What's new

The 13th Season of Gunsmoke due out on DVD on May 22, 2018…details following. (1 Viewer)

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Just spotted on the TV show site that Gunsmoke, the complete 13th season of the program, in two volumes will be coming out on DVD on May 22, 2018 and here is the link and official cover art to BOTH volumes of the season and show:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Gunsmoke-Season-12/24046

Gunsmoke_S13V1.jpg

THE LINK ABOVE HAS THE WRONG COVER ART FOR THE SECOND VOLUME OF THE SHOW'S 13TH SEASON.

AN UPDATE: I see that the TV DVD site corrected their mistake and NOW here is the Season 13 Volume 2 cover art for Gunsmoke and it is as follows:

Gunsmoke_S13V2_f.jpg

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Saving space is a little more important than the art work to me. Besides I'm not a fan of any of the Gunsmoke art work but that's just me.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Awesome news, indeed! Between this and the original Dallas coming out on single-sided discs, 2018 is turning out to be pretty sweet!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just spotted on the TV show site that Gunsmoke, the complete 13th season of the program, in two volumes will be coming out on DVD on May 22, 2018 and here is the link and official cover art to BOTH volumes of the season and show:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Gunsmoke-Season-12/24046

Gunsmoke_S13V1.jpg

THE LINK ABOVE HAS THE WRONG COVER ART FOR THE SECOND VOLUME OF THE SHOW'S 13TH SEASON.

I'm glad these are finally coming out i'll star saving my Pennies, but when i see the price for the multiple season sets at walmart it makes me sad for how much i've spent on the individual releases, of course if I and others hadn't seen the money we wouldn't be getting new seasons, thats so frustrating

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad these are finally coming out i'll star saving my Pennies, but when i see the price for the multiple season sets at walmart it makes me sad for how much i've spent on the individual releases, of course if I and others hadn't seen the money we wouldn't be getting new seasons, thats so frustrating
Yeah I never considered Gunsmoke at 20 seasons a realistic one to expect a complete series set. Just too many seasons. They would most likely break it up into 3-4 sets but no guarantee on that and its not likely to happen until all the seasons are released. And that may not happen so if you like the show it never made sense to wait on this one.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I almost gagged yesterday when I saw how much Amazon was charging per volume of season 13. They have since removed any pricing, but I found it way cheaper elsewhere. Even though it's still a bit over-priced, I expect 2018 is gonna be a really quiet year for me as far as purchases of classic tv. So I am willing to pay too much in the hopes of encouraging CBS to keep cranking out some more Gunsmoke. It will be years before I get around to watching the first 12 seasons, so I am in no particular rush, but I would like to own all 20 seasons eventually. Since I won't be spending very much money this year on dvds. I'll consider it a worthwhile investment if season 14 follows later this year. If anyone at CBS is listening in, I'm thinking about every 3-4 months until all 20 seasons are completed sometime in 2020. <_<

Last edited:

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
I almost gagged yesterday when I saw how much Amazon was charging per volume of season 13. They have since removed any pricing, but I found it way cheaper elsewhere.
Since I'm not a fan of CBS's 2-volume season releases on this, when season 12 came out I waited for one retailer's periodic BOGO sales.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I almost gagged yesterday when I saw how much Amazon was charging per volume of season 13. They have since removed any pricing, but I found it way cheaper elsewhere. Even though it's still a bit over-priced, I expect 2018 is gonna be a really quiet year for me as far as purchases of classic tv. So I am willing to pay too much in the hopes of encouraging CBS to keep cranking out some more Gunsmoke. It will be years before I get around to watching the first 12 seasons, so I am in no particular rush, but I would like to own all 20 seasons eventually. Since I won't be spending very much money this year on dvds. I'll consider it a worthwhile investment if season 14 follows later this year. If anyone at CBS is listening in, I'm thinking about every 3-4 months until all 20 seasons are completed sometime in 2020. <_<

That's consistent with past releases. Amazon typically goes down to <$30 per volume on release day. Walmart has typically had it in store for $20 per volume on release day. Wait six months and it should be even cheaper.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Or wait even longer, for an even cheaper price, with the inevitable Seasons 10-13 collection (all discs in one thick case) at Walmart. I re-bought the Seasons 1-4 and 5-7 collections primarily for the decreased shelf space.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Or wait even longer, for an even cheaper price, with the inevitable Seasons 10-13 collection (all discs in one thick case) at Walmart. I re-bought the Seasons 1-4 and 5-7 collections primarily for the decreased shelf space.

