'The 300 Spartans'...Why is This Not on DVD?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Fleming, Feb 9, 2003.

1. John Fleming

John Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Let me state up front that if you haven't seen this highly entertaining "sword and sandal" epic, you definitely should if you get the chance (it's aired sometimes on the AMC channel.) It chronicles the historically true attempt by the Spartan King Leonidas and 300 of his personal bodyguards/soldiers (with help from the Greeks) to defend the narrow pass at Thermopylae. The film is very stirring in its portrayal of the heroic efforts by this hugely outnumbered group of soldiers as they battle the Persian forces. The inevitable conclusion to this particular battle is captured on film such that you'll never forget the images. This film has a lot going for it; while some of the acting is a bit wooden, the battle scenes are impressive, especially for the time. The images of the Spartan soldiers dressed in red marching into battle are even more striking as according to the IMDB the film was shot in CinemaScope (2.35:1). The film's soundtrack music is very memorable indeed and perfect for the subject matter. All in all, a very entertaining movie which as far as I know, is not available at all now either on (NTSC) VHS [​IMG] or DVD.

After perusing various sites on the internet and reading countless reviews, I see that by far the overall response to this film is very positive...seems there are a few others like myself who would love to see The 300 Spartans (1962) released on DVD. As far as I can tell, Twentieth Century Fox owns the distribution rights to this film...if anyone knows different, let me know. Someone needs to release this on DVD in its original aspect ratio (of course), anamorphic widescreen if possible - the addition of the trailer would be real nice.

Would anyone else like to see this very entertaining film released on DVD? Let's make 'em realize there's a market for this film on DVD! Thanks.

Admins - feel free to move this to the 'Studio and Manufacturer Feedback' section if that's more appropriate.

2. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I would go for it. It was one a favorite of mine back in my youth. If Fox stills owns it, there may be a chance since they are coming out with "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in March.

3. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

This is one of those movies that I'm constantly checking on for my parents. My dad has been asking about this for years, almost as often as my mother has been asking about Cheaper by the Dozen. Both have been OOP for quite some time, and both go for pretty hefty sums on the secondary market. I'd definitely pick up a copy as a gift as soon as it was released.

4. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    I've often wondered if this movie would make it to DVD. I would definitely by an anamorphic widescreen DVD.

5. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    A true gem from my childhood memories, offering a remarkable account of one of most powerful, heroic deeds in History, source of inspiration for Frank Miller's 300 comic book, and now, so it seems, a couple of remakes (or should I say "retellings"?), one of them helmed by none other than Michael Mann.

Which, I hope, would mark the perfect occasion for releasing the original "peplum" on DVD.

[​IMG]

6. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Yeah. It was a favourite movie too for me back in my young
    days. Most vivid last battle scene was the 'V'shape formation of the Spartans' last stand. If memory serves me
    right it was actor Roy Calhoun who leads them Spartans.

If Ben Hur got the DVD treatment don't see why The 300
    Spartans won't get it too !

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I'd love to see The 300 Spartans on DVD too but realistically it's a low profile (no big stars, box office flop, no critical backing) so it's unlikely Fox will be doing this anytime soon when higher profile Fox titles like Three Coins In The Fountain, Broken Arrow (1950), Peyton Place, Compulsion, Three Faces Of Eve, Can Can, The Gunfighter among many others have yet to be announced for DVD release.

8. John Koehler

John Koehler Stunt Coordinator

When AMC showed it letterboxed some years ago, I made a HiBand Beta copy. Not DVD, but certainly better than VHS. What do I do when I run out of Beta deck parts?!? Great picture, well-acted and photographed (Unsworth no less).

9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Quote....
    If memory serves me
    right it was actor Roy Calhoun who leads them Spartans. ...

Actually it was Richard Egan who led the Spartans. I would like to have this on DVD also.

10. John Fleming

Well Scott, with a little luck hopefully we can at least satisfy your dad's desire, if not your Mom's [​IMG]

Thomas T, although I realize The 300 Spartans probably won't be released anytime soon, my intent here is to plant the proverbial seed. Hopefully Fox or whomever might actually release this will realize that the film has a large number of fans, the majority of whom I know would gladly plunk down the bucks for a satisfactory DVD release. Why do I say this? Simply because the movie is not available on (NTSC) VHS (unless you resort to eBay, and who knows how good the video/audio quality is) or DVD.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I remember this film well from when I was a kid. I'd enjoy seeing it for the first time in widescreen. [​IMG]

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    My daddy took us to see it when I was a kid. I liked it. I would buy it.

13. Keith Helms

Keith Helms Stunt Coordinator

I love that movie and would buy a DVD in a heartbeat. Along with Zulu it's my favorite "last stand" movie.

14. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  15. John Fleming

RolandL,

Thanks much for the information; let's hope it's true - and if so, let's hope Fox will be providing us with a respectable release (at least preserving the Cinemascope ratio and preferably anamorphic widescreen, with the stereo soundtrack of course). I have no reason to doubt that Fox will produce a fine DVD release of this film.

Peter Staddon,

If you happen to read this, are you at liberty to comment on the impending release? Could you offer any details?

John

16. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    From DVD File :