The 7th Voyage of Sinbad- AR

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottR, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I know this was filmed in full frame, but was it ever intended to be shown that way, or is the AR on the dvd the way it was shown in 1958?

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Good question. I have always been miffed that Columbia released THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER in 1.33:1, but that wouldn't bother me if the film was open matte (it would be nice if the case identified the intended AR). What bothers me about that DVD, and the 7th Voyage DVD, is that the quality just pretty well sucks - faded color, poor contrast, etc. Harryhausen deserves better, as he contributed a shitload of money to the Columbia coffers.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Ray Harryhausen told me it was shot in the same way as the majority of non-anamorphic films are, filmed full-frame yet composed for aspect ratios from 1:66 ~ 1.85. The full frame version does show more image top & bottom, but the film looks better with a slightly tighter framing to 1.66/1.85.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Thanks, Peter!

5. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

6. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    The one actual improvement I noticed with the DVD was a correction of the color fluctuations during the battle between the dragon and the cyclops. This was not a problem on the Super 8mm Columbia Home Movie reels; but it showed up in the first and all subsequent vhs and laser releases. The dragon's skin changes back and forth between a mossy blue and truer green. Very distracting. And while the DVD seems to have stabelized he color, they have also stabelized it poorly - this is not what Technicolor is meant to look like. Very disappointing for what, even in the era of LORD OF THE RINGS, remains my favorite fantasy film, the result of indelible childhood memories. I caught it in White Plains and in New York City in 1958, and both times it was paired with some unfunny "comedy" about flying suacers that turned out to be a hoax or something, and I've never been able to remember what it was. Anyone? Sorry, a bit off the topic.

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned
    BANNED

Richard W
    I'm watching 7th Voyage of Sinbad on Turner Classic Movies right this very minute. Letterboxed at 1.85 with nicely balanced compositions. Doesn't appear to be any top and bottom information missing, not to close and not to distant. Good color and contrast. Sometimes the stop-motion color-timing doesn't quite match the live actor interaction / intercutting, but the truth is, it never did. I don't have the DVD, but this broadcast is the best I've ever seen the film look.

8. Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel Stunt Coordinator

Dick, you actually remember seeing it back in 1958. Wow. I'm pretty sure I saw it back then, probably at the Burke Theater (conveniently located at Burke Ave.) or the Allerton Theater (conveniently located on Allerton Ave.), but I don't remember the event and I certainly don't remember the second feature. You've got one damn good memory. To get this back on topic, I don't remember the AR in which the 7th Voyage of Sinbad was displayed at whatever theater I saw it. But you guys got me going, I'm buying the DVD.