In general, I am very committed to conserving shelf space. But there have been a very few favorites where I am willing to pay the crazy prices when they are first released. Other than Gunsmoke, that was true for Mannix and Perry Mason. And despite Perry Mason being sold in those cash-cow half season sets, I proudly have all those cases lined up on my shelf, and don't give any thought to how much I spent or how many inches I could conserve if I combined sets. There's something fun about seeing an all-time favorite lined up on the shelf, just waiting to be watched. Gunsmoke falls into that same category, and I hope someday soonish I will be able to look over and see all 39 cases lined up, and know that Dodge is readily available for a visit whenever I feel like it.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Yeah I never considered Gunsmoke at 20 seasons a realistic one to expect a complete series set. Just too many seasons. They would most likely break it up into 3-4 sets but no guarantee on that and its not likely to happen until all the seasons are released. And that may not happen so if you like the show it never made sense to wait on this one.

Randy, I just wished they would have done complete season sets instead of these idiotic volumes they have been doing with these kind of shows as it just prolongs the agony and it's wasting an extra box, but hey, CBS wants to make their bucks on this release so they figure why the hell not, right?!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Randy, I just wished they would have done complete season sets instead of these idiotic volumes they have been doing with these kind of shows as it just prolongs the agony and it's wasting an extra box, but hey, CBS wants to make their bucks on this release so they figure why the hell not, right?!

Since they release both volumes at the same time I can't image how it prolongs anything. It's the time and cost to transfer and cleanup from the original elements that extends the time. As far as the cases go, a singular case wouldn't necessarily save that much on space since it would still need to be extra wide for the number of disks.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And as much as the waiting kills me (it does seem this 2 or more year hiatus is a bit ridiculous), I'd rather wait and get these uncut, cleaned up, and in sparkling color as opposed to unrestored or chopped up.

I honestly have no idea how long this type of work requires, but I tend to share your perspective that close to two years seems like a long time. However, if CBS has a specific internal shop that does all their restoration work and you consider all the shows in line for this type of effort, it may not be that it takes two years to do the work, but two years to get back into the queue to do another season. These are probably the same folks that do Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, and a slew of other shows we have been waiting on.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I pre ordered Gunsmoke Season 13, V1 and 2, on Amazon Canada at $30.89 Canadian each...that's $23.60 each in American Dollars at the current exchange rate...Amazon Canada currently has double postings for both volumes, V1 and 2 with the cover image attached at $42.09 CAN ($32.16 U.S.) and another set of postings WITHOUT THE COVER IMAGE at the aforementioned $30.89 CAN ($23.60 U. S.)...don't ask me to explain any of this, of course, as it is the usual price algorithms of automation at work, and our Canadian dollar has been falling against the U.S. greenback all this week...what I do know is they always honor these pricing mistakes. American customers can always cancel their pre order if a better deal arises before May 22... but for the time being, this is the best pricing I've found...and a nice deal, even if you include shipping...your dollar will likely appreciate against ours in the interim too!
Ported over my post from "What was the last TV on DVD you bought thread" for those who might be interested.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Does anyone know how this works? It seems (but don't quote me, I don't know anyone at CBS) that CBS is committed to Gunsmoke, and if it takes a year or so in between releases, I am okay with that, as long as the episodes look as good as they have so far. But if CBS has already released the remaining seasons in Germany, couldn't they recycle those so they could release them in this country at a faster pace? Or are the German releases from some prints that are edited and/or not remastered?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Along those lines, MeTV is in Season 15 now, I guess they are edited, but were the Seasons 13, 14, and now 15 showing on MeTV remastered? I think for Season 12 MeTV showed the new prints.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Does anyone know how this works? It seems (but don't quote me, I don't know anyone at CBS) that CBS is committed to Gunsmoke, and if it takes a year or so in between releases, I am okay with that, as long as the episodes look as good as they have so far. But if CBS has already released the remaining seasons in Germany, couldn't they recycle those so they could release them in this country at a faster pace? Or are the German releases from some prints that are edited and/or not remastered?

The later seasons released in Germany were not remastered from the original elements like what we are receiving in the US. Most appear to be based on earlier uncut masters that were then dubbed in German and used for syndication in Germany. While not bad, they can be a bit washed out at times. In other words, they are more in line with other non-studio type releases we get, a bit below the standard set by CBS and WB for most of their releases.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Along those lines, MeTV is in Season 15 now, I guess they are edited, but were the Seasons 13, 14, and now 15 showing on MeTV remastered? I think for Season 12 MeTV showed the new prints.

CBS had given no indication that they are beyond season 12 when it comes to remastering, with season 13 being available in the near future. Therefore, I doubt seasons 13 and beyond on MeTV are anything else but older prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks