What's new

the 5th Bitsy awards are here (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I don't think we'll see any Star Wars or Indy on HD-DVD until well into HD-DVDs life. Both Lucas and Spielberg seemed resistant to putting their work on DVD until it had a suitable install base. I don't think HD-DVD will take off at anything close to the speed DVD did so I think it could be a long wait. I won't be surprised if we don't see SW and Indy on HD until 2010 or so.

Now, I will be surprised if we don't see some kind of DVD re-release of those movies in the interim. SW likely in 2007 for its 30th anniversary and Indy if and when Indy IV makes it way to DVD (late 2006 at the earliest now). Of course the same double standard will apply- we won't fault Fox for re-releasing a new super edition of the Alien movies four years after their last super edition boxset but we will fault Lucas for doing so.

Bill Hunt

Insider

The difference is time frame, Kevin. The first editions of Alien and Aliens were true special editions - in fact some of the first really good special editions on the DVD format - and they were released in 1999, less than 3 years into the format's life. Here we are more than 7 years in now, and we're just now finally getting basically movie-only releases of the Indy films? I have no doubt the Star Wars DVDs will have more extras, but they still won't come close to some of the better SEs being done today. If these discs had come out in 1999 too, it wouldn't be an issue. But Lucas has deliberately waited to release these discs until now to increase demand. Unfortunately, he's also increased our expectations.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
But do we hold every release to these expectations? It seemed like you gave Once Upon a Time in the West DVD of the year in part because your expectations were so low. To cite part of the reason for the disappointment because of good intel on upcoming editions when there is no solid release date for these editions and likely won't appear for three more years at the soonest seems pretty weak. This is hardly Universal or Columbia double dipping with an Ultimate Edition or Superbit Deluxe.

The Indy movies are hardly "movie only" when there is up to 3 hours of good quality, non-EPK type supplements.

Is Schindler's List going to get slammed for not having extensive supplements? Its arguably one of the most important movies ever made yet we aren't getting any real glimpse of the process of making the film. If there was never any intention of crafting a super special edition of Schindler's List should it not also be criticized for making us wait for seven years for an essentially "movie only" edition?

With this rationale, every single "important" film that comes to DVD at this point in its lifespan should be criticised if it doesn't approach the quality of a LOTR or Quadrilogy set.

Not really trying to give you guys a hard time. I've been a loyal reader of the site since 1998 but I do feel like you guys have had a real bone to pick with Lucasfilm for the past several years that comes through everytime you write about Indy or Star Wars. I honestly don't think a Lucasfilm product (even if Indy is technically Paramount's) can get a fair shake from the Bits.

Bill Hunt

Insider
If you don't think Lucasfilm DVDs can get a fair shake from us, you should go back and read my Episode I disc review. That's not it at all - you're reading too much into this.

Our point is that special films deserve special treatment on disc. Period. Is every film going to get it? No. And yes, I do think Schindler deserves better treatment to address the historical context, etc. It's an important film. Consider it this way - doesn't Raiders of the Lost Ark deserve the same quality of special edition treatment on DVD as Episode I and II, both of which got 2-disc sets loaded with interesting bonus material? You certainly can't tell me that Lucas and Spielberg didn't have the money to hire the best SE producers out there to give it their all. I know any number of great producers who would have loved to go nuts on those films and create multi-disc editions for each one. It was a very conscious decision by Lucasfilm - give fans a little bit now, and then we'll come back in a few years and give them a lot more. That's what we object to.

By the way, I think it's well worth pointing out here that we praised Indy in the Bitsys and we gave it very favorable comments in our review of the set. But it's also important to point out that the set could and should have been better.

One thing I know for sure. If all we did was say positive things about Indy and Star Wars and Alien, people would be criticizing us for being too positive and having lost our objectivity. The reason we try to point out both the good and the bad with Lucasfilm and MANY other studios, is that they listen to us. They take what we say seriously. So we have a responsibility to our readers, particularly in this time when the studios are dumbing this format down more all the time, to try to encourage them to do better.

With the case of Once Upon a Time in the West, the film deserved the best treatement, but believe me the odds were definitely not in favor of it. So we pushed and pushed and pushed behind the scenes for that disc to get special edition treatment. What happened? Paramount came through with a great disc, and they deserve to be recognized for it. It's a simple as that.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Bill I have read your site for a long time. I read your news with eager anticipation. I love to hear what you guys think and like/hate about a movie.

Keep up the fantastic work at the bits. I'll keep reading. Although, after all this time I still haven't won a contest:frowning:

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Then how come you were so full of praise for Blackhawk Down SE? It was a double dip in a much shorter time span than the Indy and SW DVDs will be. Why couldn't they have put forth all of that effort for the initial release? Sure, we all suspected a new special edition down the road but unlike the LOTR EE's, it wasn't announced prior to the barebones edition's release.

If you object to the the "give fans a little now and come back for more later" then you should be equally harsh with all double dips (including the forthcoming Spiderman SE).

I've said my peace and don't mean any ill will. I do think you are unfairly holding the SW and Indy sets to a higher standard than everything else. I just found it particularly galling in Indy's case because the single most important facet of the DVDs- audio and visuals- was so excellent yet people still harp on about how disappointing the set was.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Thanks much, Scott!

Kevin, in the case of Black Hawk Down, the studio made it known up front that they were going to be doing a new SE in a few months when they announced the original disc. The only reason for the delay in the SE was the time needed to produce the extras - it was all up front.

It does seem that you take the Indy and Star Wars comments a little too personaly. But I understand - we all have our favorite titles. In any case, we appreaciate your thoughts. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks