1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

The $1000 Budget Challenge!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Max:P, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Max:P

Max:P Auditioning

I challenge you all to help me come up with the absolute best possible 7.1 speaker setup including a receiver, that can be had for around $1000. This will be the first true home theater setup I've ever even listened to, let alone owned, so please impress me even though it is a relatively low budget compared to what some of you spend [​IMG]

This setup, along with a Panasonic PT-L500u projector, is going to be hooked up to 2 PC's, one purely for HT (and some music), and one purely for gaming.

The 2 most important things to me are going to be taking advantage of 3d positional audio (especially in PC games), and sound clarity in movies. Rumbling bass and loudness arent important to me at all. In fact since I live in an apartment with neighbors I would almost prefer a system lacking in those areas.

When I say I want the absolute best for the price, that means I would gladly build my own speakers if they sounded significantly better than manufactured speakers in the same price range.

I would also buy refurbished, used, ebayed, stolen (j/k [​IMG]), whatever it takes to get the best for my hard earned cash, since in my current situation, $1000 is a TON to spend on myself especially considering I'm about to drop $1800 on the projector.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would pick up the Klipsch Quintets then go on Ebay and buy two more Quintets. Pick up a Harmon Kardon refurb 325 or 525 and you're ready to go. If you got the 325 you could use the rest of the money to pick up a small Dayton, or maybe a Hsu sub.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Package 1:
    Speakers: HSU Ventriloquist VT-12(6.1) $199
    Sub: HSU STF-1 $299
    Receiver: Onkyo 701 $429.99
    $72.01 left over for Wires.

Package 2:
    JBL NSPIII 5 Piece $205
    2 Extra JBL $100
    Sub: HSU STF-1 $299
    Receiver: Harmon Kardon 230, Onkyo 601, Denon 1604, Yamaha 5660 roughly all for $300
    Leaves about $96 for wires.

4. Max:P

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

I've been checking out other forums looking for ideas, I was kind of thinking about a setup like this

(2) Ed Frias DIY speakers ~$220 (if i build my own cabinets)
    (4) RCA LX550 ~$240 (guy on the forums says he can get them for me, but hasnt replied to my latest email yet)
    Dayton sub $100
    Center channel? ~$140
    ??? Receiver $300

I've read about some mods for the RCA's that are supposed to improve them greatly.

Any opinions on a setup like this? Center channel that would go well with the others?

5. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I'd skip the 7.1 and do 5.1. I'd also spend less on the sub then the HSU (get the small Dayton) and put the money in to the speakers.

Receiver: Onkyo 601 $300
    Sub: Dayton 10" $110
    Speakers: Enery Take 5.2 $500

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I agree with Brian that I’d put my $1,000 into fewer, but better speakers. You can always add a couple of more later on.

Consider quality over quantity.

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I agree with BrianAe and skip the 7.1 for the 5.1, there really is not that much out there in 7.1 yet anyway. You have to find a good brand and stick with it. In other words get speakers you know will be around awhile and get the fronts and your receiver now. Later get your surrounds and sub and whatever else you want. You will be money ahead and way happier in a few years doing it this way. Now the best way...............

Actually I would go over your budget by $300 and go to av123.com and look at their elt package. Denon amp, sub, center and 4 sides for around $1300. Talk to Sean there and see what he can do for you. You wont regret this set up.. guaranteed!

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Rocket ELT package at that price w/o a doubt.

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If you can swing a bit more, the ELT/Denon package is a price performer.

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

With Logic7 everything is in 7.1[​IMG]

Ok, so nothing is in 7.1, but using digital processing even TV can be in 7 channel, so if that's what you want go for it.

11. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Yea but your wasting your money on cheap speakers with his budget. He would have a better, much better sounding 5.1 system than anything larger. Unless you want to go to 3" single speakers per cabinet. And even then it would probably have to be a plastic cabinet.

12. Max:P

I definitely have my heart set on a 7.1 setup, however after checking out some of the suggestions here I think what I'll probably do is buy 5.1 speakers with a 7.1 receiver so I can add on later.

The Rocket ELT's are VERY tempting, but I wonder how they would sound with a Dayton sub instead of the matching one. Even with that I would still be well over my budget, but not quite at much.

Theres a good reason I set a budget, not because I couldn't scrape up enough money to spend a little more, but because I know I really shouldn't spend more. I've got a big problem when it comes to big purchases like this, I always find something better, for just a little bit more money, and after that I find something slightly better than that for just a little bit more, until before I know it I'm spending every penny on something I really don't need. It already happened with the projector I'm getting, 6 months ago I was going to get a super cheap 4:3 Apex RPTV, then after researching displays I changed my mind about 5 times before ending up at the Panasonic for over $1000 more. A few months ago there was no way I would spend a grand on a sound system... but now theres no way I'm gonna spend any less after reading some reviews [​IMG]

Anyway... I'm aware that theres currently nothing out there in 7.1, nothing unless you count PC games. I know at least the new Creative sound cards support 7.1 in all directsound3d games in both the standard rear surround, and also side surround configurations, which I think could be very interesting to try out. Especially with new EAX 4.0 games on the horizon, I want to create the maximum possible immersion in 3d games. It will help to have a 100" screen too [​IMG] Imagine a reality based racing game with cutting edge graphics and EAX 4.0 in incredible sounding 7.1 taking up your entire field of vision, and controlling it with a good force feedback wheel and pedal setup. Thats my idea of immersion.

13. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Recvier Sherwood 7108 (i think)
    speaker system - Fluance SX HTB
    Subwoofer - Dayton 10"

KICK ASS SYSTEM!

14. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The sub will work just fine with the rockets. Subs don't need to match the rest of the system (hence the obsession with SVS and Hsu subs). You will lose nothing by using the Dayton instead of the sub that matches the rockets. If that's what you like go for it!

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

5.1 system, $90 over your budget (all prices are on-line):

JBL E30 ($200/pair)
    JBL E10 ($150/pair)
    JBL EC25 ($160)
    JBL E150P ($280)
    h/k AVR-130 ($300)

The only wild card in this setup is the sub. You could purchase the Dayton that other folks have suggested, and step up to the h/k AVR-230.