What's new

The 48" JVC w/ DVI/HDCP no longer availabe???!!! WTF!!! (1 Viewer)

Keith_JS

Agent
"He who hesitates is lost."

I had been waiting for the new Sony hdtv's with DVI to come out, but after learning that they don't have HDCP I decided to go to Best Buy in Rockville, Maryland and pick up the 48" JVC.

This is what the salesman told me, "JVC has discontinued that set because THEY COULDN'T KEEP UP WITH DEMAND."

Well after I picked my jaw up from the floor I told him he's gotta be kidding but he said he was serious. Corporate had told them that JVC was only fulfilling orders to those who had purchased the set and they were not making any more PERIOD. The model is discontinued!!!! -gulp- Say it aint so!!

Now something certainly smells fishy here. I may be a green horn when it comes to 'lectronical quipment but it seems to me that i learned in econ 100 that when demand for an item is extremely high manufacturers tend to regulate demand by raising something called PRICE before they actually stop manufacturing it. In fact this is one of the things that makes capitalism work if I'm not mistaken.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD JVC STOP MANUFACTURING NEW SETS WHEN DEMAND FOR THEM IS OVERWHELMING??!!

I mean only in fairy tales do you voluntarily kill a goose that lays golden eggs. Was Best Buy giving me a load of hogship or is JVC hiding something about the set itself something that they can't fix?

Has anybody heard this from any other etailer or B&M store?
Has anyone heard of another product sumarily taken off the market because it filled consumer demand so well? Something aint right about this!

DAGNABIT!!! BUYING THIS NEW RPTV HAS TURNED INTO THE BIGGEST FERSHMUGGING HEADACHE IN MY LIFE!!!

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Sony's announcement of their new line of HDTV’s specifically says that they have HDCP. Check out the link:
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2022
I don't know about the status of the JVC but I wouldn't trust anything told to you by a store salesman. If you're really concerned, call JVC.
Whatever the status of the JVC, calm down, THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
we at best buy have been told to sell off our display at certain locations. I think only certain markets will have a number of these tvs. When they first came out there were alot of problems and it seems jvc is trying to tinker around with the set before re-releasing them. I found it really funny when a customer told me he found the same tv for 12xx.xx at a competitor, but it seems like other chains are dropping the tv in some form for a while as well. Last i checked our NY wharehouse had about 100 of them.

Keith_JS

Agent
This makes sense Albert. I thought something might be wrong with the set. I never bought that line of bull that "JVC pulled it because they couldn't meet demand".

Looks like those who bought 48WP30 may have a defective set.

Phil, the new Sonys have DVI WITHOUT HDCP which makes them vulnerable to the same obsolesence of non-DVI HDTV sets. They require an external HDCP deencoder.

Ken G

Auditioning
I have had two of these sets and both had similar problems. Both have drifting convergence and concentric circles on the middle sides of the screens. Anyone know why convergence drifts day to day? I don't move the set, and it still happens. I have to say that the picture I get is as good as anything else I have seen, especially on HD broadcasts after convergence.

AlbertH, what kind of problems have your customers experienced?

Thanks,

Ken

Keith_JS, please reconcile your statement that the new Sony sets will not have HDCP, with this statement from the Sony Press Release:
"Sony Electronics today announced its support of Digital Visual Interface (DVI) with high-bandwidth digital content protection (HDCP) by unveiling 13 new Hi-Scan 1080i™ television sets and a prototype of a second-generation high-definition receiver.
The new DVI/HDCP compliant products deliver uncompressed, copy-protected, high definition video content through its digital DVI-HDTV interface. The television sets range in size from a 34-inch 16:9 widescreen flat-screen direct-view model in the FD Trinitron® WEGA® series to 51- to 65-inch rear projection widescreen models."

Keith_JS

Agent
Frank, this is GREEEAT news!!! Now I can put the new Sonys on my wait list with the new Hitachis!!
I think you have clarified beyond any reasonable doubt that the Sony is indeed HDCP capable. I stand corrected. I was only repeating the assertions which I had read in another thread about the new Sony DVI/HDCP issue. My mistake.
My response was based on how another poster on this forum had interpreted the apparently "artful ambiguity" of the Sony press release referenced in Phil's post. It seemed like a reasonable interpretation to me at the time. (see below)
"...(Each set features Sony's Hi-Scan 1080i chassis and incorporates a Digital Visual Interface DVI-HDTV) connection that enables copy-protected, high-definition video content to be delivered to the TV from a DVI/HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible set-top box."
While the release you quoted seems to unambiguously indicate that the Sonys are HDCP compliant I think you'll agree that the aove referenced quotation was poorly phrased at best.
Thanks for clearing up this issue.

I agree that the statement you quoted is not as clear as it could be. I had only seen the press release that I quoted, so that's why I was confused when I started seeing posts stating that the new Sonys lacked HDCP. I will be looking at the new Sonys also, but right now am leaning heavily toward the 50" Samsung DLP that will be coming out soon (it also will have DVI/HDCP). I'm a little short on space, so the fact that it's a table top model makes it a good choice for me, since I will be able to store components in the stand beneath it. Good luck with your choice.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Now, can someone answer me this: Do I need firewire along with DVI and HDCP? If I were to buy one of these sets, will I be OK? I am so frustrated with all this crap, I almost dont even want a new TV anymore.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks