What's new

The 27 Inch Debate (1 Viewer)

AaronJB

Second Unit
Hey all,

I'm considering getting a new 27-inch monitor as a "second" set. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but here's the debate:

I'd like to get one of Samsung or Zenith's ED (in the case of the one Samsung - 2745) or HD monitors. However, I hear plenty of debate on whether or not these are worthwhile sets. Some people seem to enjoy their Samsungs, but I hear other issues such as color issues, stray lines in the image, geometry issues and more. The Zenith (C27V36) seems to also have its share of problems, but some pros in its favor.

Essentially, I'd like to get into HD at a reasonable price (budget of $650ish), but I don't want to get into one of those situations where I keep switching/returning TVs or somehow get a good one after 3 times. The reliability seems sketchy with these.

My other option would be one of the Sony Wegas. While the picture quality may not be as good on these non-progressive sets, the reliability seems like a safer bet, as these sets seem to have less issues.

Thoughts?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was at CC recently and they had dropped the Zenith 27" HD direct-view to like $450.

At that rate, I would check what they're charging for the 32" and just get that instead.

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 32 inch HD Samsung. I've had it for about a year and a half and havn't had one problem with it. The color is great and geometry is fine. I've got the older model, I think the newer model of the 27 is the #TXN2771HF. Don't quote me on that though.

From all I've seen, the newer Samsung sets are the best quality for the money. As for the Wegas, the non-HD ones I think are over-rated, It looks like you're watching the TV through a screen with the black grids very visable on most sets I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks