What's new

The 6th of June: D-Day & "The Longest Day" DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm posting this here this year because it received very little attention last year in the proper area.

Mr. Staddon, in two years it will be the 60th anniversary of D-Day. I VERY strongly believe that The Longest Day deserves a massive & very special "Special Edition" release at that time! A couple of days ago on the History Channel, I saw a snippet of a documentary about the film & D-Day with Mr. Darryl Francis Zanuck. This SE should include this documentary plus many more! I realize that Fox has just re-issued the film, but I consider the 60th anniversary of D-Day to be a special exception. The Longest Day is by far the BEST film about what is probably the most important 24 hours of the first half of the 20th century, if not all of the 20th century! Please prevail upon your corporation to do the film & the soldiers who died on D-Day the honor that they deserve.
Well the 60th anniversary of D-Day is now 1 year away. I am repeating the request I made above again. Please Fox re-release "The Longest Day". It deserves a massive & very special "Special Edition" release next June.

Oleg

Auditioning
Third. This is a classic film that deserves all preservation and extras it can get.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Add me to the list, we owe so much to those who made the supreme sacrifice. The younger generations need to know just how important this endeavor was.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, for this 60th Anniversary Edition I'd like a 3-disc version. Disc 1 with the original B&W version, Disc 2 with the colorized version that originally came out on VHS back for the 50th Anniversary, and Disc 3 with the Extras.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave,
We don't talk about colorized versions on this forum which is no different in our minds than not perserving the OAR of a film.

Crawdaddy

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Ken Annakin, one of the co-directors of The Longest Day and recent recipient of the Order of the British Empire, is approaching 89. He is the only one of the movie's four directors who is still with us. Now would be the time to ask him to record a commentary track for a special edition. He recently revisited his long career in an autobiography, so it all should come back to him easily.

(Ironically, his daughter is a rep with the PR firm that promotes Fox Home Video.)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A good suggestion Randy! Now if only Fox would be of the same mind set. I'm crossing my fingers & hoping. I'll take a SE in any Region.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
In addition to the Zanuck documentary (which i think is on the R2 version) I would also like to see the AMC Backstory included.

Runar_R

Second Unit
:)
I actually sat down and re-watched "The longest day" on june 6th.
I have the R2-edition, and it does have the Zanuck documentary. It's nice to have seen it, but it isn't really that substantial. I would have LOVED a good commentary track though

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
For those who can't wait, the 2-disc anamorphic R2 edition (with the 'D Day Revisited' documentary on disc 2) is heartily recommended. But I would love to see a true SE of this classic in time for the 60th Anniversary.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would also like to see and SE of this great movie. But also agree that the colorized version should never be shown again and most of all, not included in a DVD.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Count me in for an SE of this title. Don't really care to see the colorized version ever again though.

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
I'd get an SE of this movie in a heartbeat. Especially if it were anamorphic. And even more so if it didn't have the colorized version. :)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well unless Fox has already started on a SE, they had better get cracking if we're to see it by next June 6th.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well since Universal is going to release "Saving Private Ryan - D-Day 60th Anniversary Edition", I sincerely hope that Fox will re-release this in a D-Day 60th Anniversary Edition. After all it has a built-in hook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks