What's new

The 100 (Season 2) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm baffled by this last episode for one reason: violence. Why is it everyone thinks the only way to solve anything is through a physical altercation. So, not too long ago, Abby got basically tortured in front of the survivors for going behind Kane's back. She accepted her punishment without saying anything and, by all accounts, she has also forgiven Kane.

Now, though, when Raven helped Clarke and the others leave camp, what does Abby do? She doesn't reason with Raven or anything like that. She doesn't get the desired answer the first time around...and promptly slaps Raven. Why is violence the default option in camp? (I'm not even talking about what happened with Finn and Bellamy and the Grounder camp.) I expect more from Abby, honestly, at this point. Maybe I shouldn't.

And here's another point that Raven really hit home with Abby. Clarke and the others have been on the surface and fended for themselves for a good long time. Why not take advantage of what they know to rescue the people trapped in Mt. Weather? Again, my argument this entire season has been how the "kids" are being disregarded by the adults. Finn, Bellamy, Clarke, Octavia...they made the surface work against all odds. It's the "adults" who screw everything up by not actually listening. (Finn and Bellamy not withstanding.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
As for Mt Weather: It seems revealed they view the 100 as basically transfusion supply for their own. I'm disappointed by this. While a TV series demands its villains and plot-twists, given Clarke's paranoia, the a great twist would have been for Mt Weather to actually be an oasis that had fully and openly taken in the ark children.
Clearly President Wallace's intentions towards the children were pure. It's Rekha Sharma's Doctor's character that views them as a transfusion supply. The problem comes now that she has proved her hypothesis, it's crystal clear just what a valuable resource the children are. And this is a waste-not-want-not kind of world. It would be hard for President Wallace to tell his people why their loved ones have had to die, when the means to save them existed.I'm hoping that that conflict gets more nuanced rather than simply flipping them into full-on antagonist mode. Certainly the portrayal of the grounders has gotten more nuanced as the kids (and later the other Ark survivors) learned more about them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam Lenhardt said:
Clearly President Wallace's intentions towards the children were pure. It's Rekha Sharma's Doctor's character that views them as a transfusion supply.
I've not understood that from the President. He's not evil, but I understand that he, viewed the kids as a means to their longevity. He's lied to Clarke from the beginning about Ark survivors. What did I miss towards a contrary view?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jason_V said:
And here's another point that Raven really hit home with Abby. Clarke and the others have been on the surface and fended for themselves for a good long time. Why not take advantage of what they know to rescue the people trapped in Mt. Weather? Again, my argument this entire season has been how the "kids" are being disregarded by the adults. Finn, Bellamy, Clarke, Octavia...they made the surface work against all odds. It's the "adults" who screw everything up by not actually listening. (Finn and Bellamy not withstanding.)
Yes.That is a strong theme from the premiere: the adults are back, and completely discount everything the "kids" have learned. Kane didn't see two men struggling over betrayl and death: he just put a couple of punks in cuffs for fighting. It is almost painful to watch the adults ignore everything the kids learned and repeat all the mistakes at greater scale and cost.This is probably a great theme for the CW, since that's the refrain of youth: the world would be better if the adults listened to the kids.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I've not understood that from the President. He's not evil, but I understand that he, viewed the kids as a means to their longevity. He's lied to Clarke from the beginning about Ark survivors.What did I miss towards a contrary view?
After Jasper donated his blood to save Maya, and the procedure was proven as successful with the Ark survivors as with the grounders, President Wallace met with the doctor who carried it out and his son (who's conducting the horrific experiments with Lincoln and other grounders) in a dark hallway. Wallace made it pretty clear that he had given direct orders that the kids from the Ark were not to be experimented on, and that the doctor had gone directly against those orders. After her experiment was proven successful, Wallace still wasn't fully on board, with the result that his son walked away telling him that he had a decision to make.Given that, it's pretty clear that Wallace doesn't view the people from the Ark the same way he views the grounders. If I had to guess, his original plan in taking in the kids from the Ark was to breed better resiliency to the radiation into the gene pool by having his people pair off with the Ark kids over time. Not as any sort of forced breeding plan, but rather through natural mingling and attraction.
DaveF said:
Yes.That is a strong theme from the premiere: the adults are back, and completely discount everything the "kids" have learned. Kane didn't see two men struggling over betrayl and death: he just put a couple of punks in cuffs for fighting. It is almost painful to watch the adults ignore everything the kids learned and repeat all the mistakes at greater scale and cost.This is probably a great theme for the CW, since that's the refrain of youth: the world would be better if the adults listened to the kids.
The other way to look at is that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The adults from the Ark refuse to learn from the kids, so they are doomed to repeat the kids' mistakes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
DaveF said:
Adam Lenhardt said:
The other way to look at is that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The adults from the Ark refuse to learn from the kids, so they are doomed to repeat the kids' mistakes.
I find it really odd, being 35, to still be in the middle of the kids vs. adults argument. Even though I'm technically an adult, I still identify with this group of kids. Maybe because I/we followed them through season one and know what they've done right and wrong. Part of me understands, from an adult perspective, why Abby and Kane don't listen to them. They are only "kids" in their minds. But then, from the other side, this group of criminal kids was sent to Earth to die. Let's be honest about it. No one ever expected them to survive for very long, let alone defy all odds and help the Ark find a new resting place. That's the point Raven was trying to make...and she made it well, in my mind.

From the other side, Clarke knows, for instance, the Grounders aren't the problem. But, as is a tired and old cliche at this point, no one is going to listen to her. It's a trope as old as time, when you boil it down. It's maddening, frustrating and point blankly disrespectful.

Now, are Abby's reasons for not mounting a rescue solid? Sure. She has to think about the Ark survivors as well as any number of things. But she never even gave Clarke the time of day. She literally told Clarke, "I'm in charge. I made a decision. Do as I say. We're done." That's the same trap Kane fell into right before he handed over the chancellorship to her.

I will say, though, I found this episode to be the most compelling of the season, particularly because some of the characters (ie. Raven) were actually using their brains and using the same arguments I was going over in my head.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The status of the people in Mount Weather is.. complicated. They are facing really difficult decisions, and is using human guinea pigs a chance for them to stop being slaves to living underground in bunkers? It's a nice moral problem that the show handles in a way to give you a lot of grey and not a lot of ground to really give up on any character.

Some of the decisions are a bit too cute by half, but I'm really enjoying the Mount Weather storyline

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's so much more interesting for the surprise reveal to be that President Wallace is not the bad guy, at least as far as his intentions toward the kids from the Ark are concerned (the grounders might disagree...).

It'll be interesting to see if Maya retains her immunity to the radiation as a result of Jasper's transfusion. If she does, the Ark kids at Mount Weather should probably suck it up, cure everybody, and make this whole dreadful enterprise obsolete.

I also liked the storyline with Jaha and Kane, with the duel to the death turning out to be a social experiment to give the leader of this grounder camp the opportunity to evaluate both men candidly. I wish they'd come up with a better explanation for why she'd been left in the pit with them; it made it pretty obvious that there was more to her than met the eye, and I kind of expected Jaha or Kane to pick up on that. Alycia Debnam Carey (who's just been cast as one of the series leads on the "Walking Dead" spin off) brought something interesting to the role. She was required to be a lot of different things, and pulled them all off believably.

