What's new

The 54th Annual Emmy Awards (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I agree that "Band of brothers" won partly for political correctness, but most of all I think it won because it was logistically and artistically a tremendous challenge, that HBO managed to live up to.
As for "The West Wing", I'm sure it's a good show (I think all of the shows nominated are good), I just can not stand it... :)
/Mike

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
As I understand it, the shows are judged on only one episode that they submit.

~T

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Well...just another award show that will not find me watching next year.

Not only does it make me sick to watch Oprah give a speech (I know that she has done a lot throughout her career in television and let's everyone know it very often, put this year, I really fail to have seen a need for presenters. In the past, the presenters have always named the catagory people and announced the winners. To have them come out and talk for 30 seconds while a prepared tape ran naming the folks. Basically, the presenters were there for air time and that was it.

As far as the winners and who they were...more celebrity ass kissing.

It is angering that a show of the quality of Six Feet Under is overlooked.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I wonder has The Sopranos won for Best Dramatic Series?
Given what I've seen so far if they keep it up for the entire 13-episode run I think it stands a very good chance of winning next year. The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences really need to be more accommodating of shows that cater to niche audiences like The Sopranos and Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. I don't want Joss Whedon to end up winning an Emmy as a Lifetime Achievement Award for his work on Buffy instead of an actual Best Dramatic Series award. :frowning:

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Band of Brothers won because there was no other competition (and because it was VERY good tv). Dinotopia? Mysts of Avelon? Dumb and Dumb. The only reasons they were nominated was because of the lack of choices.

I don't think Sex in the City is funny at all. And I only get mild chuckles out of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Six Feet Under is ok, but I find it rather boring. I've seen it a few times and it has yet to draw me in where I think that I must see it.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Buffy the Vampire Slayer???

While I enjoy the show from time to time it hardly can be considered the best drama on TV.

I was a little surprised that Six Feet Under did not win best drama simply because it was nominated for so many awards.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Buffy the Vampire Slayer???

While I enjoy the show from time to time it hardly can be considered the best drama on TV.
I think that the point some in this thread have been trying to make is that ‘Buffy’ has never been even nominated once (other than (if I recall) for a couple of technical (such as makeup) areas).
Let’s do the numbers:
five years (available for nomoniations)
six awards (best actress, supporting actor (at least two choices each year), supporting actress (again at least tow choices each year), best writing, best direction, best drama)
six nomoniations in each category, equals
180 chances for ‘Buffy’ to get at least token recognition.
Surely this show is a good enough production to have been nominated at least once for acting, or writing, or something over the years. The complete disregard of this (and similar) shows by the Emmys tells me all I need to know.

My roomate and I flipped to the show on and off between the Sopranos and Sunday Night Football. We talked at little about how "Six Feet Under" was going to get nothing because the wussy Emmy, read Network, voters don't want to admit HBO is killing them on show quality.

Funny moment:
When "West Wing" was given the best drama award my roomate started yelling "Homers!" to the voters.

Scott

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
What's lame about the Emmy's is they base their judgements on only ONE EPISODE!! Each potential nominee submits one episode of their choosing and they are evaluated based on this one episode. If you remember, a few years ago Tim Allen missed the deadline and forgot to submit an episode for Home Improvement and wasn't even nominated due to his error.

Every series has its great, good, and less than stellar episodes. It's tough to judge a whole year of television based on one episode. Even worse, to judge one actor based on just one episode is a bit much. At a minimum, three episodes should be considered.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
we ended up with essentially, a re-run of last years Emmy's with the same old stale stuff walking away with the Emmy that they did not deserve. It's really pathetic IMO.
I thought this year's Emmy winners and last year's were more different than any other two consecutive years I can remember.

~T

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
One episode!? Well, in that case, this awards show is even more insipid than even I gave it credit for! :rolleyes
Patrick,
regarding 'Buffy', that's not just me talking, but just about every major tv critic in the nation. My point was that it, like The West Wing, is a critically acclaimed show that always gets high marks for it's quality, so where is it's Emmy?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What's lame about the Emmy's is they base their judgements on only ONE EPISODE!! Each potential nominee submits one episode of their choosing and they are evaluated based on this one episode.
Just a clarification Justin, but I thought that the series was judged on the season and that it was individual episodes that were used for writing and directing. At least that makes sense, as different shows are written by different writers and directed by different directors. In fact, in these categories, I seem to remember times when one series would have more than one episode in contention (for example two sets of writers for different episodes.

If its only one show for the season, I am with John all the way.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I missed the Emmy's, mostly 'cause I don't care much for award shows these days, outside of any skits they may put on.
I did however hear some rumblings from people in the office today concerning what Oprah had said... I've been to busy today to hobnob with my coworkers, to get the details though. What did she blab about?
Award shows are a dime a dozen these days, and the signify little if anything to me. In fact, why don't we create our own virtual award show. We can call it the HTFies, and hand out virtual awards to the winners. Maybe send them a coupon for one free Netflix rental, or something like that. ;)
Moe.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I believe they have their own category, and I'm pretty sure the Simpsons won.
Actually Futurama won it this year which I hope will give some new life. Though Fox could probably care less.

Also Family Guy got an Emmy for Outstanding Music And Lyrics for the theme song. It is ashame it got cancelled.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I can't believe The Daily Show was totally shut out this year....
....STING!!?? Sting beat The Daily Show for best variety show? What "Variety" was in Sting's show exactly? It was a frigging concert taping, no variety apart from singing and playing instruments.
Bahhh! :rolleyes:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks