The 54th Annual Emmy Awards

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VicRuiz, Sep 22, 2002.

1. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

The opening skit with Conan and the Osbournes was really funny. Good start.....

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

It's been a pretty good show so far. Looks like it will clock in at 3:30, which is pretty amazing considering they cut out basically all the fluff.

I can't comment much on the winners because I've really fallen out of my television viewing habits. But every winner seems to be pretty well received. And my favorite miniseries, Band of Brothers, got much deserved recognition.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Dangit! Missed it, they don't re-run these do they? [​IMG] If not did anyone record it? (I'm a big Conan fan)

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    All I need to know is whether Friends took home top honors. It did, and so my signature gets an upgrade.

5. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Can't believe Curb Your Enthusiasm didn't win. I TiVo'd it and I'll see if I can encode the Conan/Osbournes thing which was really the only redeeming part of the show.

Edit: Deleted it from TiVo without thinking, sorry folks.

6. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

I thought the Conan/Andy brawl in the aisle was damn funny. Best part was Andy yelling for Jon Stewart's help.

7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

In a Soprano less year...Six Feet Under gets the shaft.

GRRRRRR

8. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Maybe I am on some different wave-length, but I found Conan to be most unfunny (heck, even poor Ozzy upstaged him in the car). With the unfortunate hosting choice and the early shafting of Alias' Victor Garber, I switched if off after a half-hour. (I knew as soon as Victor lost, Jennifer didn't have a chance... Allison Janney? Gifted, but I don't think so)

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    'Freinds' beat out 'Curb your Enthusiasm'!?!? [​IMG]
    Yeah, whatever. [​IMG]
    But i'm thrilled that 'Band of Brothers' got some nods.

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I've never watched more than 5 minutes at a time of "The West Wing" because of the ridiculous lighting on the show (apparently the White House is saving on electricity these days, why else would all the offices be in almost complete darkness all the time?) and because of the idiotic dialogue, which not only manages to sound totally scripted but also to come across as extremely preachy, so I can't for my life understand why this show won over the excellent and unpredictable "Six Feet Under"...

Nice to see "Band of Brothers" get recognized, even though I admit I hadn't seen many of the other nominees in its categories.

Conan did a great job IMO, funny but never too silly or self-congratulatory.

I loved Oprah's speech, she really deserved that award.

Good show, all in all, would have been even better if "Curb your enthusiasm" had won... it was IMO by far the best comedy show of the year.

11. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    It's not your opinion Micke, 'CyE' WAS the funniest show of the year! That's what makes it so sad.

12. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

'Friends' is not even in the same universe as 'Curb'.
    [​IMG]
    Did Seinfeld ever win Emmy's as a show (ie 'Outstanding Comedy Series')

13. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

14. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I was mad that Keifer didnt win for best actor but Chicklis is also another of my favorites so wasnt so bad. But even though I wanted 24 to win best drama, i knew Six Feet Under would win. How the hell did they pick West Wing over the other two? I give up on award shows

capt

15. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Joey,
    that's easy, they picked The West Wing simply because it sweeps every year and the Emmy's are too afraid to give it to something fresh and risky. They play it safe and give it to the shows that THEY like and/or one's that won't hurt their precious reputation.
    They have no balls, look at Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a show that excells in every aspect of it's production from writing, production design, direction, and acting, but it's never won, nor even been nominated for an Emmy simply because they don't want to give an Emmy to, or even recognize a show with such a, to them, silly title for fear of embarrassment in the industry.
    So the result, they give it to the same safe, steril, and lifeless drivel they gave it to last year. The only reason Band of Brothers won is because that show was so epic and gargantuan that they were forced to recognize it.
    Production value, writing, direction, acting, not of that matters to them. But if your on a show that is popular with the mainstream, and stars a bunch of overpaid cry babies that threaten to strike if they don't get another million or two per episode, well then your a shoe in to win! [​IMG]
    It's a popularity contest that I refuse to play.
    In a year full of such new entertainment as Curb Your Enthusiasm, 24, and Six Feet Under, we ended up with essentially, a re-run of last years Emmy's with the same old stale stuff walking away with the Emmy that they did not deserve. It's really pathetic IMO.

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

17. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

IMO, the funniest awards show host ever and I only get to watch Conan about twice a year.

18. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Two great hosts in a row: Ellen DeGeneres last year, Conan O'Brien this year.

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I didnt see the show, there was too much on last night-was flipping between 3 shows.
    But I did catch some of the beginning. I wish I seen The Osbournes skit(Since I LOVE Ozzy), but the Conan and Gary on the horse thing gave me a good laugh.

20. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

It's a network television love-in, hence the bias against cable programming. Cable shows are thrown a token bone from time to time, with very few major awards.

The Golden Globes seem to be a better indicator of what's good on TV than the loaded, politicized Emmys.

I've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm, but Friends over even Sex & the City?

On the other hand, The West Wing is a terrific show, much better than the comments in this thread would indicate.

Also, I hate to burst bubbles here, but Band of Brothers won for the same reasons everything else won. It isn't exactly edgy programming either. It's a safe topic (what's safer these days than a miniseries which celebrates patriotism?), and it had incredible industry muscle to back it up.