Finn is obviously still in the denial phase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 100 keeps surprising! I wonder too if the transfusions weaken the Ark kids? Does it have the opposite effect and diminish their ability to withstand radiation?Of the scenarios I anticipated with Lincoln and the experiments, I did not consider Mt Weather is creating the Reapers.The only aspect not satisfying to me was Finn. But there's time and indications that storyline isn't done.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Of the scenarios I anticipated with Lincoln and the experiments, I did not consider Mt Weather is creating the Reapers.
Forgot to mention this; it surprised me too. I guess they create them as sort of guard dogs for their more vulnerable entrance points.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This show does a great job of keeping interest and keeping things moving. I remember thinking when I saw the clean white room at Mt. Weather at the end of season one, that the show would be just like Lost and get all diffused and meaningless, but I have been pleasantly surprised. If anything, season 2 is better, although the arrival of the grownups on the ground has kind of put a damper on things. They let Finn roam free after slaughtering innocents but shackle the other guy for beating a known murderer.

When I saw the first couple of episodes, I thought, "I hope this doesn't end up being a show where young people do stupid things." If anything, it's the grownups doing stupid things.

But I love the show. Good writing. Full episodes.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Little confused by the grounder commander. She sees the ark survivors are genuine in their wanting for peace....yet then tells the ark survivors to leave. Yes, i know blood for blood. But, you could say the grounders also had blood on their hands from last season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Grounder Commander twist was something I should have seen coming...but I didn't. Caught me off guard, as did her ultimatum. I think I know what the writers are trying to get at: a big battle with lives hanging in the balance in the midseason finale on 12.17. I just don't understand why the Grounder Commander seemed to accept Kane and Jaha and then wants to start a war. There's something weird going on with that...

Secondly, it's about time Abby took someone younger than she is seriously. We know she trusts Raven (going back to the Ark) and this was a perfect time to show Abby coming around. Raven's line about knowing what Clarke would do was a little snarky, but I'll forgive it for the time being.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
todd s said:
Little confused by the grounder commander. She sees the ark survivors are genuine in their wanting for peace....yet then tells the ark survivors to leave. Yes, i know blood for blood. But, you could say the grounders also had blood on their hands from last season.
I also was a confused by it. But, prompted by your question, thought about it a little more and it makes sense: The Ark leaders have some honor and interest in peace, shown by Marcus. But he has no control over his people, dangerously so, evinced by the (unsanctioned) massacre by one of his. And his peer, Jaha, is not wholly honorable, attempting to negotiate with the life of the seeming slave girl (the commander) after Marcus' noble act.

These are people you can afford to not slaughter, but you absolutely don't want them anywhere near you. So: leave now or die.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
LOVED the ending to this weeks ep. Brilliant moral question, where I think a lot of the audience is going to be divided because, while 'one of them' Finn no doubt is also a war criminal. So, Clark may struggle with this.. but it makes it a moral grey area where it is easy to understand either conclusion they reach.

The same decision is going on in Mt. Weather.. kids are potential for a future; but that may mean killing them - can the president hold out against those who want to see the surface?

Interesting stuff.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
LOVED the ending to this weeks ep. Brilliant moral question, where I think a lot of the audience is going to be divided because, while 'one of them' Finn no doubt is also a war criminal. So, Clark may struggle with this.. but it makes it a moral grey area where it is easy to understand either conclusion they reach.
Yes. On one hand, you never turn over one of your own people to the enemy. On the other hand, you're putting the one over the existential needs of the many. There's no guarantee that Jaha will be able to lead them to the City of Light. The entire civilization of the Ark might die because Finn had tunnel vision and an itchy trigger finger.
The same decision is going on in Mt. Weather.. kids are potential for a future; but that may mean killing them - can the president hold out against those who want to see the surface?
And then, after the president emphatically refuses, he's painting his painting and looks over at the flower from the surface. The metaphorical snake in the garden. Interesting stuff.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've gotta say, after my early "meh'ness" for the season and ragging on the adults, the second half of this block of episodes turned me around. Everyone is starting to act like real people instead of myopic dunderheads. I honestly thought the episode was going to end with a Grounder/Ark team up on the way to attack Mt. Weather. But no...it went somewhere much more interesting.

