The $499 Grudge Match: PS3 vs the A2 (DING!)

[email protected]

Screenwriter
I haven't actually bought anything yet, so...

A2 Pro:
- should be widely available for the holidays (?)
- very good DVD upconversion
- expected to be a very reliable unit
- three free movies!
- software is cheaper on average (?)
- comes with a remote
- free HDMI cable

A2 Con:
- only 1080i output
- only HDMI 1.2
- free movies aren't exactly new titles...
- unit doesn't do much besides play movies
- faster playback than A1, but not as fast as PS3 (?)
- future somewhat unclear for the HD DVD format

================================================== ====

PS3 Pro:
- Blu-ray player for half the price....
- One free movie! And it's a new release!
- 1080p Output
- HDMI 1.3
- does other things besides play movies
- relatively safe purchase (Blu-ray format will most likely continue)

PS3 Con:
- good luck finding one...
- will not upconvert DVDs (why, oh why???)
- some concerns that the unit may be unstable (heat, disc errors, breakdowns)
- software more expensive on average (?)
- may not be the best Blu-ray player
- must purchase player remote
- must purchase an HDMI cable

Please add other factors, like sound decoding.

James St

Supporting Actor

It's a single layer theatrical cut of Talladega Nights with no extras and only for the first 500K systems. The unrated BD50 release is coming out in December.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
We won't really know anything until a home theater enthusiest gets his hands on the PS3. The A2 can pretty much be understood by anyone that owns/owned an A1. Both units lack analog output. 1080p with HDMI 1.3? Even if the video output is top notch it could be held back by user interface issues. Just too many unknowns, reliability being one of them, to form an opinion until someone owns one for a bit.

[email protected]

Screenwriter
That's disappointing...

It sounds like PS3 owners are basically getting a 'screener'; it probably won't even be in a bar-coded case (to prevent resale).

I was excited about getting an actual Blu-ray product at launch, not some stripped-down BR demo.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

A few thoughts I think you may have missed.

The Toshiba has a proven (albeit not long) track record of being able to delivery top notch quality. There is little doubt that the 2nd gen players will be any different.

Currently, only the Panasonic BD player seems to have the hardware and playback quality up to par (at 1300.00)

Looking at the PS3, even adding in the reported dollars Sony is covering with each system, the actual retail is still well below, by hundreds of dollars, Sony's on stand alone system. It begs the question; what short cuts has Sony made to keep the PS3 costs down. Sense the single most expensive part in the PS3 is the BD drive, it would seem that the BD drive would be the most logical place to cut corners.

It seems to me that it will equate in a lesser quality player, or Sony and the other BD manufacturers have been screwing the consumer with the price of the stand alone players. I can not see how it can be anything else, but I guess I could be wrong.

Of course, if the PS3 fails as a quality player, at least you will have a next gen gamming console.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you are not a gamer ... you might still be forced to buy two games that you don't want ... equating to more money spent. Buying a remote will add more dollars ... as will the hdmi cable. Not everyone knows about monoprice ... so many will pay perhaps another $50+ for monster type cabling.

Before you know it ... a $600 unit now costs closer to $850 ... inching closer to where the stand alones are.

Regards

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Why is the future any "clearer" for Blu-ray than it is HD-DVD? I honestly don't believe one format is any "safer" than the other at this stage in the game.

Also, I would not consider three free movies a "con." Old or otherwise.

-Reg

MarekM

Supporting Actor

could you please show me those $250 you added to $600 ? cables ? remote ?
and why to buy $600 unit, if it's ok with $499 for watching movies.... can you explaing that ?

you are adding $$$ here , there,...... like apples....... so show me the magic how to get from $499 to $850

thanx,
Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

well with so many more companies behind Blu-ray is one of the main reason for clearer future for Blu-ray........, did you saw HD-DVD burner or recorder ?
I saw 8 blu-ray burners and 2-3 recorders already... in EUROPE only... and that's only in PC world........, rest was so many times described in many threads

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The many studios "backing" BD is a 'con', not a 'pro' for the consumer (it may be a 'pro' for the "owners" of the format in the process of a "format war").
It's a 'con', because most of the studios backing BR refuse to release the same films on HD DVD at the moment. That's very unfortunate.

It means that
(1) if you really *want* such a movie you are forced to buy BD stuff, to whatever price,
(2) we will not get a true and normal market mechanism judging the value (to the consumer) of both formats,
(3) studios may be tempted to lower the quality norm if we really have no choice.

As consumers we should urge the studios to release their product on both formats!

BTW, at the moment Warner and Paramount are keeping the BD-format alive! Other studios have plans, but these two are almost single-handed responsible for most of the quality software that's available.
Samsung and Panasonic do good work hardware-wise, but all the rest is PR (including future announcements) at this very moment!

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor
Cees, I think from 14th november you can add FOX to Paramount and Warner about keeping BD........

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
True!

But not to the list of "giving us an equal and honest choice".

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

http://www.hddvdprg.com/eng/about/member.html

A list of the HD-DVD company support. The thought that Blu-Ray has a more likely future than HD-DVD, or the other way around, is pipe dream. I am not sure how we can even make an honest assessment as most 'BD only' supporters don't even believe the product has officially launched yet....

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Dude. Half the companies on that list make things like media (blank discs).

There are no major hardware makers other than Toshbia & Sanyo & HP.

BD has every major hardware company listed (including Sanyo & HP) with the sole exception of Toshiba.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Dude, and half of them don't.

Toshiba, Alpine, HP, Kenwood, Hitachi, Sanyo, Teac, Protron, Onkyo, NEC, Fujitsu and 60 or so misc. associate companies.

But you are of course right, there is no support other than Toshiba, Sanyo and HP for HD-DVD. Give me a break....

And let's see, there are currently 3 HD-DVD models you can buy on the market, and lets count em, three BD models you can currently buy.

James St

Supporting Actor

Many stores are force bundling games and accessories with the hardware. Walmart.com for example is selling Nintendo Wii ($250) for $534 with 4 games and a few other accessories so imagine how much they put up the PS3 for.

Sony has made it clear that a majority of the "launch window" shipments (analysts speculate 80/20 in favor of the 60GB model) will be the $600 60GB system. Unless you happen to be at the right place at the right time then finding a $500 20GB model will be nearly impossible.

Sony did state at the Gamer's Day conference that the 60GB system will come with an HDMI cable. It will not come with a remote control except for the wireless controller.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julianaolsan