What's new

The 5-Year Engagement - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think this film gets off to a somewhat funny start with its cast (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt, Alison Brie, Chris Pratt), but along the way, the film's running time feels like 5 years, and it just went on and on, and the middle section of the film really sags. Segal's writing buddy, Nicholas Stoller directed this film, and his direction is nothing special, but he really gets up close at times, so close you could see the peach fuzz on Emily Blunt's face in one scene due to the lighting and angle of her face. There are bits of comedy that work, but it gets dragged down by many of the other scenes that languish on the screen, and bored this viewer.
I give it 2.5 star, or a grade of C+.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I enjoyed it, except for the third act, which I think went WAY too by the numbers and just didn't work for me. C+

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think I saw the trailer for this movie but other than that, I haven't seen any marketing for it and the movie was more serious than I had expected it to be (not that that's inherently a bad thing but it was a surprise). Jason Segel and Emily Blunt were good but Chris Pratt and Alison Brie stole the movie (to the point that I wish the movie had been about their characters). Overall, there's some funny stuff and I enjoyed it but like others, I thought it was too long.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this Friday and thought it was AWFUL. Far too long, far too contrived, far too one-dimensional, far too lacking in nuance and realism.

I've never come as close to walking out on a movie - if I'd not been there with a friend, I would've. Unrelentingly stupid and charmless - and given that I like most of the people who're in it, that's a real accomplishment.

I'd give it an "F" - terrible, pointless movie...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks