The 20 Most Influential Science Fiction Film of All Time

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_K, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I was going through my magazine rack and stumbled upon an old issue of Cinescape magazine from 97’, which lists what they think are the 20 most influential Science Fiction films of all time. I believe it’s the first issue I ever picked up before I realized that the magazine is all fluff for the most part IMO. The list is actually pretty decent considering the source.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    2. Star Wars (1977)
    3. Blade Runner (1982)
    4. Metropolis (1927)
    5. Terminator (1984)
    6. Terminator 2 (1991)
    7. Alien (1979)
    8. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
    9. A Trip To The Moon (1902)
    10. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1958)
    11. Things To Come (1936)
    12. Clockwork Orange (1971)
    13. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977)
    14. The Thing From Another World (1951)
    15. Road Warrior (1981)
    16. Planet Of The Apes (1968)
    17. Aliens (1986)
    18. Andromeda Strain (1970)
    19. Forbidden Planet (1958)
    20. War Of The Worlds (1953)

Honorable mentions went to:
    Flash Gordon (1936), Island of Lost Souls (1933), Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953), Them! (1954), Godzilla (1954) and Death Race 2000 (1975).
    Also of note is that they got John Carpenter to list his 10 most influential sci-fi films: Thing From Another World, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Quatermass Enemy from Space (1955), Quatermass The Creeping Unknown (1956), 2001 A Space Odyssey, It Came From Outer Space (1953), War Of The Worlds, Frankenstein (1931), Metropolis and The Woman in the Moon (1929).
    I don’t think the list is that bad but I wouldn’t include Terminator 2 since the original covered the same ground 7 years earlier. I also have to question what did Clockwork Orange influence? It’s certainly a unique film but I don’t think it belongs on a list of most Influential IMO.
    There are many more films I would include but I’ll keep them to myself for now.
    What do my fellow Sci-Fi buffs think of the list?

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Hmm, it's difficult at best for me to organize 20, although I don't disagree with their list. Certainly, 2001 was influential, but it and Star Wars are close. If you're talking about the impact these films had on the movie industry, as well as the way we watch movies, then I'd put Star Wars ahead of 2001. If you're talking about their impact and influence they had on the sci-fi genre, then I guess it's a toss up, or whichever you liked best and had the most influence on you.

But that's a pretty good list. However, I'd consider Star Wars to be a fantasy film as well. Some even say more fantasy than sci-fi. Let's say sci-fantasy.

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Well looks like this got moved to the dreaded POLLS area for some reason. I was trying to generate some discussion about these films, but whatever. [​IMG]

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I don’t think the list is that bad but I wouldn’t include Terminator 2 since the original covered the same ground 7 years earlier. I also have to question what did Clockwork Orange influence? It’s certainly a unique film but I don’t think it belongs on a list of most Influential IMO.

5. RobR

RobR Second Unit

That's a great list. As for A Clockwork Orange being considered a science fiction, check out http://www-scf.usc.edu/~dsykes/main.html
    This thread should be moved back to the movie section as Jim_K isn't polling anyone; he's merely asking what people think of the list (i.e. generating a discussion of the list). Moderators shouldn't rely on thread titles alone as they could be misleading.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

My PERSONAL opinion is for a movie (SF, in this case) to be called MOST influential, it has to be technically and/or idealogically groundbreaking, and inspired generations of films and film makers. I grew up in the late 50s and through out the years, I have watched a lot of SF/Fantasy films, here's my opinion on some of the movies on the list:

1. 2001 - This one is beyond dispute, prior to 2001, we have never seen a carefully researched Spacecraft/station on screen and the way how the inside/outside of the spacecraft was shown, really influenced generations of film makers (listen to Ridley Scott on the Alien commentary, for example). The whole "HAL' incident is also majorly influential for years to come.

2. Starwars - There has NEVER been visuals like SW before, we have NEVER seen a visual "happening' of going to light speed, we have NEVER seen space storm troopers, we have NEVER seen space dog fights and we have NEVER seen a bar with alien creatures and dialects. We have NEVER seen camera works with a gaint spacecraft coming from behind the camera and overhead that seem lasted for miles (the technique was influenced by Kurosawa in the very beginning shot of Hidden Fortress). I don't know how many 100s of movies in the last 25 years that have used the same camera works, and the SW ideas, these include the TV Battlestar Galactica, Star Troopers, and even the most recent flop Battlefield Earth.

3. Alien - No more nice guys, Ridley introduced a world of junkyard chains and metal, trashed machinery and a "ghost" spaceship that looked something like from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. All these overlaying on top of the sterile clean bright space environment that was pioneered by Kubrick in 2001. Instead of clean cut trim and fit crew wearing NASA logo uniforms, we have Tom Skerrit, Yaphet Kotto that looked more like a crew just off the garbage truck. Instead of HAL, we have the Ian Holms andriod, things has indeed gotten a lot nastier.

4. The Day The Earth Stood Still - The first movie that I am aware of that raised the possibility that "aliens" may not be always pure evil as in "The Thing in another World".

5. CE3K - A gaint step from The Day the Earth Stood Still, aliens aint "The Thing", "Body Snatcher", "War of the World" and all these "Bad" stuff. Started the whole ET, Contact,... type of "feel good" aliens movies.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Most of those I consider very influential. Here are my pics...

- Star Wars

- Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

- When Worlds Collide

- War Of The Worlds

- Superman

- The Empire Strikes Back

- The Matrix

- Terminator 2

- The Terminator

- Jurassic Park

- Independence Day

- The Wrath Of Khan

- Planet Of The Apes (original)

- Alien

- The Day The Earth Stood Still

- Flash Gordon

- Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

- Aliens

- Blade Runner

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

What, no Plan 9 from Outer Space? [​IMG]

9. Calvin Cullen

Calvin Cullen Stunt Coordinator

I'll cast my VOTE for Robocop [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Oh, the POLLS room! We don't discuss MOVIES in here... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think it's a damn solid list, but I don't know if I'd have Aliens on there. YES, it's an absolutely fantastic movie, but I'd bet there is another sci-fi flick that deserves to be on this list instead. An outer space FPS* of a movie is hardly one of the most influential sci-fi films ever made!
    Let's be honest: The original Godzilla is surely more "influential" of a sci-fi flick than is Aliens.
    Although my adoration for movies is limitless, sci-fi movies hold a special place in my heart. The REALLY good ones are treasures.
    (*First Person Shooter, for those non-videogame freaks.)

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I think Aliens is possibly the strongest outer space war movie I've seen

It certainly stands above Term 2 as more influential.

12. Rain

Rain Producer

What about E.T. The Extra Terrestrial?

13. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I would also say that Robocop was fairly influential.

14. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Well, Rain mentioned ET.

As far as "most influential" I think ET had more SF impact with J6P than say Aliens.

I like Aliens better, but more influential ... I think ET wins.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I have this issue. And so many of the films on the list don't truly qualify as SF. Spaceships and rayguns alone do not an SF film make.

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Why isn't Yellow Submarine on the list?
    [​IMG]

17. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

smart-ass. [​IMG]

18. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Phantom Menace

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Dark City

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

E.T.

Clockwork Orange

The Terminator

Matrix

Alien

Aliens

Metropolis

The Thing

19. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Oh Boy, Jack you started it [​IMG]
    Guess we could rename the topic best Sci-Fi - not Science Fiction.
    Many won't qualify for "true" Science Fiction. If we stick with Sci-Fi .... well some may be "insulted" to see certain titles in the Sci-Fi group.

20. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I was going to go into an incredibly indepth discussion on the most influential SF films of all time, but since its moved to polls, and I know some of the guys who inhabit this area, I'll make it brief and painless.[​IMG]
    2001-A Space Odyssey
    Metropolis
    Blade Runner
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Godzilla (1955)
    Alien
    Star Wars
    Mad Max
    The Terminator
    erm thats it...