I actually applauded when Abby stood up to Jaha. There was no good reason for her to scede the chancellorship to him. He hasn't been back in camp for very long and went through a terrible ordeal to get there. Plus, as seen when he tried to take command back, Byrne is apparently loyal to Abby...or she doesn't believe in Jaha. Either way, that's going to be fun to watch going forward.

Abby listening to Raven a few weeks back was a turning point for her character. She actually trusts the 100 (well, Raven and Clarke, anyway) at this point and doesn't feel the need to treat them like kids.

So what does Abby do about Finn? Clearly, he was in the wrong and everyone knows it. But I don't think she's the kind of person to give up a kid (even though the "kid" corner has somewhat been turned in her mind). I think Finn gets a stay of execution because the 47 in Mt. Weather break out and get to camp just in time. Since this week is the mid-season finale, some big revelation would seem to be in order.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Brilliant mid-season finale tonight. There was a grim inevitability to the proceedings rooted in simple math: one murderer's life for the lives of thousands. Most shows would have found a dodge to get out of it. But that's not the kind of a show that "The 100" is. And however horrific the outcome was for our protagonists, it's hard to argue that the outcome wasn't just.

A few shows pull off flashbacks well -- "Arrow" comes to mind as an example -- but for most shows it just feels like a tired device. Not here, the flashbacks, revealing just who the spacewalker was and what a sacrifice was made, were just absolutely brutal.

And Clarke ultimately stays true to form; she has an acute understanding of what can be changed and what can't be changed. Once she accepts things in those terms, she stops worrying about what can't be changed. She did not go into the Grounder encampment to spare Finn's life. She knew that ship had already sailed. She did not go into the Grounder encampment to kill the Grounder commander. She knew that the Grounder commander was their best choice for peace and cooperation. No, she went in there to kill Finn, as compassionately and quickly as she could manage. She couldn't save his life, so she saved his death.

Can't wait to see where things go after the hiatus.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
One of the more stunning, brilliant and gutsy mid season finales this year. There are a lot of SciFi shows that could learn a lot about having big brass balls from The 100. Well written and executed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 100's mid-season semi-finale was frustratingly poor. I disliked almost all of it, start to stop. It was redeemed only at the very end when Clarke returned to the violently pragmatic Clarke of Season 1.

This episode was doomed from the start though, being the finale of the lousy Finn story. His personality rewrite to "Falling Down" psycho was too abrupt, not adequately brought to realization. Even accepting that event, the tremendous storytelling opportunity -- the story is in the consequences -- was squandered. There was nothing. He should have been a broken man, or a devestatingly frightening man. He should have pursued Clarke feverishly. Or he should have been wracked with grief and brought to a great catharsis. Something, anything.

I can only guess that the show runners were too afraid to write the story that Finn's break necessitates. Worse, I think they assumed that I, the audience, would be on Finn's side, that I empathized with this murderer of innocents and assumed all was happy. And for the last episode realized that they didn't have the audience on their side. They resorted to a cheap ploy of that Finn would be tortured to die 18 deaths -- cruel and unusual death -- and now I should recoil at the 'savages' and feel sympathy for Finn. The writers failed to embrace their own story and tell it: Finn killed innocents. His tribe had no control over their people. Justice and any reasonable path to alliance between Grounders and Sky People require his death.

Pfeh.

I say this because I like The 100, a lot. It's a smart show. It is much better than this. I can accept an episodic shows (a la Star Trek) that this the reset button every hour. And I can get into a serial, especially when it evolves its characters. But a strong serial, that writes stories requiring character evolution, but refuses to change anything, becomes maddening. Raven? Great sequence with her being crippled. RESET. Now she can run and play all the reindeer games. No change in her physical characterization, no change to the stories they would tell with her, no change to her psyche.

I was against Mt Weather being bad guys. But they sold me on it. It's smart, interesting, surprising. They are allowing the characters to be revealed and their personalities refined by the fire of their decisions. That's what I want from The 100.

I hope Finn's story is now forever forgotten, the reset button hit, and get back to what makes The 100 great scifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks