the 11 most important songs in the rock era....

Discussion in 'Music' started by David Hobbes, Mar 8, 2005.

1. David Hobbes

David Hobbes Stunt Coordinator

1955- present

not saying these are the best or greatest, but the most important...

Good for a debate?? in chronological order..

1. Maybellene- Chuck Berry: the first really great song about girls and cars!! and rock and roll guitar starts here..

2. I want to hold your hand - Beatles: The song that launched the beatles explosion worldwide...

3. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan: it transformed the way songs were made..

4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix: the birth of the guitar-hero, a mainstay in rock music

5. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath: not their greatest song but the song that paved the way for heavy metal... can you imagine how freaky this song was in 1970?

6. Bleitzkreig Bop - Ramones: the blueprint for punk rock...

7. Rappers Delight - Sugar Hill Gang: maybe not the birth of rap but the song that put rap into the mainstream...

8. Eruption - Van Halen: the bible for guitar...nothing like this was heard before in rock music...

9. Radio Free Europe - REM: launched alternative music as nothing sounded like this song when it came out..

10. **** tha Police - NWA: took hip hop to a new level....good or bad...

11. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana: like it or hate it had the same effect, albeit 30 years later, that "I want to hold your hand" had on music....

2. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I can't remember the chronology of the punk movement, but I see Ramones pioneers of the 3 chord punk, but as far as blue print for what punk stood for, would have to go to sex pistols or my preference the Clash.... otherwise not bad.

3. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

i'd like to add "Satisfaction" by the stones because it was one of the first real songs sort of about sex.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Why eleven?? Spinal Tap fan?

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Great list, David! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not by a long shot. Rhythm and blues (and before that, blues or jazz) songs contained euphemisms about sex decades before "Satisfaction".

6. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Rappers Delight may have been the first "Rap" song to have some mainstream success but Run DMC's (w. Aerosmith) "Walk This Way" was more important, in my opninion. Not only did it put hip hop on MTV at a time when they didn't really feature black artists but it helped revive the career of Aerosmith.

7. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

You are missing the quintessential rock song of all time Lynard Skynard “s Freebird!
    Not to mention the quintessential rock ballad Led Zeppelin’s Stairway To Heaven

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I think Wouldn't It Be Nice by the Beach Boys would be a candidate, as its harmonic structure was very influential on The Beatles and countless other groups.

I would also suggest Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen (for the first real rock video)

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I would suggest Epic by Faith No More because it had a profound impact on the sound of "rap metal" to come.

10. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

I agree with that one. I remember it coming on TV a couple of times and my brother calling me in to see it. The proof of concept of a music video as a commercially viable marketing tool is what sets it apart from what came before.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    How could the ist not have JOHNNY B. GOOD? Or, anything by Buddy Holly? The list, NOT credible!

12. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

Not exactly individual songs, I like your list and agree with it, but for additions, more along the lines of albums. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds and Sgt. Peppers by The Beatles were two of the first major Concept albums. Tommy by the Who was the first rock opera.
    As for songs, I'd put London Calling by The Clash on there, it's what made punk, punk. You could still do a good song with an actual melody but still make a statment. I know there's other Clash songs that are probably better but I'm drawing a mental blank.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Nothing by Elvis? It would be difficult to leave him out of any list like this.

[​IMG]

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    My list:

Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Good
    Buddy Holly - That'll Be The Day
    Elvis Presley - Hound Dog
    Beatles - I Want You ( she's so heavy)
    Beatles - Eight Days A Week
    Fontella Bass - Rescue Me
    The Meters - Cissy Strut
    Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A'Changin'
    Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
    Bob Dylan - LIKE A Rolling Stone
    Sly & the Family Stone - Dance To The Music

I'm afraid Dylan is the only place we aggree what-so-ever....

15. David Hobbes

David Hobbes Stunt Coordinator

rachael B i chose Maybellene instead of Johnny b good because it came first and was about the two most popular subjects in rock music..girls and cars!!!

and rachael why did you choose the songs you chose? for instance why that beatles song? what is the influence it had on pop/rock music? as for the others you chose it looks more like a list of your favorite songs rather than a "credible" list of important and influential songs in the rock era...

i didn't choose freebird or stairway because although they are great songs, they weren't as important or influential as the ones i listed....

as far as the clash or sex pistols..they were inspired by the ramones....

16. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

11 songs is not enough to form a flowchart of important songs in Rock. Cause thats basically what it seems like you all are trying to do. But you cant span 3 or 4 decades with only 11 songs, it will basically turn into an debate. There has been far too many influential factors which have and continue to alter the tree of rock music. I think Rap/metal is an important evolutionary branch. "Epic" broke down the snobbishness of rock. Before "Walk This Way" and "Epic", Rock and Rap were NOT to be mixed. It was taboo. After that it was ok to like rock and rap. And it paved the way for influential bands like Rage Against the Machine.
    But I also wouldn't include it in the 11 elite songs if such a list was possible, But I wouldn't dismiss it either because it helped create a new genre branch off of the Rock tree.

17. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

how about for an Elvis Presley song, "thats all right", the first single that he released and is consitered by many people as the first rock song.

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'll throw out 11 not mentioned yet as being highly influential.

The Beatles - Yesterday. Pop ballads take center stage.

Simon & Garfunkel: Bridge over Troubled Water. Big orchestration moves from R&B and other formats.

Ray Charles: What'd I Say?

Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. The first album ever to be certified "platinum" after selling a record setting 8 Million copies upon release. Changed the marketing dynamic in the industry.

Gloria Gaynor - I will Survive. Still often heard, often sampled, became a beacon of the disco era.

Michael Jackson - Thriller. Very few albums have reshaped the way the R&B/pop world did business the way Thriller did.

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions - almost the whole album has to be taken into account; message rap with the likes of PE, and others is born.

2 Live Crew - Me So Horny. Laugh all you want. If it weren't for these guys, do you really think you'd have Lil'Kim, 50 Cent, Khia and so many others who have made sex as their #1 sell? In fact, many of these modern artists even go as far as to steal the beats and refrains (Hell, Quad City DJ took the refrain, lyrics and samples completely from "hey we want some p*****" and turned it into a #1 hit). Most modern rap that gets air play owes far more to 2 live crew then any other prior group.

REM - Losing my Religion. No, not necessarily my favorite REM track, but definitely one which I feel left a lasting mark on music that followed it, as well as video direction.

Elvis - Blue Suede Shoes.

Madonna - Material Girl - opened up the doors for numerous upcoming poptart acts.

19. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I would argue that and say Run DMC, Public Enemy, and NWA (Specifically Dr. Dre due to his longstanding presence in hip hop and continued influence) are the most influential early rap acts to modern rap.

But this list is for influential Rock songs, not hip hop.

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Really? How much message rap/gangsta rap do you hear on the radio or in heavy rotation as compared to say, sex oriented rap? Even Gangsta rappers (50 cent, etc.) made big hits out of completely sex-sells music. I'd argue also that very few acts influenced multiple sectors the way they did, encouraging more rock acts to "go blue"

Not necessarily saying I care for them (I don't) or that they were talented (they weren't) but that their presence made a big impact on the industry.