 2001.
    Fox did an outstanding job with this DVD.

14. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

The DVD itself is fantastic, but the film is a bit too post-modern at times.

15. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Maybe that means you're getting old [​IMG]

16. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

17. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Roger,

Peter Staddon from Fox reads this forum

on a regular basis.

If he doesn't wish to respond, there is

nothing I can do about it.

18. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

You could call a spade a spade. Many studios release DVD's without technical glitches. Fox screwed up on Moulin Rouge. The worst thing is they won't even admit it.

19. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I wouldn't quite go so far as to call anyone a SPADE...Peter's been good about getting us info, and treating us decently. As for the glitch, I haven't detected it, but I haven't looked for it either.
    Back to the film...WOW! I managed to catch the end of AMC's Backstory: Moulin Rouge last night. Not a bad show. The only new stuff I saw was the tearing down of the sets by the NEXT film to use the studio[​IMG] No names, but Ewan wasn't very happy. Neat show...I'll check it out again. It got me hankering to watch the movie again ASAP.
    Glad you enjoyed it, Jack. It really is pretty special[​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

20. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I'm not calling ANYONE a SPADE. Ron said Fox did an outstanding job with this DVD. "Outstanding" ought to be reserved for glitch-free DVD's.

Good customer service means you deal effectively with the good AND the bad news.