What's new

The 6th of June: D-Day & "The Longest Day" DVD (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I talked to director Ken Annakin this morning and asked him if he had heard anything about Fox redoing The Longest Day DVD. He said he had not.

But he added: "I did a previous [newspaper] interview for the one that's out. But I think there's a whole lot more that could be told about that movie."

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
The R2 does not have an interview with Ken Annakin as an extra. The only extra, apart from some trailers, is the documentary "D-Day Revisited" which was made in 1969 and features Zanuck visiting the actual D-Day Normandy locations.

It appears that a new DVD is coming in Europe though ... Fox Germany is releasing the colorized version on May 8 according to Amazon.de :eek:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Thanks, Danny. Its clear to me now that he meant an interview with another reporter, not for a DVD extra. I have edited my post to reflect that.

Terry H

Second Unit
I've held off buying this for years expecting at least an upgrade to an anamorphic transfer. I'd definately buy it.

Count me in! A special edition is only natural for this film. But please ... leave the Ted Turnerization version for VHS.:)

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Holland is getting a 60th Anniversary Edition on May 26. See here for a small picture of the artwork: http://www.dvd-home.nl/nieuws/nieuws.htm#20
I hope it has a new transfer (the current R2, despite it being anamorpic, doesn't look much better than the R1) and some nice extras.
But since there are no details on specs and extras yet of this new edition, it could just as well be a repackaging of the existing R2 2-disc set.

I actually can't believe that Fox is not taking advantage of the 60th anniversary of D-Day to upgrade this title on R1. A missed opportunity.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It looks like SOMEBODY was listening to me. :D:D If a R1 version of this is announced soon, I'll buy it, otherwise I'll get this R2 version. :D

The Japan version says its in color - now I'm an OAR freak but I must admit that I'd prefer color over the b&w version.
Paul

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The Japan version says its in color - now I'm an OAR freak but I must admit that I'd prefer color over the b&w version
HORRORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frowning::frowning::frowning: To me colorization is a worse mutilation of a film than the wrong aspect ratio.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
that is just shocking that someone would purchase color over B&W, especially when you consider that B&W is the original

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks