the 25th Anniversary of the classic motion picture: Superman: The Movie!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheBat, Jan 18, 2003.

1. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    Superman: The movie was released on December 15th, 1978. This year marks the 25th Anniversary of this lost classic movie. I rather remember this classic movie then the new film that WB is trying to do. WE know that the new movie will make Superman 4 look like an oscar winner.

cheers to the cast and crew of Superman: The Movie!

JACOB

2. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Jacob
    What do you mean by "lost classic movie"?
    It is available in a great SE from WB, although I do wish that they had included the original soundtrack. Luckily I hung onto the Laserdisc which has it. This was my favorite film as a child and it still holds up today.
    25 years?? Sheesh I feel old![​IMG]

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yep - great movie!

4. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    a lost clkassic since Wb doesn;t care about the movie. there was a great chance for a theatre re-release, but the plan backfired and so they released it on dvd instead.
    WB treats its like a problem child.
    JACOB

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

6. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Still the greatest Comic Book movie! Will always be! They will never get Superman as right as they did with this one and the 2nd one.

7. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    it was a compeltey different audience then the one in LA.. they had a screening at the egyptian theatre.. the audience went nuts both cheering and clapping throughout the film.. it was an amazing experience.

JACOB

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

One of my fondest movie-going memories as a kid.
    i can still see the banners in the lobby and the way the theater was decorated (down to the King Of The Gypsys poster in the showcase).
    hundreds of people tightly packed in their seats...even tighter due to all the winter coats and scarfs and gloves that had share space with popcorn and drinks...and back then the seats never had cupholders.
    all of a sudden the movie starts...with -to this day- my favorite title sequence of all time to one of john Williams best scores-
    and then bit by bit, layer by layer this epic production unfolded, washing away with it all traces of George Reeves and the 50's asthetic of superman (along with all the curt swan images i had grown up with).

the character was suddenly real...and relevant.
    the story had depth and humour...and the flying scenes were state of the art. no stiffbodied, longshot profiles as the scenery moved around him.
    Superman finally soared and swooped, and did everything that i could only see in line drawings and primary colors before.
    Luthor, a character i found boring in the comics, with his frankly gay looking green and purple jumpsuit, was now charmingly diabolical.

God i love this movie.
    the release of the movie in its OAR was the reason i finally got into laserdiscs, and the dvd release was the reason i seriously started to get into HT.

9. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

To quote Willem in Clerks: "Thats beautiful man."

Really is.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    It'll be nice to see Chris Reeve coming full circle when he Guest Stars on Smallville in February. Tom Welling looks so much like a young chris reeve it's scary.